• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Vincent's restarted 2014 glog***April 1st Pic Update***

I figured it was close enough to go ahead and start my 2014 grow. I have already sown many seeds and have a few seedlings as well. Some of you may have seen towards the end of my last grow I had an in-ground garden plot tilled. It's fairly large at 30' long by 25' wide, so it'll hold way more plants than I could ever use lol. I will fill it as much as I can without going overboard..... I am going to be growing the wilds in root pouches just for convenience mainly, I will overwinter all of them hopefully. I just don't want to have to dig them up and worry about damaging their roots. I have about 15-20 seedlings under the T5's right now along with a good bit ofs eeds I'mwai ting to pop up, and my lonely hydro plant (Yellow Daisy Cutter).

Here is a list of the seeds I've sown so far. The ones with a * beside it indicates that at least one has sprouted. This is definitely not a final list and will change constantly until mid January probably.

Forgot to add C. Parvifolium to that list. No sprouts yet though.

I will probably add

MOA Scotch Bonnet
Not Black Naga X Yellow Scotch Bonnet (my own cross, will not release)
My unnamed black hybrid (will not release)
7 pot Primo X (can't release)
7 Pot Jonah Yellow
7 Pot Chaguanas Yellow
7 Pot Rennie Red
7 Pot Rennie Brown
Brazilian Ghost Pepper
Cili Goronong
7 Pot Barrackpore Chocolate *pending trade*
Trinidad Scorpion VV7
Aji Pineapple
UBSC

There's a few more I can't remember. I am almost certain I will have to make some cuts, but I don't know which ones that will be lol. Some of them I'm only growing 1 plant just to (a)see if I like it, and (b) I'm runnning out of seed.

Love the CFL's. They look so mean. Your rig is nicer than mine though. It's good to know you can always essentially double the number of bulbs under the hood if you need to.

None of the plants that I had under that rig had any bad reaction to the sun, either. Easy hardening for them!

Loving the lights and those Horticubes look like they are a good investment!!   Yoou have some great varieties on the list this year and look like you have more sprouts then you know what to do with!!  Best of luck with the season ahead

Nice pics of your sprouts cousin, I got a couple of sheets of the inch and a quarter Horticubes that I think I'll use for the "difficult to germ" varieties. Cheers!

Trippa said:
Loving the lights and those Horticubes look like they are a good investment!!   Yoou have some great varieties on the list this year and look like you have more sprouts then you know what to do with!!  Best of luck with the season ahead
Horticubes are a fantastic investment. I do have way more than I could ever grow. I will be selling seedlings come March just so I won't have to cull any
stickman said:
Nice pics of your sprouts cousin, I got a couple of sheets of the inch and a quarter Horticubes that I think I'll use for the "difficult to germ" varieties. Cheers!
I like the 1.25 much more than the 1.5, heck I'd use them for everything lol

coheed196 said:
Horticubes are a fantastic investment. I do have way more than I could ever grow. I will be selling seedlings come March just so I won't have to cull any

Wish I could find them in Australia for my little hydroponic plan ....alas so far no dice ...

Howdy cousin!
   How are things out your way? It's been a few weeks since your last post, and inquiring minds want to know... ;)

After waiting 3 weeks for Brown Egg and Pequin seeds to germinate, I finally pulled the plug on them and broke out the Horticubes. I got a little crazy and planted Goat's Weed, Chintexle, Dilley Street Tamwork and Wild Brazil too... thanks for the tip!
SANY0792_zps7e68fc6d.jpg

Yes, great shots Vincent. I'm especially curious about how the Marconi X Jalapeno pods out.

All of you Horticube users seem to have very good germ rates and times.
My rates and time were just OK -cluster sown in medium on a heat pad, but I think they could have done just a little better.
I'm about through with sprouting chinense and the bacctums for the year , and annums don't seem to be as finicky or slow, so maybe next year.

I saw a two pack of 1" cubes that on line would be about all I'd need for everything.

How has breaking them up and putting them in labeled cups worked out?
Looks like a good idea. 

coheed196 said:
Thanks Devv. I am absolutely loving the horticubes so far. I doubt I'll ever use anything else again if I can help it.

First off the sheet I'm using is the 104 cells (I bought a 2 pack) it was just a wee bit longer than the 1020 trays I had. I separated the last row so it would fit and so I could pour water into the bottom more easily. Anyways here's what I have done. I set the sheet in the tray. I poured water into the tray until it reached about halfway up the sheet. I let them soak for an hour or so then poured the water out. (DANGER DANGER, DO NOT TRY TO PICK UP THE SHEET WHEN POURING THE WATER OUT! IT WILL DEFINITELY BREAK) it gets much heavier than you would ever think. The only thing I have a tiny wee little problem with is that the holes are a little bit deeper than I would like. They are between 1/2 and 3/4 of an inch deep. I usually go 1/4 inch deep. The way to fix that is to take the end of a pencil, blount end of tweezers, anything blount really and since the horticubes are foam....it crumbles easily. So basically just push some of the foam from the "wall" of the hole into the bottom and fill the hole in to desired depth. I don't cover the seed with anything, out of the 15 or seeds that have sprouted, I had I think 2 helmet heads. The foam does very well at scraping off the seed casing.

Long story but bottom line is I am loving them. It is hard to tell the moisture just by looking at them but if you barely scratch the cube with a nail, tweezers, pencil lead, water should show where you cut it.

Been using rockwool, but think I want to give these a shot now! So you're using the 1.25" cubes then right? And so you don't cover the seed at all by crumbling the foam over the hole? Just leave it totally open to the air/light?

Back