spirits vokda aging experiment

well after watching the "coping with bad whisky" video i thought "i wonder what aged vodka would be like? perhaps it would make it more interesting?"

and so finally getting around to doing my experiment.

so ingredients:

toasted oak sliver
5cl of Smirnoff red vodka

slivers of tasted oak
5cl of 40 creek Canadian whisky.

method

so toasted oak is put into the vodka and whisky and photographed. (pics below) then will be left for a week and then photographed again. repeat process for 2 months and document.
after 2 months taste and compare un aged and aged vodka and whisky

camera settings:
mode: P macro on -0.7 WB auto ISO 100
picture documentation:

start of experiment:

001-49.jpg

002-46.jpg

003-37.jpg

004-35.jpg

005-37.jpg

006-30.jpg

1st week:

2nd week

3rd week

4th week

5th week

6th week

7th week

8th week

tasting notes

conclusion.

please subscribe if your interested.

I'm keepin an eye on this one. Obviously it's going to be very subjective, but I wonder if it's just that easy to turn cheap liquor into smooth, drinkable liquor.

You can simply improve vodka by filtering it through a brita filter several times, but in the long run its not really worth the costs. At least according to mythbusters and on-line sources

I never heard of aged vodka... this could be the start of something interesting. Although, vodka is meant to have no impurities... and what you're doing is adding them.

You can simply improve vodka by filtering it through a brita filter several times, but in the long run its not really worth the costs. At least according to mythbusters and on-line sources

sure that may smoothen the vodka a bit but its still going to be bland and boring.

I never heard of aged vodka... this could be the start of something interesting. Although, vodka is meant to have no impurities... and what you're doing is adding them.

as said before if it makes it more interesting/enjoyable to drink im all for it

also after 24 hours theirs already some color in the vodka

I think he may have tested a little too much vodka lol. Just make ya own moonshine if ya want cheeeep. :)

Vodka has always been for mixing so as to emphasize the flavors being added to it and provide a kick. With the interest in Martini's increasing and now infused Vodkas becoming popular I think it will be interesting to see what happens here. May be just colored Vodka but there are flavor notes that could be passed on to. Vanilla, Carmel to name a couple. This well be very interesting to watch. It will also be interesting to see if N_FF can go that long without giving into the temptation to have a taste.

Cheers

I have been loving some vodka infusions lately that I created.My favorite is a bloody mary vodka infused with lemon and aji limon!I only infused the vodka with the aji for eight hours and it was quite spicy!42 below was my vodka of choice,I've been getting it for $7.99 a liter!What a steal!

A good one is to infuse your moonshine with a lot of chillis, then after a few months filter that through activated coconut carbon. Looses all the heat but retains some colour. The special bit is how smooth it makes it to mix with anything. Truly magical.

ok cumilation of the experiment..

it darkened up the vodka but ended up making it taste like a rotten stick. so failure. my hypotisis is that you need the vessel to actualy breathe in order to impart complex flavors.

Back