• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Volunteers!

How long do give these guys who just decided to pop up in a hard, arid patch of ground where I throw away unwanted seeds (for various reasons). Yes, it looks a little damp at the moment, but that's due to a little rain we had this morning... 99% of the time, this patch does not see water and the sun absolutely beats down on it. Every day these guys wilt like you wouldn't believe and I think it's over; come the afternoon, bang, they're normal again! Seriously unbelievable I tell ya!

I can't water them either, there is no penetration... the water just runs away.

IMG_1108.jpg

IMG_1111.jpg

The area that this one sits is a little looser I guess, but damn, still no real water penetration!
IMG_1117.jpg

This one here I am hoping is a Bush Tomato... I can't be sure though as all the others I planted failed to germinate.
IMG_1113.jpg

Bent used to tell us how his habernero plant growing beside his garage pumped in crappy two inch deep soil!

Damn. It's just so freakin' crazy!

I have a feeling these guys here may be Habs - of the Choc kind. If not, they definitely look like some type of Chinense though, yeah?

I had a Wild Brazil plant pop up in a crack in my driveway a couple of years ago. It grew about 2 1/2 feet tall and produced peppers that year.

It kinda makes me wonder why we go through all the trouble pre-soaking seeds, using special lighting and soil combinations, heat mats, and exotic fertilizers to provide the right conditions for growth when they usually can do just fine on their own. What would they do without us?

Alan

Mister_Al said:
It kinda makes me wonder why we go through all the trouble pre-soaking seeds, using special lighting and soil combinations, heat mats, and exotic fertilizers to provide the right conditions for growth when they usually can do just fine on their own. What would they do without us?

:lol:

These three guys look like they're gonna do better than any of my others! Short, stocky, and overall more resilient.

Next year I'm thinking I will go for more of the sow-the-seed-and-see-what-happens approach.

All the volunteers I have ever had have produced better than the ones I planted myself. I say leave it alone, dont water, dont fert, let it do its thing and it will reward you.

gasificada said:
Next year I'm thinking I will go for more of the sow-the-seed-and-see-what-happens approach.

I am a recovering seed soaker. It is liberating not having all the random containers strewn all over the house soaking!. And if the seedz good,you don't even need to IMO.

I have never soaked any of my seeds, seems like an PITA for no reason!

Edit: Oh wait i lie, i soaked some seeds in a baggy once but forgot about them. Doh!

And yeah, seed soaking is a PITA! :lol:

I use an ice cube tray... but first I gotta write down what is what. I'm pretty sure I'm over it........

Yeah you be over it. t's a load of bs for most chilli seeds i think. Mullies on the other hand.....

Catnip works.

I like to soak in some peroxide (did chlorine last year, but I've read it interferes with plant cell reproduction) in order to disinfect the seed coat from any pathogens.

Another thing I noticed about a volunteer pepper plant in my garden is that it always grew true to the parent plant. For three years in a row I had a volunteer Lemon Drop plant spring up in my garden and all three years it always had pods that were a perfect example of the parent plant even though they sprouted and grew among Habanero plants and a variety of Super Hots. You'd think that after a couple of years some sort of variation would have come through from cross pollination, but it never did.

Alan

Back