• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! Cheese Throwdown

Okay, who brought the cheese?!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked them all, but Badger gets my vote. I am a sucker for berries and fataliis. I am not usually a huge dessert fan, but that looks fantastic.

same here not big on the sweets but badge got my vote. all i could think about was laying down in a big plate of it!

"It Was A Dark And Stormy Night" By Snoopy

Part I
It was a dark and stormy night. Suddenly, a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed.
Suddenly, a pirate ship appeared on the horizon!
While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
Part II
A light snow was falling, and the little girl with the tattered shawl had not sold a violet all day.
At that very moment, a young intern at City Hospital was making an important discovery. The mysterious patient in Room 213 had finally awakened. She moaned softly.
Could it be that she was the sister of the boy in Kansas who loved the girl with the tattered shawl who was the daughter of the maid who had escaped from the pirates?
The intern frowned.
“Stampede!” the foreman shouted, and forty thousand head of cattle thundered down on the tiny camp. The two men rolled on the ground grappling beneath the murderous hooves. A left and a right. A left. Another left and right. An uppercut to the jaw. The fight was over. And so the ranch was saved.
The young intern sat by himself in one corner of the coffee shop. He had learned about medicine, but more importantly, he had learned something about life.
THE END

Snoopy

My most favorite novel ever!!!! :cool:

So, Scovie may have cut the cheese, but TheBiz BROUGHT the cheese...(with ~40 ounces (aka 2.5 pounds...aka ~over 1 kilo of cheese!) That's right, Folks, we gots us a KILO-cheesesmacker here!...

But ... :mope: I'm the only one who actually MADE cheese, and I ain't getting no lovin's.

Missed our cheesey kings Pauly and TB...... ???......ah well.... life happens.....

I'm voting for Padawan KeybrdKid! You show initiative to "research" what the topic is and the ingredients, the history tidbits are appreciated, did a great job of presentation....

besides, who couldn't vote for something with bacon, cheese, potatoes and somethige spicy?

WIN! in any combination~

Fatalli cheesecake would be my secret sin~~~ been having strange dreams about that ever since Justaguy posted his recipe and story from the chilefest a couple years ago....

edit-
I didn't follow all of the prelim/TD posting and basically only looked at the posts linked in the vote. General note to TD participants, please make sure your final entry is as detailed in the basic TD rules!

Some people don't follow all the bitter-batter of chatter along a TD and only look at your final posts. If your final post is missing things like preparation descriptions, ingredients list (doesn't have to be a pic), .....

Just two cents here:

I do give consideration to home-made ingredients, as long as they're "made" - someone getting fresh veggies from their garden doesn't do it for me (most of us who grow can do that, for one thing, and we have people here on different sides of the planet - can't control when your peak season is), but making bread, cheese, etc. does. However, at the end of the day that is often simply one ingredient in a dish, and the TD is about the dish. But while I am certain that SL's alfredo sauce was heads above other alfredo sauces, I'm just not a pasta fan - that dish did not appeal to me nearly as much as others did. And not voting for a dish because you know someone else will? Is that a joke? You should be voting for a dish based on what you think is best, not on what other people think. Are or have you cast your vote for president based on what other people think? As a participant, I would much prefer a vote because someone really thought my dish was best, and have fewer votes, rather than have a vote because someone didn't want to vote for someone else.

there is no best, and there's nothing wrong w/ positioning my vote based on D's to cover the TWO dishes WE both liked best ...

you had a bone to pick w/ how i decided last month, too ...

haters-gonna-hate.jpg

No hate here - just giving my thoughts on the subject. You only get one vote apiece, and while you are married, you're still separate people with your own likes and dislikes. I can appreciate that deciding on which dish gets your vote is difficult (and sometimes VERY difficult!), as there have been times it's basically come down to a coin toss for me, as I know it has for others. But in the end, we all have to decide for ourselves which earns our one vote. To me, saying you're giving your vote to dish X because someone else is voting for dish Y comes across as something about X is not really up to snuff - a back-handed compliment.

we're not married, but that's not largely relevant here ... especially since D and I almost never agree on anything ...

either way ... it's really hard to decide for me for some reason ...

a really inspired app is a thing of beauty, and apps for dinner is cool and the gang ... but i have trouble weighing it against an entrée that perhaps is much more involved, took a lot of work, made a lot of dishes, cost a lot ...

either way, i stuck to my guns and voted for what i said i would after last month's vote ... the most novel, and for me, that was the dessert this time ...

the fact that i might have voted for SD's if D had gone for the dessert, simply highlights that i found them equally awesome, based on differing metrics ...

it's all good.

The gratin looks great. I love the bacon and gruyere. It looks like it is adapted from a recipe on the net, which is fine, but I would have swapped the arugula for roasted poblanos. I saw the green and got excited, but I am not too exited about cooked arugula, even though it is my favorite salad green. I think that would have "THPafied" it.

Still looking.

Okay I got a good look. Gotta go with SCOVIE'S fondue!

For the simple fact that... I can have a sausage and pepper hero (brat, roasted jalapenos, bread) dipped in beer cheese and have it all in one bite, on a skewer. The ultimate beer brat? I dig. That's impressive. Can mix it up, add some taters. And the flavors kick ass! Woot.

SCOVIE! SCOVIE! SCOVIE!

Just realized I broke a 9-9 tie. This is getting good!

This is awesome! I looove the diversity goin on here. And Badger's dessert is strong!
Everybody did an incredibly smashing bang-up job, it's making it hard for me to vote,
but by the looks of it, I might need to hold off in case I need a tie breaking vote, ;) (the ONLY time I would ever vote for myself).
This is exciting, and everyone is getting some love.

I am leaning towards SalsaLady because I like her views on Foriegn Affairs and Health Care...

Now THAT'S cheesy!!!

Could it be?....

Possibly?....

file-177.jpg

:cheers: Y'ALL!

It's hard to beat some good "Fun-do" on the counter..........Hey Scov....tell me that's a new oven...if not I vote twice for having such a clean one...

You would be the one for sure, to notice that! yep it's only about a month old, concealed bottom burner, so you pour 10oz of distilled water on the bottom, and 20 minutes later... steam cleaned...who knew?

I agree wit ya scovie, only reason I voted for myself is I want a crown. If I had one already I totally woulda voted for salsalady

I agree wit ya scovie, only reason I voted for myself is I want a crown. If I had one already I totally woulda voted for salsalady

AHHHHH! Please take no offense!
We have had this, "vote for yourself, don't vote yourself" conversation before.

You deserve a crown bro, that cheesecake, is incredible,
and your presentation is picture-book worthy, (and not the color in yourself kind :) )

Oh no offense taken! It's just funny cuz I had that whole debate with myself. And thanks very much for the compliment!

But ... :mope: I'm the only one who actually MADE cheese, and I ain't getting no lovin's.

I have a pasta pet peeve. Sauce on top of naked pasta. If you would have cooked it together for a bit in the pan it would have worked some magic and each noodle would be coated perfectly (and it cooks into it a little). Then, take tongs, give it a twirl on the plate (presentation). Sorry, I couldn't pull the trigger on that one, but I may have otherwise! Nice job on the cheese.

I can have a sausage and pepper hero (brat, roasted jalapenos, bread) dipped in beer cheese and have it all in one bite, on a skewer. The ultimate beer brat? I dig. That's impressive. Can mix it up, add some taters. And the flavors kick ass! Woot.

that was exactly my reasoning - not only the food itself, but the method of nom nom nom-ing it. Something about stabbing a piece of food, dunking it and chowing it appealed to me. It might be a trick of the format - we can't taste anything here of course, but I can fully imagine interacting with Scovie's dish and that seemed somehow more appealing/fun than the other dishes.

So maybe it's not an entirely fair reason to vote for it, but Scovie's choice of dish style, and the fact that it's an interactive dish required me to think about how I would eat it, which had a major impact on my vote.

SL - MAJOR kudos on the cheese. I would love to be able to give it a try, as I know everything you make is great!

(Edit: Ok, I know you would disagree with that, as you've refused to post an entry a couple times for one reason or another. But I didn't see them, so in my mind, they were still great!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back