• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! Chili and Cornbread Throwdown

Chili and Cornbread

• Essegi - [url="http://thehotpepper.com/topic/53006-begin-chili-and-cornbread-throwdown/?p=11139

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • keybrdkid - [url="http://thehotpepper.com/topic/53006-begin-chili-and-cornbread-throwdown/?p=11

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm increasingly inspired by TB's in your face, half eaten, thumb ring shots.

There's something to that dirty plate realness.

He knows it. It's recognized.

I'm smashing a Busch Light can in his honor. 

TB... you were missed in this TD. But don't fret.... SoFlo was thinking of you!

frydad4 has 7 crowns
Sum has 7 crowns

frydad leads Chili
Sum leads Veggie

This just got personal. The SoFlo Race to 8!

Will one of them make it? Will both???!!! Will neither???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:woohoo:

Late night vote time come on now.......

The Hot Pepper said:
I liked Essgi's first chili attempt and presentation (this dude loves his volcanos lol) and I bet it tasted great.
Thanks boss! To tell the truth i'm happy no one voted it. The idea is good, it looks good too, there was too much guanciale and maybe it was cut too thick (not cooked to perfection, also i think that it wasn't a great guanciale). Also sharp cheddar and that bread aggravated the salty feeling (strange stuff, since it was extremely fat salt factor was persistent. I must say that lately i'm more sensitive to salt...). Taste was still really good but it needed to be cooked/balanced better. Also i'm not sure that onion was an improvement (and that's quite a statement for me) or beans.

Aside Husker and spysee i want to commend JJJesse, i liked the detailed description, quality ingredients and spices used.

Well once again I agree with teh Bossman's choices for pretty much the same reasons.

Husker21 - great colour, complexity of flavours and consistency!  Sweet, smoky, earthy and spicy. nomnomonomomon.  Love the half/half of chuck and pork shoulder.  Would make a great sausage! hmmmmmmmmm :think:

spysee - nice simple list of ingreds. The main ones being chillies!  Hence a chili i s'pose...  :lol:  Nice balance of flavours! And like Husker21 great final colour and consistency

zdecker said:
Beerbreath81, you did the exact dish I was going to do if I entered, and you rocked it. Good job. My daughter saw the picture and asked if we could have that for dinner one night, but not spicy :)
Thanks ZD, I was a little worried, never done a cornbread mix in waffle iron. I wasnt sure if the waffles would turn out the way i entended, big sigh of relief when i opened the waffle iron. Another when i tasted them. The texture was really fluffy and taste was on point IMO, could definatly taste the honey in there.

Been doing a lot of back and forth on this one. Chili is one of my favorite dishes and I would like to try each and every one here. So hard to choose just one. Got it down to three but still havent settled.

FD's--chili on a grill with little added smoke...big +, bit sized corn dogs....++. Killed the batter on them bastards, damn those look tasty.

Joyners--The 36 hours that went into that, the grinding of your own meat, making of your own chorizo, the choice of peppers, to the posting of the final pics...WOW, just WOW!!

Sums--Fairly classic Chili on cheesy hot cakes, and pepperonci in pancakes :shocked:  thats one I'm gonna have to try..NICE!

Again, great jobs to all, this one was fun!

Too many entries to sort through!  Everyone's efforts are to be lauded.  Chili is something that means different things to different people.  Ones that stood out to me:
I loved BeerBreath's chili over cornbread waffle - definitely the most unique prep/presentation, but then again Phil's cornbread bowl was outta site too.  Salsa Lady's blue corn and white chicken chili was an excellent departure from the classic 'bowl of red'.  Keybrdkid's bowl of red really caught my eye and ultimately is something I'd punish nearly as harshly as my own late at night when the munchies kick in. Dreams of wonderment!

The rabbit chili got me.  Something about those long cooked shreds in that thin spicy broth...  Damn good!  I'll make it myself when Jay T comes visiting. :)

Veggie side I liked Spys recipe the best and Sum's presentation the best.  Recipe wins out.  

Great throw down guys.  Proud that this was the first one I participated in.   

The white chicken chili and blue cornbread was daring to say the least! Now that's a damn fine meal, where you're a crown holder, and post what you want to eat yourself with zero f**ks given! LOL!

SL be like, "I got my crowns. I'm doing geeme's blue food challenge up in here with some white chicken chili!"

Looks good SL! 

#ofFU**KSgiven.....0!

That's why I love SL!!!

I'm glad to see the entry is getting a little love too!

SmokenFire said:
Too many entries to sort through!  Everyone's efforts are to be lauded.  Chili is something that means different things to different people.  Ones that stood out to me:
I loved BeerBreath's chili over cornbread waffle - definitely the most unique prep/presentation, but then again Phil's cornbread bowl was outta site too.  Salsa Lady's blue corn and white chicken chili was an excellent departure from the classic 'bowl of red'.  Keybrdkid's bowl of red really caught my eye and ultimately is something I'd punish nearly as harshly as my own late at night when the munchies kick in. Dreams of wonderment!

The rabbit chili got me.  Something about those long cooked shreds in that thin spicy broth...  Damn good!  I'll make it myself when Jay T comes visiting. :)

Veggie side I liked Spys recipe the best and Sum's presentation the best.  Recipe wins out.  

Great throw down guys.  Proud that this was the first one I participated in.   
Thanks! It was indeed a tough choice and I appreciate your vote. This is the 2nd or 3rd one I have done. But it's been awhile. Chile just tickles my fancy so I had to get one in this time. :)

I had to vote for Sum (I hate that guy) because of the flapjacks and queso oozing out of them.  If it were purely chili, I would have went with Husker.  I also had to vote for Sum again in the veggie category because it looks damn tasty.  I really hate that guy.

Also, I really liked Fiddy's wieners. 

So you vote for one guy, while secretly coveting another guy's weiner...that's messed up, J. 

Sum, that vote doesn't mean anything. He was voting for you, while thinking of me. 

I think it's safe to say he was "faking it" when he was voting you. 

...but still text me from the shower, I love that!

Good, I wasn't serious.  I really can rock a pair of jean shorts though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptPekKOigkQ&index=19&list=RD0u8teXR8VE4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back