• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! Chinese Throwdown

General Tso's Chicken

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have learned that it is all about the light.  I took pictures both in sunlight and in my kitchen for this TD.  I think most of the ones I used were from the direct sunlight.   This TD was hard to vote for because the head to head all looked so similar.  I think D3 hit it on the head...one minor ingredient change...is all it takes to sway the vote.  

tctenten said:
I have learned that it is all about the light.  I took pictures both in sunlight and in my kitchen for this TD.  I think most of the ones I used were from the direct sunlight.   This TD was hard to vote for because the head to head all looked so similar.  I think D3 hit it on the head...one minor ingredient change...is all it takes to sway the vote.  

Yep and the style you are used to eating. I love a strong ginger flavor in General Tso's chicken and just a "sheen" of sauce. Around here it is usually served in a ring of broccoli. I don't like Sweet and Sour but the use on manzano, fresh plums and the bright yellow sauce looked/sounded tasty. The slight char on the onions and pineapple. Same with the lo mein. The ever so slight grill marks on the shrimp, baby corn and just the right amount oil/sauce coating the noodles.

It all looked so good i had to get overly critical to pick a winner. Something as simple as a "Super Premium Oyster Sauce" could tip the scales in this one.

charlesquik said:
Well I know one of the reason I am going to lose is because I have shitty picture.
Not everyone can afford those Nikon at 1000$
I'm stuck with my phone camera and that make shitty picture.

Glad you entered man! Hope to see more.

Pics were great. I chose SF because it was the best to me and the big difference, he made a batter with eggs and water, and you just floured. S&S to me is a batter, I love the puffy little fritters but you need a batter for that style. Hope this helps. It wasn't pics at all for me. (In fact they are quite similar for composition and you did good.)

He also had a bite/cut pic and it's always good to see the insides of things and/or layers.

It's worth pointing out that I voted for yours ...

I shouldn't mention photos because it's always 'a thing' when I do, but with so many entries being SO similar this time, photos counted ...

I'm not just talking about sharpness, not at all ... more likely I'm talking about the white-balance in earnest ..

What makes sunlight so effective (for me, at least) is that the food looks true ...

I am not moved to the same extent by food photography when the meat is blueish green ... instead of tending towards warmth etc ...

The white or yolk when it's eggs ... the red of tomato ... etc etc etc ...

Also, after that, and still we ahead of sharpness, is the 1st impression of picture ... where does the composition draw my eye ... and is there a horizon, one made straight if it wasn't otherwise ...

Raichlen was getting into symmetry and our preference for it while loading up skewers the other day on his show - and I felt validated ...

So ... when I say pictures ... this is NOT about camera lenses or mega-pixels (I used my better camera for only the second time ever this time - and it's because I knew Ozzy uses his and drags in his work lights) ...

99.9% of the pictures I've uploaded to the site were taken with a iPhone ... but I take the hour after a TD to rotate and crop and adjust the exposure and color-cast so that the pictures are as 'effortless' for the viewer as I can ...

This time Grass Snake and tctenten were dead heat in terms of dish ...

There's was almost nothing to tell them apart without being able to smell or taste them ...

I thought that tctenten went a little further than usual than in times past with post-processing his pictures, and leaned his way today, even though part of me wanted to lean towards helping someone get their first crown ... and, consistent with myself, tctenten's had a little bit of char showing on his shrimp right up front ... when it's THAT CLOSE, it's a detail that makes the difference ...

I flipped back and forth 30 times.

Grass Snake said:
I put Led bulbs in my kitchen which helps a little...

You got it. The color casting of LED's is more white ...

Every pic I've posted on THP up to this TD was taken on my blackberry z10.  Then the Cubs won and I flung it in the air in celebration and now I have an android.  :)

Charles your entry was great.  Way above what I'd consider a 'first time' entry, and made me sweat some details I assure you.  

Voting criteria for me usually revolves around what I'd personally want to eat first, then attention to TD mission second, then art work/pictures third.  I used to think it was just a battle of the digital nikons, but after getting a few under my belt I learned it wasn't.

This TD vote was especially difficult since I know and respect the skills of all the participants.  More than the voting though this TD pushed me to do things I wouldn't normally do (like make plum sauce as a secret ingredient for my sweet and sour sauce) and ended with me having a definitive go to version of a comfort food of my childhood.  Even the kids liked it, which is hella rare for most THP inspired dishes.  I had a great time watching the entries come in and researching/putting together my own.  All around one of the best, which I feel like I say almost every time lol.  :)  

Loved the plum sauce from scratch, that always gets my attention on a site so focused on sauces, and the yellow sauce itself with no ketchup or dye. Fantastic entry. 

PS. You forgot to list your plum sauce recipe but I saw the raw plums.

The Hot Pepper said:
Loved the plum sauce from scratch, that always gets my attention on a site so focused on sauces, and the yellow sauce itself with no ketchup or dye. Fantastic entry. 

Thanks! The recipe is there, just above the pic of the plums stewing in the pot. I figured the pic would be a bit more meaningful just after I put the plums in, before I mashed everything to form the sauce.

The Hot Pepper said:

I had the pics/recipe but wasn't able to get fit it all in.  Also couldn't edit in the 1 cup of pineapple before the lock.  :)

I'll put up the plum sauce in cooking w fire later this weekend. 

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Thanks! The recipe is there, just above the pic of the plums stewing in the pot. I figured the pic would be a bit more meaningful just after I put the plums in, before I mashed everything to form the sauce.

Haha too funny I meant SF. But I voted for yours and loved that plum sauce too. In fact I mixed you guys up and thought it was the same person with 2 entries for a sec so it's okay you mixed this up. :lol:

Student of Spice said:
Winning, a lot of winning. There is so much winning in here, hell demonic is winning bigly!! I don't believe this poll, its rigged, votes are being switched!!  :rofl: 
i kid, i kid, i kid

So much love in here  :rofl:

Sorry, I know you got hit outta left field with a last minute contestant switch. I apologize for that. I still  enjoyed competing though. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back