• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! FINAL ROUND - Pizza Party Throwdown Overall

Best Pizza

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Boss, I just edited my post.  Hope it will stay in the edited format. 

Yes let's get this back on track.

I'm using the same smilie.

PIC 1 said:
ok.............i'm done..............................drinking.................................but I did work for Maddie Albright................... :lol:
Please don't be done with drinking! 

Go stay at a Holiday Inn Express if needed (lol), and then get back to freaking awesome cooking so I can re-wine with comfort that you'll be posting awesome pics for us to be drooling over for days on end......

Scoville DeVille said:

Who you voting for?

1.) Yourself
2.) Yourself
3.) Yourself
4.) FB
5.) JT

slim choices, really.

Go FreeportBurn! (sorry JayT, I don't eat dessert)

No need to convince me.......
salsalady said:
Please don't be done with drinking! 

Go stay at a Holiday Inn Express if needed (lol), and then get back to freaking awesome cooking so I can re-wine with comfort that you'll be posting awesome pics for us to be drooling over for days on end......

Alright I'll calm down...and leave for a bit,......been a tough day, we always work in partners at the airport...but somebody decided to drop into a 480 vault to repair some 3-phase work........but left in an ambo...............a good old friend..............you can relate right..?

PIC 1 said:
......been a tough day, we always work in partners at the airport...but somebody decided to drop into a 480 vault to repair some 3-phase work........but left in an ambo...............a good old friend..............you can relate right..?
YES!  we can relate.......  no need to say more.   Sending prayers for Someone. 

This one was VERY hard for me... in fact I didn't even vote in the 29 pie poll. I ran out of time looking it was so hard. Fantastic job by everyone!

Now that it's five...

When I looked at FB's again, I was reminded that he made his own fresh mozzarella! And it melted perfectly (on this pie, not so much on some of his others, but they are not in this). The coverage was perfect, allowing areas of sauce to peek through, and there was only the slightest of browning in spots, which is perfectly acceptable if not preferred!

Sauce coverage is another thing I look for. Maybe it's a NYC thing, but the margheritas here use yes, San Marzano tomatoes, but they are a sauce consistency and the base of the pie. I don't like when there is too much cheese over just bread, so the margherita in this poll, while nicely cooked, is just not for me.

Of course the most important part, the crust. FB has a perfect puffy edge that looks airy and a nice even bottom. Perfect color, looks awesome. Rolling pin or not, I don't care. The end result is what matters, and this was the Unique category.

That brings us to the toppings. Jerk lamb. Well, I love jerk, and I love lamb, so there you go. But really that's not what sold me. It was the basics. He nailed sauce, crust, cheese. The rest was just... mouth-watering, with some nice heat from the jerk, and the sauce.

There's even thyme in the sauce to complement the jerk (yes, I caught that FB).

PIC 1 nailed the Deep Dish, and Jay's looked good but I'm not sure how it is a dessert pie with feta and onions, looks more like an appetizer/salad type pie. I'll admit I was a bit confused by calling it dessert, but that aside, it looked tasty and unique.

That's my take! FB is my pizza guy (as I stated back in The Last Great Pizza Thread) and he did not let me down!

Thanks to everyone who voted for me and the kind words. I don't have the photography skills or the following that pic1 has so it was really nice to at least beat him in one category :) this was a really fun TD and enjoyed seeing all the pizzas. Congrats to everyone who played the game.

The Hot Pepper said:
Jay's looked good but I'm not sure how it is a dessert pie with feta and onions, looks more like an appetizer/salad type pie. I'll admit I was a bit confused by calling it dessert, but that aside, it looked tasty and unique.

Simple, it is sweet and has fruit in it.  The caramelized onions give the jam a savory component, but it is very sweet.

The Hot Pepper said:
Jay's looked good but I'm not sure how it is a dessert pie with feta and onions, looks more like an appetizer/salad type pie. I'll admit I was a bit confused by calling it dessert, but that aside, it looked tasty and unique.

I have to admit that was similar to my initial thoughts when I first saw it. However, the right caramelized onions really are sweet and would add a great flavor component, IMO. I see it along the lines of adding hot pepper powder/bits to sweets - there are people (even on this site) who won't even give that a try, but they're really missing out on some great flavor combos. When I thought about it further, the flavor combo of J's just works for me.

I guess you could say my brain tells me first course, since I've had pretty much every ingredient there in a salad with a sweet vinaigrette. Figs, pears, bacon, cheese. I'm open minded on sweet/savory dessert, bacon duh heh, the onions mostly throw me.

I picture it first course in a family style setting, grab a slice before the meal.

But since all the flavors work for me, and it's just a "course" thing stuck in my head, that means it all works together, it's just me and where I see it in the meal, so it's a non-issue considering you are judging the pizza.

The voters seem to dig on the dessert idea, it won the category and it's winning this, so now Jay has to invite me over to try it. And I would. I was really impressed when I first saw it and that has not changed.

FreeportBum said:
Thanks to everyone who voted for me and the kind words. I don't have the photography skills or the following that pic1 has so it was really nice to at least beat him in one category :) this was a really fun TD and enjoyed seeing all the pizzas. Congrats to everyone who played the game.

Artsy is great, but all I need is well composed, clear shots with true colors so I can properly judge, basically, seeing exactly what you did, and seeing if it looks appetizing. One thing I noticed was in your deep dish, it sounded really cheesy, 3 cheeses I think? But you left out some crucial cheese shots and it ended up looking like it just had some dollops on top. Compared to the steps that PIC 1 showed, he had the better pics, but not because of his photography skills. His pie looked cheesier. :)

Your pics for this one... spot on!

if you see PIC, tell him i'm coming ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418591017.270257.jpg

can see the future ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418591055.005274.jpg

lol.

it's just my 5D classic from the cabinet ... no biggie ...
If this would have been pick your favorite Throwdown pizzaiola, then I'd have just picked Essegi and everything would have been fine for me ...

Given my choices, I'm picking JT because I think his represents the spirit of THP best in some totally warped way ...

I'm almost uncomfortable w/ this, but alas, it must be ... also, ties it up ...

grantmichaels said:
If this would have been pick your favorite Throwdown pizzaiola, then I'd have just picked Essegi and everything would have been fine for me ...

That's not what it is?

I didn't get home yesterday in time to vote the first round, so I want to say here what an excellent job everyone did. It really was tough to decide, particularly in a couple categories that I just could not decide on - it would have been good if each category had been a separate vote, but so be it. I was surprised that PIC's appetizer pizzas didn't make it to the final round - these would have taken my vote in the final vote, had they made it. At the same time, I liked that Key was willing to give cold-proofing dough a try and also gave his hand to a volcano for the first time - kudos for experimenting! I really never could make my mind up about the Lovers category; every time I looked at it I narrowed it down to two, and even then the two kept changing. Even now I'm thinking "that one. no, that one. no, this other one…." Just goes to show what excellent cooks are on this site!

As I write this, the vote stands at a three-way tie - so very hard to pick "the best of the best."

Gotta love this 3-way tie.

Those are def my top 3!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back