• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! Quarantine Throwdown (Special Edition)

Vote for your favorites (multiple choice)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
keybrdkid said:
hehe yeah, my SN's a bit outdated. I should change it to something else. but I'd probably lose my crowns in the process.
Keep yer crowns!

The Hot Pepper said:
Hey Guys!
I put the rules and PoL for old time's sake. But don't worry no one will be disqualified if they forget. Have fun!
Boss is getting sentimental......or....he's been there done that 100 times and just doesn't want to deal with the $#!/.

Ashen said:
I think one of the bosses first jobs was herding cats. ;)

I was adopted by this little guy, so sortve my job now too

DSCF0767.jpg

Wings and drumsticks, lightly dusted with rice flour, Korean BBq rub (You Know It's Got Seoul) and white pepper

20200525_124739.jpg

Then cooked in the Weber, some cheesy kranskys found their way in there too (POL)

20200525_140339.jpg

1/2 with sauce. half with not sauce

20200525_141417.jpg

Then served with chips ('cause it is in Australia) and coleslaw.

20200525_142120.jpg

The beer is compulsory.

Just another brisket. 11½ pounds. Rubbed with a bit of salt, pepper and garlic the day before.

At 5:30 AM I added some new red oak and lump charcoal to the grill and lit the fire in the chimineything. Poured the coals in after 15 minutes or so. Meat on at 6:45. I cooked at 200° F until the meat reached 170 and then increased the temp to 250 until the meat reached 200. Then an hour of resting. Eating at 5:30 PM. The stepped cooking temps made it amazing with a great bark. This morning it's still as tender and juicy as one of my very favorite things to eat :evil:

Edit: I forgot to add anything about the heat. My wife doesn't deal with it very well but I did add a little bit of yellow fatalii powder to the meat rub and she (bless her) used a bunch of pickled jalapeños in the BBQ sauce when she cooked that.

sEdHwbe.jpg

rtSk7qy.jpg

The kamodo grills are amazing. All day cook and have all this fuel left and very little ash in the catcher.

K4t0ZCu.jpg

Barbeque Chicken Pizza with Sourdough Crust

This pizza was the end result of several previous days of trial and errors from SalsaLady’s sourdough starter event. After a bit of help from Pepperfish and Ashen, we were able to determine that my closer proximity to the ocean in a humid environment could be potentially interfering with my sourdough starter’s ability to rise. With the suggested addition of baking powder and baking soda to the otherwise standard sourdough recipe, I was pleased to see a slight rise in my dough compared to previous attempts. It probably doesn’t taste as good this way, but I had to do what needed doing. I didn't take the sourdough starter out of the refrigerator and feed it for a day or two before the contest-since I only just found out recently there was a new TD yesterday. So there probably would have been a lot more holes in the dough had I done this beforehand. I added some foil on the bottom of my pizza plate to prevent olive oil dripping down into the oven-a problem I had on a previous attempt. The barbeque chicken pizza itself was comprised of some Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce (made extra hot in a blender with some vintage dried Devil’s Brain PL), some onion, some goat cheese, and some Monterey jack with a parmesan dust. Why goat cheese you ask? Well, it’s what I had on hand that day. Originally I wanted to use pepperoncini too, but due to the multiple failed attempts in a previous week, I ate them. And they were delicious. And this was too.

Ingredient list:

1 cup Unfed Sourdough Starter (2 week old approximately, last feeding was 1-8-8)
2 ½ cup AP Flour mix (with some Rye and Whole Wheat thrown in)
½ cup water (approx. 106 degrees)
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
A few extra teaspoons of flour mix for good luck
Goat Cheese with Sun-dried tomatoes
Monterey Jack cheese
Extra-virgin Olive oil
2 sweet onion
Chicken cubes
Sweet Baby Ray’s Barbeque sauce
Dried Devil’s Brain (Pepper Lover)
1 egg yolk (for crust egg wash)

To make Pizza dough:

*I borrowed a King Arthur pizza dough recipe here. I think if I had fed the starter before adding to recipe I would have gotten best airhole results, but I still saw a bit of a rise regardless so let’s call that a win for baking soda and/or baking powder. In the future, I would like to experiment and see where a good minimum amount of BKP and BKS to induce a dough rise lies--without sacrificing taste. Since I was just guessing at ratios here.*
  1.  To a bowl, add 2 ½ cup AP flour mix, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon baking powder, and ½ teaspoon baking soda.
  2. Whisk all above well, then add ½ cup warm water and 1 cup unfed sourdough starter
  3. Combine all, then hand knead in bowl for about 10 minutes or so or until elastic and stretchy.
  4. Return dough to bowl and add some EV olive oil-just enough to coat ball.
  5. Let rise 4 hours and check edges to see if crust springs back. If not, re-cover and let rise additional 15 minutes. Keep checking to see if springiness occurs after every 15 minutes. In my case, I was seeing a noticeable reduction in springiness after about 45 minutes, but it was a bit late, so I left the pizza crust on the counter overnight covered with a damp tea towel.
  6. Pre-slice and soak goat cheese in a bit of milk overnight to soften a bit.
  7. Pre-cook all pizza toppings and refrigerate overnight. Remove from cold somewhat prior to use.
  8. Preheat oven here to 450 degrees.
  9. In a bowl, separate one egg yolk from egg white, and whisk yolk with 1 tablespoon water.
  10. Coat the edges and top of pizza crust with egg wash.
  11. Top your pizza with prepared sauce and toppings, but no cheese at this point.
  12. Place pizza crust in oven to pre-bake for 10 minutes. This helps the dough get done more, but also to evaporate water from the toppings like the sauce to keep the dough from being soggy.
  13. After ten minutes has elapsed, temporarily remove pizza from oven and dust with parmesan cheese. Add goat cheese slices, then shredded Monterey jack cheese.
  14. Coat edges and side of pizza crust again with egg wash, then return to oven for 7 minutes. This time, turn broiler on High.
  15.  Remove from oven and check your crust color. Egg wash a third time, and adjust your oven’s heat up to 550 degrees with broiler on high.
  16.  Continue cooking pizza for about 2 minutes and 30 seconds.
  17.  Remove pizza from oven and let cool slightly. Sharpen your pizza cutter, and then slice.
  18. Enjoy!
DSCF1101.jpg

DSCF1116.jpg

DSCF1121.jpg

DSCF1142.jpg

DSCF1130.jpg

DSCF1127.jpg

DSCF1153.jpg

Final post:

Circle-H QuaranQue:

Yeah......as far as creativity goes, this one barely moves the needle.......but it IS simple, delicious, and one of the house specialties!

14-hour smoked and pulled Boston Butt.......homemade sides......including the edible mask!

hRUZnrT.jpg

i11piDo.jpg

YsIB32k.jpg

Hby4WW8.jpg

7KcBjhP.jpg

Stay safe, my friends!

REQUESTED!!!!
Not really, this is at least a PG13 show. :lol:

Sheesh, there is some freaking good cooks posting up. Thanks for sharing. Times is crazy, just stay connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back