contest VOTE! Second Annual Memorial Day User-land BBQ Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
D3monic said:
IdE1Ey3.jpg

faGUjsI.jpg
Dayum!

Thanks, was pretty good. I know country ribs aren't as good as the real thing but I got all those for like $4 and some change. Not to mention I can eat them without my hands. 

I'm very particular about touching things gloveless. Pretty sure I have sensory processing disorder. My youngest has it. I don't even like the sensation of wind on my bare hands. Gotta thrust them into my pockets. 

Salsalady's Summer Sockeye Snacks -n- Stuff

Sockeye Salmon with a dry brine, refer for 24 hours, rinse well and air dry.
Salt, Brown and White Sugar, t-scorp powder on some pieces
IMG_5399.JPG

IMG_5401.JPG

IMG_5403.JPG

IMG_5405.JPG

Applewood smoke on medium-low for (???2-3 hours???) sorry, didn't keep track~ and I just realized I didn't take a picture of the salmon pieces after the smoke, so here's one out out of the fridge.

IMG_5407.JPG

IMG_5420.JPG

Smoked Salmon Dip-
8 oz cream cheese softened
2-3 Tbsp milk
1/4 cup minced chives fresh from the flower bed
1/2 sweet red mini pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup shredded smoked salmon

Stuff in celery ribs, sprinkle with black sesame seeds, top with pieces of smoked salmon, sprinkle with pot pepper powder as desired
Dollop on crackers, make a well in the cheese dip, add a splash of your favorite hot sauce

Smoked Salmon Wrap
sushi rice
blanched asparagus
1/2 dozen chives
red pepper slivers
black sesame seeds
smoked salmon pieces
red hot sauce

Roll it up, cut into pieces and eat it with wasabi and soy sauce.

IMG_5410.JPG

IMG_5412.JPG

IMG_5416.JPG

IMG_5415.JPG

I know it looks like snacks, but one roll up and a half dozen crackers each, and that was dinner!  With a couple beers~ 

-CHEERS-

Seriously? That dip looks so damm good!

Very nice SL!

And good looking Brisket there, MaggedOut! No bread for sandwiches? Oh well, Mouth fisting works. LOL

Scoville DeVille said:
That is some fine pork sir, (even if soux videded LOL)

"Liquid smoke" Grant?   r e a l l y ?

Shit, my bully is showing. I'm sorry. I still love it GM! :lol:

This:

HOLY SHIT MAAAAN!!!!!

attachicon.gif
faGUjsI.jpg
Good enough for Kenji, good enough for Grant ;)

I mean, he only won a James Beard Foundation award this year =) ...

"Liquid smoke gets a bum rap, but it shouldn't. The good brands, such as Wright's or Colgin, are quite literally nothing more than smoke and water in a bottle. To make it, manufacturers burn hardwood—just like you would in your smoker—then run the moist smoke through a condenser, where water vapor condenses and traps the smoky constituents—just like how water vapor condenses and deposits smoke flavor on the surface of meat. This water drips down and is collected and packed into bottles.

According to gas chromatograms from flavor and fragrance experts Leffingwell & Associates, the vast majority of compounds that lend smoke its unique aroma—smoky phenols derived from burnt wood lignin, and burnt caramel–scented cyclopentenolones from cellulose—make their way into those liquid smoke bottles as well. In taste tests I've held, most folks cannot tell the difference between truly smoked meats and those treated with judiciously applied liquid smoke.

To get a smoke flavor that penetrates the meat but doesn't overwhelm it, I like to add liquid smoke directly to the sous vide bag just before sealing it. The good part is that you don't have to worry about distributing it evenly. Just shake a few drops in and seal the bag, and as the meat cooks, the juices it releases will distribute the liquid smoke flavor naturally."

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/09/the-food-lab-complete-guide-sous-vide-pork-ribs.html

Seriously though, if you haven't tried non-Liquid Smoke brand liquid smoke, I highly recommend trying it for your indoor cooks ...

Liquid Smoke is right there with Tabasco - nazty!
Magged Out said:
MEAT!

Brisket slices and Bread! We slummin it out here. Think I even forgot the bread :lol:
attachicon.gif
20160530_180627.jpg
attachicon.gif
20160530_181345.jpg
Gawd, I wish yall could taste this!
attachicon.gif
20160530_182202.jpg
Look at all that beef! Nice, man ...
salsalady said:
Summer Sockeye Snacks -n- Stuff

Sockeye Salmon with a dry brine, refer for 24 hours, rinse well and air dry.
Salt, Brown and White Sugar, t-scorp powder on some pieces
attachicon.gif
IMG_5399.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_5401.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_5403.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_5405.JPG

Applewood smoke on medium-low for (???2-3 hours???) sorry, didn't keep track~ and I just realized I didn't take a picture of the salmon pieces after the smoke, so here's one out out of the fridge.

attachicon.gif
IMG_5407.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_5420.JPG

Smoked Salmon Dip-
8 oz cream cheese softened
2-3 Tbsp milk
1/4 cup minced chives fresh from the flower bed
1/2 sweet red mini pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup shredded smoked salmon

Stuff in celery ribs, sprinkle with black sesame seeds, top with pieces of smoked salmon, sprinkle with pot pepper powder as desired
Dollop on crackers, make a well in the cheese dip, add a splash of your favorite hot sauce

Smoked Salmon Wrap
sushi rice
blanched asparagus
1/2 dozen chives
red pepper slivers
black sesame seeds
smoked salmon pieces
red hot sauce

Roll it up, cut into pieces and eat it with wasabi and soy sauce.

attachicon.gif
IMG_5410.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_5412.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_5416.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_5415.JPG

I know it looks like snacks, but one roll up and a half dozen crackers each, and that was dinner!  With a couple beers~ 

-CHEERS-
BOOM!

So nicely presented, I'd try it and cross my fingers I suddenly liked salmon - seriously!
D3monic said:
Thanks, was pretty good. I know country ribs aren't as good as the real thing but I got all those for like $4 and some change. Not to mention I can eat them without my hands. 

I'm very particular about touching things gloveless. Pretty sure I have sensory processing disorder. My youngest has it. I don't even like the sensation of wind on my bare hands. Gotta thrust them into my pockets.
Sucks ... I'm the opposite ... I like pulling my extremeties out and feeling the breeze on 'em ...

CI getting hot for some veggies.
IMG_1783_zpsjq8kubgu.jpg

Mushrooms go in first to dry out a bit.
IMG_1784_zpszghdbint.jpg

Then some red and yellow bell peppers and asparagus. Just before they were done, I sprinkled on my default asparagus seasoning: powdered rosemary, dried shallot, salt and pepper.
IMG_1785_zpsjkb7jyow.jpg

#corngate
IMG_1786_zpsn0m4s0m8.jpg

IMG_1781_zpsz3glzgxv.jpg

All plated up, yo.
IMG_1788_zpsgq3etdvb.jpg

I have to credit my wife for coming up with this idea for stuffed pork chops. She used to love a similar dish at a Spanish restaurant we used to got to when we lived in Madison. It was chicken breasts stuffed with prosciutto, basil and goat cheese. I love the flavor of chinenses and goat cheese, so that flavor combo was a no brainer for my chops (hers were without).
     The prosciutto and goat cheese really complimented the sharper flavors of the basil, the hab and the apple smoke. Smoke roasting the chops on a high heat for only about 30 minutes kept them super juicy and partially prevented the stuffing flavors from permeating the meat, so the smoky pork chop flavor was there, in all its simple meaty goodness. Perfect vehicle for the more complex stuffing flavors to jump off of. I will be making these again!

grantmichaels said:
Looks killer, all of it, but ... can't stop looking at that shroom ...

I usually try to get something like that plated up to showcase it, but this time it was serendipity. I noticed it after I posted the pic and just nodded in satisfaction. Those veggies turned out great!

JoynersHotPeppers said:
You just reminded me I have 5 ears of corn in the basement! Awesome looking food

Thank you! 
The Hot Pepper said:
Okay we effectively moved on from nipples thanks?

I thought I established that with that pic of my chop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back