• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! Show Your Heritage Throwdown

Best Heritage Meal

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
grantmichaels said:
Yeah, we went comfort-y following TC's dish too - unplanned cabbage rolls suddenly had to happen. It was an imperative, in fact, I ran to the store and forced the ingredients on Danielle yesterday!

She backed out last night, but made them today - I just couldn't get away from the computer to photograph the pretty one's ...

I have some photos I'll drop in my creed feed later, but we hulk-smashed the photogenic corningware's worth straight out of the oven =)

I been craving cabbage rolls myself. Back when I was paleo I made some enchiladas rolled with cabbage leaves instead of tortillas. Was a nice cross between the two recipes. But it had green sauce on them instead tomato. 

Thanks everyone for the comments on the Runzas. They was really good, I believe they are also called bierock or something like that.
Gassy and frick though, like some white castle. 

Sounds good!

Danielle made a batch w/o red sauce today, too, oddly enough ...

I'll post pics to my creed thread late tonight - when I finish working ...

I voted for tamales twice.

hotstuff had a great story about the tamales, and that's how you know the love was put into them. Anyone making hot sauce from scratch (especially from dried chilies) always has my eye, and he made red and green. And I love tamales. Great execution.

Tamales also took dessert. Unique and... rum, raisin, coconut, cinnamon... are you kidding me? Excuse me while I grab the vanilla ice cream.

I like that he was able to use tamales to express his heritage for dinner and dessert. Well done.

All were great and it was hard! JHP made a perfect plate, and TC brought it home with pure comfort. Essegi impressed as always. I like to be liking runzas now, too, thanks! zdecker gets props for a very fresh looking stir fry, and for naming this TD.

Everyone did great!

The Hot Pepper said:
Oh geemeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!

Similar by concept but definitely its own thing, and I doubt people call them that. Been looking at internet pics and it looks like hero bread, like an encapsulated sammie very cool! They look very unique to me, not empanada, not stromboli.
 So you're saying the thread should be retitled as "The Big Badass Meat Pocket Thread"? ;)

I am a total sucker for killer tamales, and hotstuff's tamales are definitely killer - excellent job!

Dessert? Who could bypass the pudding after some hearty tamales? Not me!

Special kudos to keybrdkid for researching his heritage and making something new. Looking forward to more Bolovian dishes from you now sir!

Wow, it's getting a little closer.

I would have completely devoured everything I saw here. I want to try so many of these recipes. I am a big time tamale fan and they looked amazing. The Yiddish cream sauce looks so tasty as well. I am probably going to attempt a runza at some point too. However, Joyners seafood extravaganza had me drooling looking at everything. I'm allergic to shellfish, but I'd take a Benadryl and risk it to eat that stuff. Scallops are one of my favorites.
The deserts both looked good as well but the parfait looks really tasty.
If I didn't mention a meal it's only because Im tired and am laying in bed typing lol. They all looked really good and hopefully I can join in next month. I was just too busy this weekend.

Every month the members of THP straight up kill it!  Everyone had a great story and stellar looking food.

I went with Joyner.  That platter looks awesome awesome awesome.  I love the head on shrimp.  But I think he should have a photo handicap going forward.  He can only post pics taken with an iPhone or mobile device.  lol

I am a sucker for coconut.  Nice work key!  I don't know why but puddings, custards and such always do great at our BBQ comps.  It won us some trophies.  :)

Husker21 said:
Every month the members of THP straight up kill it!  Everyone had a great story and stellar looking food.

I went with Joyner.  That platter looks awesome awesome awesome.  I love the head on shrimp.  But I think he should have a photo handicap going forward.  He can only post pics taken with an iPhone or mobile device.  lol

I am a sucker for coconut.  Nice work key!  I don't know why but puddings, custards and such always do great at our BBQ comps.  It won us some trophies.   :)
I took those photos with my iPhone4   :rolleyes:  :liar:shh:

On a serious note, I did shoot with a crappy kit lens and thanks for the vote of confidence. 

Me too take pic with cell phone. I do forget my camera (semi reflex) in the garden one month ago. Rained That night and my camera it watered. I lost that camera I have to buy a new, but I only be used for this situations. Long time no used this camera I think not worth spending in another camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back