• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! Show Your Heritage Throwdown

Best Heritage Meal

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Confused on the garlic bread. Your ingredients show you made it from scratch, but the loaf in the pic is from the store.

Never mind. Breadbrumbs! I get it.

I didn't say that.

I get it now. He made it from scratch the other loaf is for crumbs.

The Hot Pepper said:
I didn't say that.I get it now. He made it from scratch the other loaf is for crumbs.
No sir, that store bought loaf was used in the meatballs. You rehydrate a stale loaf with water, then squeeze as much water out. It provides moisture in the meatballs so they don't dry out. The bread used for the garlic bread I posted as a teaser pic earlier.

Yup I figured it out. Fantastic meal!!!!!!!!!! That crusty homemade loaf for the gb... to the meatballs and short ribs... to the sauce, cooked just how I like it! Simple but made with love. Not over seasoned with garbage dry spices!!!

Kudos!!!

I'm inspired by tctenten's dish to make stuffed shells ...

I've never made them, but I used to beg my mom to make them (and she hated it because she felt it was a PITA to spoon in the ricotta mix) ...

Anyways, a well-executed baked-stuffed shell is a thing of beauty, and my favorite leftover pasta dish by far ...

I'll have a plate when they are ready, and then I'll eat a couple from the pan straight out of the fridge later that night, cold ...

MMMmmm  MMMM!

PS - I like the thick, textured (ridged) pasta of the full-size shell ...

Yeah they are good. All you need is 3 and you are stuffed. Maybe 2. I like a very small amount of goat cheese added to the cheese mix, just to add a little tang and creaminess... just a tad.

You are right though. TC's dish does make you hungry just looking at it, for those homecooked Italian meals, and is probably why I just ordered a calzone with some sauce on the side.

Yeah, we went comfort-y following TC's dish too - unplanned cabbage rolls suddenly had to happen. It was an imperative, in fact, I ran to the store and forced the ingredients on Danielle yesterday!

She backed out last night, but made them today - I just couldn't get away from the computer to photograph the pretty one's ...

I have some photos I'll drop in my creed feed later, but we hulk-smashed the photogenic corningware's worth straight out of the oven =)

All I can say is WOW WOW WOW WOW fantastic job everybody!! Y'all should take a bow!!
JHP got my vote that's just sick!!!! Left me drooling!!! :) and hotstuff for that dessert wholly mackerel that looked delicious!!!
Have to give a shout out to Tctenten that one hit home!!! And D3monic I agree with frydad4 this has me totally intrigued those look mind blowing served with ice cold beer that's living brother!! And we need to know more !! Very nice job everybody APPLAUSE APPLAUSE APPLAUSE!!!! :)

frydad4 said:
Something new I haven't seen around here....like a gourmet homemade hot pocket...they deserve a thread of their own

In some places they're known as "empanadas" and yes, Virginia, there is an empanada thread….  :D

Great job to all who entered!

frydad4 said:
D3 was most innovative, in my opinion. Something new I haven't seen around here....like a gourmet homemade hot pocket...they deserve a thread of their own, and I want to make them, sweet and savory...D3 will have crowns soon!!
But my vote goes to Hotstuff....TWICE!!! Those things need to be frozen, packed in dry ice, and sent to Miami to make sure they aren't poisonous. 

He brought it this month!!!! Great stuff all around! 

That seafood plate was damn impressive too!! 
Boss, can we do a throwdown where we each get 2 votes????
Thanks for the vote of confidence!
sicman said:
Tamales trumped all this insane grub. Everything I liked. 

Had to go for the pudding on the sweet though. 
I appreciate it. They were even better as leftovers today. :)
Lots of good stuff. I'd love to eat all of it. The meat pockets were a real grandma of the north meal-and I mean that as a great compliment.

Who doesn't like seafood?

geeme said:
In some places they're known as "empanadas" and yes, Virginia, there is an empanada thread….  :D
Oh geemeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!

Similar by concept but definitely its own thing, and I doubt people call them that. Been looking at internet pics and it looks like hero bread, like an encapsulated sammie very cool! They look very unique to me, not empanada, not stromboli.

Very nice D3!

Still looking them over...

cypresshill1973 said:
JHP: I have seen all options. Do you not give chance for other participant to win this time?

I want eat the food that I see in these pics. I like seafood it. I love it!

Your new crown is well won. My vote is yours
Thank you sir, we can trade...I'll take all the beef and send you seafood in exchange! 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back