• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Walchit's Glog 2018

Well started germination yesterday, got a little carried away.

I'm too lazy to type out my list for you guys so here are some pics.

Sprouting these from Justin/whitehotpeppers

And these from the auction of labeled pods from Garth/texashotpeppers

Then there are these from trades and seed trains

I may have officially lost my mind! Thanks for stopping by.

I have some wood chips that the tree service dropped off, if I ever get this garden planted I might go grab more poop to mix with it and hopefully have a ton of compost ready for next year.

I have this pile of chips and coffee grounds I've been working on for a few weeks, probably need to turn it. Been adding kitchen scraps to it too, and it's been heating up.

KIMG1552.JPG

Walchit said:
I meant to post pics of my thrown together raised beds the other day but I guess I didn't take any

attachicon.gif
KIMG1545.JPG

Came out with a heafty pile!

attachicon.gif
KIMG1546.JPG

The kids planted some marigolds and sunflowers

attachicon.gif
KIMG1548.JPG

And they had these little kits for cucumbers and more sunflowers

attachicon.gif
KIMG1549.JPG

Had to drill some holes in the bottom of these bamboo pots

Fill those beds to the rim to maximize the full depth of the bed.

Put another frame on top of the existing at some point...that compost looks like the shit!!!

Picking mine up hopefully this weekend.

Looking really good overall...you're going to be swamped with pods in no time at all.

I have a bunch of chicken poop, food scraps, grass clippings and straw in my composter but it seems to have stalled. It got hot at one point but then it stopped. Not sure what I did wrong or how to jump start it again. I thought it was pretty balanced but I guess not.

Walchit said:
Sounds like you need more brown in your composter. I have a bunch of leaves in mine too.

And Ryan some of that land is my neighbors lol. I have 3 acres I'm pretty sure
That's what I thought too cuz it did smell like ammonia when I first started it so I added some straw to it and now it's not doing anything. lol

Yeah all that other stuff besides straw is green, so you probably need more brown. I've been getting coffee grounds for my nitrogen source since I have a shit load of leaves and wood chips. Starbucks is clear on the other side of town but if you guys are close to one they give away grounds and they are nice and pretty much dry with no filters in them. Motly just little pucks of coffee and a couple loose beans here and there. I'm gonna be trying to figure out how to use them as the bulk of my fertilizer too.

How far apart do you guys space your plants if you go right into the ground?

I borrowed a tiller and need to get to work making some rows

Walchit said:
Yeah all that other stuff besides straw is green, so you probably need more brown. I've been getting coffee grounds for my nitrogen source since I have a shit load of leaves and wood chips. Starbucks is clear on the other side of town but if you guys are close to one they give away grounds and they are nice and pretty much dry with no filters in them. Motly just little pucks of coffee and a couple loose beans here and there. I'm gonna be trying to figure out how to use them as the bulk of my fertilizer too.

How far apart do you guys space your plants if you go right into the ground?

I borrowed a tiller and need to get to work making some rows
I'd say 18-24 inches apart.. 2-4 feet apart rows.

Walchit said:
I have some wood chips that the tree service dropped off, if I ever get this garden planted I might go grab more poop to mix with it and hopefully have a ton of compost ready for next year.

I have this pile of chips and coffee grounds I've been working on for a few weeks, probably need to turn it. Been adding kitchen scraps to it too, and it's been heating up.

attachicon.gif
KIMG1552.JPG
I hear ya on the comment of: "if I ever get this garden planted"!

Regards,
-Tristan

Lovely looking plant .. very healthy.. I read about coffee grounds on this forum a while ago and last season decided to give it a go when traveling down the motorway I stopped to walk the dog. Drive - through Starbucks- Warwick Services M40 southbound they throw the grounds out behind the building in the hedge line .. a couple of poo bags always come in handy

All the very best with your grow

Back