• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

WalkGood 2013, 2014 and Beyond

This is my first Glog so excuse what ever mess I may create, lol. Took way to many pictures today (31), so Ill post the first 9 and add more in subsiquent posts but didn't think it a good idea to start out doube or triple posting just for additional pics. I will also be updating the thread over time to show growth, pods and such ... but the first few pics of are of the young ones. While Ive been growing my favorite peppers for around 17 years (guess, lol), I always limited myself to 3 varieties or less. Jamaican peppers/Hab, Jalapeño and Cayenne. When things got too tuff Id milk them till they died off and stop growing for a while and start fresh. Most years I only grew the Jamaicans which are my favorite for cooking, home made sauce and the occasional powder to rub meats with or put into certain recipes.

Current inventory:
  • 5 Jalapeño
  • 1 Cayenne
  • 1 Serrano
  • 7 Datil
  • 15 Jamaican Habs (3 large around 3 years old and 12 less than year old)
  • 12 more to be determined
The young ones below are not that old with the oldest being the JA Habs which are around 3 years old now. I happen to find THP site while looking for advice/knowledge to cure one of my Jalapeños, thanks for all the good info guys/girls! In 2012 I added Datil, Thai hot, Cayenne, Jalapeño and Serrano to the mix, totaling around 41 plants now. Hats off \o_ to those of you who grow many more, dont know how you find the time and patients when things go off. That said, Ive done my fair share of battling aphids, nematodes, snails and white fly to no end over the last 3 years. Fortunately I believe to have things under control for now so Ive decided to add 12 new peppers to the mix from the listed seeds shown below.

Ill select 12 to start near end of December or first week in January from the seeds below and give credit once I get some new ones going :)

av1pxs.jpg

Need to start clearing our yard to grow more & more & more peppers ;) (*WG rollseyes*)
2ypb3mx.jpg

Top left to right: two Thai Hot and one Cayenne. Bottom row all Datil. BTW I don't grow everything in clay pots, just happen to get a good deal on a bunch in yard sale for a few bucks.
23i8d1v.jpg

Huge live Oak in background, there's 5 of them in front yard so the shades hard to avoid in first few hours of sun rise.
25fst9v.jpg

8 Jamaican Habs in ground and cherry tomatoe in the pot, I need to find a good place to plant the tomatoe soon.
2aikob7.jpg

Top left Serrano and more Datil, I'm probably going to gift a few Datils for xmass and some of the other peppers
2ci77yf.jpg

Serrano's first fower
ogc60z.jpg

Serrano's different angle
24ln0yc.jpg

Edit: final list copied to first post from post #40. These seeds were soaked in water on 12/31/12 and planted 1/1/13 \o/

Edit: This list is constantly being updated as new hooks pop. Even though I lost #5 :/ I will not give up as there are 2 other seeds in dat egg mon ....

28i2h78.jpg

A few links to some of my better posts ;)Did you say powder?Did you say MoA?Black light night shots & horn wormsReviews and taste impressions in no order

You need to get some wettable sulfur man!! Dem mites are a turd. Me no likey :confused:

Now that fish looks amazing . I just wish we could get a view of the insides of that tasty treat ;) But Inkow it is in your stomach mon :rofl:

You need to get some wettable sulfur man!! Dem mites are a turd. Me no likey :confused:
I thought wettable sulphur is more for spider mites; does it work for broad mites? And how bad is it for the pods you eat or the beneficial bugs around, I have ladybugs that have been mating, will it kill them too?

Now that fish looks amazing . I just wish we could get a view of the insides of that tasty treat ;) But Inkow it is in your stomach mon :rofl:
Dam next time I'll shoot a pic before I put the cheese on. I thought about it after but to peal off the cheese may have messed it up. Basically it looks the same as in the pan, i flatten it a little with a fork before I put it into the tortilla as you don't want it too thick, add cheese and bam off to the pan. Oh, forgot to mention that I lightly butter the tortilla on the outside.

+1 on the wettable sulphur. It reduces the mite population to 0.1 % and then they slowly come back. I was recommended it by a place that breeds predatory mites. They said douse everything with the sulphur, and then again in a week and then after that release the predatory mites. There is one called `something` californicus which does nothing but eat mites :) You should look up where to get them in your part of the world. From what I've read about mites you either get other bugs to fight them or you continually drench everything in chemicals.

That's it! call nephew, we're going fishing!
Just let me know and I'll make the call to book a trip, I think we can get a discount and probably sleep at beach shack for free ;)

+1 on the wettable sulphur. It reduces the mite population to 0.1 % and then they slowly come back. I was recommended it by a place that breeds predatory mites. They said douse everything with the sulphur, and then again in a week and then after that release the predatory mites. There is one called `something` californicus which does nothing but eat mites :) You should look up where to get them in your part of the world. From what I've read about mites you either get other bugs to fight them or you continually drench everything in chemicals.
I might do the sulphur but possibly want to try Bonide All Seasons Horticultural Spray Oil first, which one is better and safer? From what I’ve read the Bonide is probably better for organic but please share your thoughts. While I love the idea of releasing predatory mites, I’m not sure I could keep them alive as I have to spray with soapy water once a week to keep the whiteflies away. There’s no beating whitefly here, it’s a fact of life now and there are just too many. Since last year I’ve been successful in keeping them away with a very light mix (1oz. dish soap/1 gal. water) but I have to spray once a week. I’ll keep everyone informed and I truly thank you as I might just do them one day, btw do they eat up whiteflies as well?

Those damn bugs man. So disheartening to someone that loves their plants as much as we do. I just hate to see that bro. On the other hand that tortilla wrap dealy thing looked killer mon!
QFT and thanks for the nice comment on the fish quesadilla ^_^

Hey Ramon! How's the d. earth looking on dem plants?
Too early to tell, I washed most off late this morning to see if I can tell but the only way is to pick a leaf and look via a magnifying glass 20x or higher. I’m checking later via one and I’ll let you know when you call me back.

Do the MoA's still look like football players?!
2 of them do but I can see the leaves on one trying to pry it off, hard to tell that from the 2 pictures below (both same, different angle). 2 have emerged, one with leaf already as you can see from the picture and the other I’m 99.99% sure it will unhook without her Sunday hat on ;) As you know I buried 2 of them, this is one of them and the 5[sup]th[/sup] one has not emerged yet. I still feel the 6[sup]th[/sup] seed will not pop but stranger things have happened so who knows …

vosmlw.jpg

httis2.jpg

Seed heads are so freaking frustrating! Been lucky this year and only had two...but always seems to happen to the ones that I only ended up with one popping. Hope they shed them soon brotha. Keep 'em wet!

Seed heads are so freaking frustrating! Been lucky this year and only had two...but always seems to happen to the ones that I only ended up with one popping. Hope they shed them soon brotha. Keep 'em wet!
Strange these are the only 2 I've had in many moons as well. Good point you make on “wet,” I've been keeping them sprayed hoping it loosens the husk up so the two girls can emerge. Earlier on I noted one sole gnat flying around dem so I changed the water to H202 light solution in case gnat laid any eggs. I feel good about one of the two as I can see the leaves under the husk but the other one seems like a tight fit :o

BTW hope you win dat foodie contest, dem poppers looked awesome ftw!

Means QUOTED FOR TRUTH

Edit: I'm asking here and if no replies I'll aski in growing hot peppers. Ok as you know i dusted with DE yesterday, left on all day and few hours this morning. i have now inspected leaves and do not see any activity but will the eggs i see hatch or does the DE get them too? Also how fast do the broad mites move, I don't see dem moving and I'm guessing they're dead. I treated the soil too, will they come back and roughly how soon? Should I dust again in a few days? Does this do any harm to my plants or the pods on them? BTW I'm using a 20 or higher magnification magnifying glass (not exactily sure on magnification but it seems to magnify very well, it's an old one my grandfather gave me years ago).

Edit 2: I have been reading loads of stuff off google but don't see anything about how fast them move other than some sites say the young are sedimentary and use the parents to transport them to new growth on the host plant. I ask because I want to plan out next move and would also like to know if I'm making a dent in dem, thanks for any replies :)

DE will get the live ones...not sure about the eggs, but don't think so. DE works by slicing the bugs up as they walk through it. The damage caused to their exoskeleton causes them to dehydrate and die.

DE will get the live ones...not sure about the eggs, but don't think so. DE works by slicing the bugs up as they walk through it. The damage caused to their exoskeleton causes them to dehydrate and die.
Thanks Shane, so I should re-dust in a few days I guess and probably once a week for a month wouldn't hurt. Will this cause any plant damage or pod damage?

A weekly dusting with the "right" DE will be fine...just be sure if you're making this a routine that you use food grade DE. The stuff meant for pools is not fit for human consumption. Both will work on the critters...and as a once or twice app I don't think the pool stuff is that horrible. I know folks that use the heck out of it, but I wouldn't trust it on pods I was gonna eat. It's sort of like tiny slivers of glass...

A weekly dusting with the "right" DE will be fine...just be sure if you're making this a routine that you use food grade DE. The stuff meant for pools is not fit for human consumption. Both will work on the critters...and as a once or twice app I don't think the pool stuff is that horrible. I know folks that use the heck out of it, but I wouldn't trust it on pods I was gonna eat. It's sort of like tiny slivers of glass...
Thanks, this does help as you can read so much conflicting information all over da net ....

Lastly I’ve been spraying every other day for mites :( and I believe I’ve slowed dem down but I doubt the war is over. I going to dust the most affected off with some diatomaceous earth to see if this has any effect. Even if it does not, what falls to the ground will catch and snails that have gotten past my ground defenses :D
Here’s what the leaf damage looks like:
6fxj0n.jpg

Maybe I'm mistaken but I know I've read somewhere that broad mites cause leaves to curl down not up. The article I was reading said that a different bug caused leaves to curl up but of course, I can't remember what it was. You might want to google it because there is a chance you are treating for the wrong bug.

Edited to add: Thrips cause leaf curl up according to this article. http://homeguides.sfgate.com/leaves-curl-banana-pepper-plants-35080.html

Now for the good part ^_~ not sure everyone loves fish as much as me but I had 2 filets still fresh left over from yesterday and enjoyed lunch so much then that I decided to cook the same but the finished product is different and no rice, lol.
xnbxfl.jpg

While I prefer my fish moist like yesterdays, I decided I need this cooking a little dryer so I did not use olive oil in the pan. Only the olive oil already in sofrito starter, seasoned the fish and pan fried.
al6wxe.jpg

In all honesty I was surprised as it still came out moist but not dripping so I believe it’s what I was shooting for. Once done, I pressed the fish in a clean plate, put into a Mexican tortilla and covered with NY white cheddar and then back to da pan …
wba1d0.jpg

jsklg4.jpg

Once sautéed to lightly brown on both sides the tortilla becomes crispy enough to eat by hand. The final fish quesadilla served with plantain chips below, dam this is mouth watering \o/
2urs3zq.jpg

That definitely looks tasty! I'm normally not a huge fish lover unless it is fresh caught. This looks great, and yes my mouth is watering from just looking at the picture. Great pics, and a great meal my friend!

Maybe I'm mistaken but I know I've read somewhere that broad mites cause leaves to curl down not up. …
You are not wrong, you are most likely correct. It is possible that my plants have dual bug issues which I did not know. The article you pointed out shows they could be Thrips, but the more I’ve read about them I’m not sure as I would see them and I don’t. It could be something else like lace bugs. I do have other leaves that I did not photograph which are symptoms I’ve read that most likely come from broad mites “bronzed and thicken leaves, become brittle, corky or cupped downward and narrower than normal. Some have a spiral or distorted look …” similar to the picture below.

CloseNecrosisDistortion91.jpg

I closely inspected numerous leaves today after I had cleaned off the DE and I believe the bugs are dead but there are eggs I found which resemble broad mite description. I will keep my eye out for other bugs and am continuing the DE treatment and may possibly consider treating with Bonide All Seasons Horticultural Spray Oil or even wettable sulfur as recommended by Jamie above. Thanks again for giving my an additional heads up :)

Edit: Thanks for commenting Stefan, I love your foodie pics and descriptions as well :)

Back