• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

WalkGood 2013, 2014 and Beyond

This is my first Glog so excuse what ever mess I may create, lol. Took way to many pictures today (31), so Ill post the first 9 and add more in subsiquent posts but didn't think it a good idea to start out doube or triple posting just for additional pics. I will also be updating the thread over time to show growth, pods and such ... but the first few pics of are of the young ones. While Ive been growing my favorite peppers for around 17 years (guess, lol), I always limited myself to 3 varieties or less. Jamaican peppers/Hab, Jalapeño and Cayenne. When things got too tuff Id milk them till they died off and stop growing for a while and start fresh. Most years I only grew the Jamaicans which are my favorite for cooking, home made sauce and the occasional powder to rub meats with or put into certain recipes.

Current inventory:
  • 5 Jalapeño
  • 1 Cayenne
  • 1 Serrano
  • 7 Datil
  • 15 Jamaican Habs (3 large around 3 years old and 12 less than year old)
  • 12 more to be determined
The young ones below are not that old with the oldest being the JA Habs which are around 3 years old now. I happen to find THP site while looking for advice/knowledge to cure one of my Jalapeños, thanks for all the good info guys/girls! In 2012 I added Datil, Thai hot, Cayenne, Jalapeño and Serrano to the mix, totaling around 41 plants now. Hats off \o_ to those of you who grow many more, dont know how you find the time and patients when things go off. That said, Ive done my fair share of battling aphids, nematodes, snails and white fly to no end over the last 3 years. Fortunately I believe to have things under control for now so Ive decided to add 12 new peppers to the mix from the listed seeds shown below.

Ill select 12 to start near end of December or first week in January from the seeds below and give credit once I get some new ones going :)

av1pxs.jpg

Need to start clearing our yard to grow more & more & more peppers ;) (*WG rollseyes*)
2ypb3mx.jpg

Top left to right: two Thai Hot and one Cayenne. Bottom row all Datil. BTW I don't grow everything in clay pots, just happen to get a good deal on a bunch in yard sale for a few bucks.
23i8d1v.jpg

Huge live Oak in background, there's 5 of them in front yard so the shades hard to avoid in first few hours of sun rise.
25fst9v.jpg

8 Jamaican Habs in ground and cherry tomatoe in the pot, I need to find a good place to plant the tomatoe soon.
2aikob7.jpg

Top left Serrano and more Datil, I'm probably going to gift a few Datils for xmass and some of the other peppers
2ci77yf.jpg

Serrano's first fower
ogc60z.jpg

Serrano's different angle
24ln0yc.jpg

Edit: final list copied to first post from post #40. These seeds were soaked in water on 12/31/12 and planted 1/1/13 \o/

Edit: This list is constantly being updated as new hooks pop. Even though I lost #5 :/ I will not give up as there are 2 other seeds in dat egg mon ....

28i2h78.jpg

A few links to some of my better posts ;)Did you say powder?Did you say MoA?Black light night shots & horn wormsReviews and taste impressions in no order

ROFL ... While I saw a lot of raccoon dishes in the Bahamas over the years, I've never eaten raccoon and might not ever get the chance to try it. But if it's your cup of tea, click here for more recipes than you'll need :D

I liked the first recipe right away...

- 4 large onions
- 1 medium raccoon

:crazy:

I like where this is going... :D

You know what they say :... Tastes like chicken...

Cheers
Al "I ate a guy once in Peru" B.

edit:
DA MN THE AUTOCORRECTION! I ate a cuy once in Peru

ROFL ... While I saw a lot of raccoon dishes in the Bahamas over the years, I've never eaten raccoon and might not ever get the chance to try it. But if it's your cup of tea, click here for more recipes than you'll need :D

I have an entire book of 'coon recipes, Ramon! A friend from NYC bought it in Boone, NC and forgot to take it back to city with him. I have to confess, never been 'coon hunting :rofl:
BBQ

Edit: Oops, didn't see Ramon's post. Need to refresh before posting. Having said that, BBQ should be 1st on that recipe page, not 15th.

Agreed, Arkansawyer! Always, Q first.

- 4 large onions
- 1 medium raccoon

:crazy:

Cheers

edit:

"Al 'I ate a guy once in Peru'" :rofl: A male guinea pig counts . . . :rofl:

I have an entire book of 'coon recipes, Ramon! A friend from NYC bought it in Boone, NC and forgot to take it back to city with him. I have to confess, never been 'coon hunting :rofl:

Agreed, Arkansawyer! Always, Q first.

"Al 'I ate a guy once in Peru'" :rofl: A male guinea pig counts . . . :rofl:

To make things worse down here in Chile "eating" someone has very strong sexual connotations

:shh:

Believe me you don't want to know

Awesome Ramon!
The raccoon recipes or the plants ;)

... BBQ should be 1st on that recipe page, not 15th.
Oh yea BBQ would make me change my mind on raccoon ;) <---please note the wink!

Ramon, when a plant is sick the only thing is to medicate. I recommend for every measure Rum for the pant, six for papa ;)I would write you a script, but I'm not a Doctor... Paging DocNrock... Paging DocNrock!
Lourens your good that&rsquo;s funny! Where&rsquo;s the Doc when we need him :D

^^^Hahaha!

Ramon, that was an awesome save of the hab plant. You sir have a very green thumb.
Hi Doc, Lourens asking for a script o_O don&rsquo;t need one here for rum but maybe something better for Papi ~_^ Lourens should have been a comedian VS a pepper farmer, there's probably more $$$ in dat, lol. The green thumb works great when you leave them alone and just take the credit ;) hahaha. Unfortunately this one&rsquo;s not out of the woods yet, I&rsquo;ll feel much better getting her into some better & dry soil &hellip;

- 4 large onions
- 1 medium raccoon

Cheers

edit:
How did it taste? Rhetorical question, I need to move off this topic before THP makes the next Throwdown a raccoon hunt and cook off :rofl:

I have an entire book of 'coon recipes, Ramon! A friend from NYC bought it in Boone, NC and forgot to take it back to city with him. I have to confess, never been 'coon hunting ... "Al 'I ate a guy once in Peru'" :rofl:A male guinea pig counts . . . :rofl:
I&rsquo;d love some hunting but these things can&rsquo;t be much fun to hunt. If I sat out in da yard relaxing with a few beers and gun, they&rsquo;d eventually come up to me, BAM! Only one shot *WG rolls eyes* I take a pass on raccoon till I see Greg do up one of his fine foodies with one ;) (only pulling your leg Greg as you do the best Throwdowns I&rsquo;ve seen)

Thanks again for da tunes Hermana ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

Here in Africa elephants are a pest to farmers, but I'll be damned to cook an elephant! The recipe is just way too much PT:

2 tons peeled onions
1 ton tomato
100kg Salt
100kg Pepper
250kg Coriander
1 ton carrots
125 Stock cubes
1 sprig of parsely to garnish

Beat elephant till tender for about 10hours.
De-bone and chop up into bite size pieces (prep time 2 days)
Slow cook for 5 days in 3000L pot. Make sure to stir every 12 hours.

Theres also the spit option where you do an elephant on a rotissery. But you have to fill the cavity first... so you have to stuff the cavety of th elephant with a rhino, stuff the rhino with an ostrich and stuff the ostrich with a warthog.... stuff the warthog with a racoon and then that with a shrub hare and that with a field mouse and that with a whole onion...

Major PT.

Which is why we in Africa don't eat our elephants :)

Here in Africa elephants are a pest to farmers, but I'll be damned to cook an elephant! The recipe is just way too much PT:

2 tons peeled onions
1 ton tomato
100kg Salt
100kg Pepper
250kg Coriander
1 ton carrots
125 Stock cubes
1 sprig of parsely to garnish

Beat elephant till tender for about 10hours.
De-bone and chop up into bite size pieces (prep time 2 days)
Slow cook for 5 days in 3000L pot. Make sure to stir every 12 hours.

Theres also the spit option where you do an elephant on a rotissery. But you have to fill the cavity first... so you have to stuff the cavety of th elephant with a rhino, stuff the rhino with an ostrich and stuff the ostrich with a warthog.... stuff the warthog with a racoon and then that with a shrub hare and that with a field mouse and that with a whole onion...

Major PT.

Which is why we in Africa don't eat our elephants :)
:rofl: Let me guess... the rotisserie motor is a modified cement truck?

If you want a challenge you could always give the gun to the raccoon.
Here in Africa elephants are a pest to farmers, but I'll be damned to cook an elephant! The recipe is just way too much PT ... ...
ROFLMAO, good stuff you two ...

Posted beer infused Yard Bird we had for dinner in cooking w/fire Click Here to see all the pictures & recipe &hellip; enjoy!

29nfcd4.jpg

That is some tender looking meat, very nicely done Ramon! I would pay big bucks to have that plate brought to me in a restaurant.
Thanks Stefan if you ever find yourself down here hail me and we'll cut up some yard bird mon :)

Minor update:
Finally did the transplant late today as she looked really bad :/ I got loads of pictures but too lazy after long day of work to edit tonight and I&rsquo;m up at 5AM off to work again :/ That said, I did a few I thought you might enjoy.

Here&rsquo;s the lady in her new pot & soil, by Monday I&rsquo;ll post up her roots and all the other pics.
24xdimp.jpg

Behind her are 3 potted Reinas de la Noche, while some say these are Selenicereus grandiflorus, a cactus species and they might be related. I say they&rsquo;re different as I&rsquo;ve seen both. The Reinas are much more beautiful, no thorns and thicker stalk & leaves. Back when you could bring plants in from South America, I brought back 2 leaves that over the years I have turned into over 30 plants.

2955xcj.jpg

Close up of the leaves
344xgf7.jpg

They are called Reina de la Noche (Queen of the Night) because they only bloom at night, total darkness and the flower is huge (about the size of a soccer ball at times). Here are what they look like:
100_3964.jpg

100_3967.jpg

I&rsquo;ll try to edited the pictures tomorrow night and post them up. Thanks for stopping in and have a great Sunday!

Glad she got the new soil, think she'll respond once she starts to
sink her roots into the fresh soil. Sometimes the only way to go is an all out change. Interested to see the root pics, bet they were burned pretty good...I feel ya on the early mornings. So used to it I get up at 3:30 on the weekends too...ughhh. I did catch a rare nap today though, so I am learning how to relax! That plant/flower is amazing...

Back