• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

WalkGood 2013, 2014 and Beyond

This is my first Glog so excuse what ever mess I may create, lol. Took way to many pictures today (31), so Ill post the first 9 and add more in subsiquent posts but didn't think it a good idea to start out doube or triple posting just for additional pics. I will also be updating the thread over time to show growth, pods and such ... but the first few pics of are of the young ones. While Ive been growing my favorite peppers for around 17 years (guess, lol), I always limited myself to 3 varieties or less. Jamaican peppers/Hab, Jalapeño and Cayenne. When things got too tuff Id milk them till they died off and stop growing for a while and start fresh. Most years I only grew the Jamaicans which are my favorite for cooking, home made sauce and the occasional powder to rub meats with or put into certain recipes.

Current inventory:
  • 5 Jalapeño
  • 1 Cayenne
  • 1 Serrano
  • 7 Datil
  • 15 Jamaican Habs (3 large around 3 years old and 12 less than year old)
  • 12 more to be determined
The young ones below are not that old with the oldest being the JA Habs which are around 3 years old now. I happen to find THP site while looking for advice/knowledge to cure one of my Jalapeños, thanks for all the good info guys/girls! In 2012 I added Datil, Thai hot, Cayenne, Jalapeño and Serrano to the mix, totaling around 41 plants now. Hats off \o_ to those of you who grow many more, dont know how you find the time and patients when things go off. That said, Ive done my fair share of battling aphids, nematodes, snails and white fly to no end over the last 3 years. Fortunately I believe to have things under control for now so Ive decided to add 12 new peppers to the mix from the listed seeds shown below.

Ill select 12 to start near end of December or first week in January from the seeds below and give credit once I get some new ones going :)

av1pxs.jpg

Need to start clearing our yard to grow more & more & more peppers ;) (*WG rollseyes*)
2ypb3mx.jpg

Top left to right: two Thai Hot and one Cayenne. Bottom row all Datil. BTW I don't grow everything in clay pots, just happen to get a good deal on a bunch in yard sale for a few bucks.
23i8d1v.jpg

Huge live Oak in background, there's 5 of them in front yard so the shades hard to avoid in first few hours of sun rise.
25fst9v.jpg

8 Jamaican Habs in ground and cherry tomatoe in the pot, I need to find a good place to plant the tomatoe soon.
2aikob7.jpg

Top left Serrano and more Datil, I'm probably going to gift a few Datils for xmass and some of the other peppers
2ci77yf.jpg

Serrano's first fower
ogc60z.jpg

Serrano's different angle
24ln0yc.jpg

Edit: final list copied to first post from post #40. These seeds were soaked in water on 12/31/12 and planted 1/1/13 \o/

Edit: This list is constantly being updated as new hooks pop. Even though I lost #5 :/ I will not give up as there are 2 other seeds in dat egg mon ....

28i2h78.jpg

A few links to some of my better posts ;)Did you say powder?Did you say MoA?Black light night shots & horn wormsReviews and taste impressions in no order

Shweeeet Ramon!
Thanks Shane ^_^

How's dat comeback hab doing? Haven't heard about her is a bit...
She’s coming along fine, but it’s sad how slow they grow back … she looks just like the picture I posted on the 23[sup]rd[/sup] here (second from last pic), a lot of wood and small leaves :/ If da rain lets up I’ll try to shoot same angle later today, that might show me more of a diff VS my visual perception. I'd shoot the whole plant but it just looks like green sticks in an over sized pot. In retrospect I wish I had used a smaller pot as there are now plenty other girls fighting for the "top gun" producer position that could fill her old shoes easily, lolz...

that pod mutation I think is somewhat normal. I had some Caribbean Reds do the same thing last year. As long as the taste is good...color and shape I can deal with!
Agreed … these light green pods taste fine and color up just like the rest, as long as she continues to pump dem out she’s a keeper ;) It is an interesting color variation compared to how all other JA Habs look (dark green) that I’ve grown over the years.

A few pictures I couldn't post yesterday and the last 2 are from this morning. I have started moving the JA MoA SB's to their final pots but was only able to do one of three before the rains hit. A bit of luck came by to give me a helping hand in cleaning her up ^_^ Funny I just posted the other day that we did not have black ladybugs on the east coast of FL, well I was wrong and this is the first one I've ever seen in my yard/garden.
1onk86.jpg

r0v4n7.jpg

2ilzktj.jpg

4qgevq.jpg

33olft2.jpg

JA MoA SB in her new and final shoes, now I have to up-pot the other two MoAs. The other two are going into nursury pots (12 gal. about same as this clay one). The first had to go into a better looking pot as the new location on other side of fence is in front of neighbors cottage. I don't think he'll mind ...
4zsq3m.jpg

Ladybug getting some vert and right JA MoA SB new pot ...
zvwwwi.jpg
32zpcn9.jpg

Small harvest this morning, mas Cayenne’s
2i1du2d.jpg

Shane, here’s da old gal slowly coming back, not much different from the last shot I posted, dam it’s a slow come back :/
2khohu.jpg

Thanks for checking ^_^

Nice pics of the flowers and ladybug.

Harvest is coming on, I'm sure we'll be seeing a ton more real soon. Have you given the "old gal" any nutes yet?

Keep it up!

BTW #2 hooked last night

Harvest is coming on, I'm sure we'll be seeing a ton more real soon. Have you given the "old gal" any nutes yet?
Keep it up!
Thanks, I found it funny, just when I said no black ones here, lol. Yes, if you look close she got a little fermented seaweed top of soil, also gets a weekly spray but I’ve cut back on that this week cause of so much rain.

BTW #2 hooked last night
\o/ congrats ^_^

Quickie leftovers for lunch: reheated Picalillo (I use ground sirlion), sofrito starter mixed into it, sourdough bread, cheese and topped with Cayenne Pepper & other with Serrano Pepper.

1rxawo.jpg

Looking great Ramon!!

Keep it up!

BTW #2 hooked last night

Man i'm Jealous.....I look at the "Ramon's JA Hab Seeds" I sowed, several times a day...lol
They'll probably pop all at once :)

That's a badass ladybug. I haven't seen a black one in years. Good lookin grub too.
Before seeing this one I have never seen a black one on the east coast, hope there's plenty mas ...
You're living the good life down there. That's for sure.
As long as we don't float away, hehe … been raining here for days and yesterday I saw the deepest puddles I've ever seen around my yard, even up to the front door :o Luckily when it stopped for a little while they drained but I fear the peppers are getting way too much water and there's no where for them to get out of the rain :/ Losses so far amount to loads of flowers and leaves getting pelted off the plants but they're still looking green, oh and the pots are heavy -_-

Looking great Ramon!!
Thanks Chris, I just hope it stops raining or my next project will be to build a Noah's Pepper Ark … I captured 15 gallons of it yesterday and will be starting my next seaweed batch with rain water. It's much better than our pipe water here, FL has the worst water in all da states …

Man i'm Jealous.....I look at the "Ramon's JA Hab Seeds" I sowed, several times a day...lol
They'll probably pop all at once :)
They will pop and if they don't I'll be shocked but no worries mon, I have plenty more if the need arises ^_^

So here's our forcast and more rain, after the last 5 days enough is enough ... man the life boats, MoAs and children first, lols

30ldzd5.jpg

Your Scotch Bonnets have really taken off. I like the pepper thats starting to form.

Food shot with the sourdough cheezy mix looks good right now !
I just looked at that 3 times...
Thanks Greg, that’s special coming from the chef master :)

Got some catching up to do on your glog. Been MIA the past few days with a chest/sinus infection.
Yes I read over at Annie’s house … hope you are feeling better. BTW when I’m sick or sinus issues eating strong peppers clears up the nose very well for me and a little Añejo rum for the sole/spirit doesn’t hurt either ^_^

Lourens, express gratitudes mi South African Brethren … Now the ball is in your court and you do have zillions of tasty pods, so I’ll be looking for a big up foodie from you ^_^

Well must admit, it had to be the seaweed on the head rain dance! We got some rain! Thanks for sharing, Oh wait Lb just brought me a dark rum drink....sorry distracted....you know we're always welcoming rain here in Tejas. We rarely have homes flooded and pray for those who don't have the sense to avoid a low crossing. So EVERYBODY is always saying bring it on! So I guess maybe it's time for mo seaweed, maybe it will shift our way. Hope your weather behaves!

Chris,

I soak em in water overnight and then I use the jiffy plugs in the ehem, "professional greenhouse" once they come up I cut the material off the plug and pot them in 3.5" pots. No transplant shock.

Well must admit, it had to be the seaweed on the head rain dance! We got some rain! … …
ROFLMAO … it worked great for bringing in the swells ;) On a more serious note, I’m happy you finally got some rain. For us today it wasn’t as bad as yesterday, only a short drizzle but that was at my house. I’m sure some out west got another good dosing.

… I soak em in water overnight and then I use the jiffy plugs in the ehem, "professional greenhouse" once they come up I cut the material off the plug and pot them in 3.5" pots. No transplant shock.
Sounds like my egg method, no shock and a little calcium to boot, hehe

Before seeing this one I have never seen a black one on the east coast, hope there's plenty mas ...

As long as we don't float away, hehe … been raining here for days and yesterday I saw the deepest puddles I've ever seen around my yard, even up to the front door :o Luckily when it stopped for a little while they drained but I fear the peppers are getting way too much water and there's no where for them to get out of the rain :/ Losses so far amount to loads of flowers and leaves getting pelted off the plants but they're still looking green, oh and the pots are heavy -_-

Thanks Chris, I just hope it stops raining or my next project will be to build a Noah's Pepper Ark … I captured 15 gallons of it yesterday and will be starting my next seaweed batch with rain water. It's much better than our pipe water here, FL has the worst water in all da states …

They will pop and if they don't I'll be shocked but no worries mon, I have plenty more if the need arises ^_^

So here's our forcast and more rain, after the last 5 days enough is enough ... man the life boats, MoAs and children first, lols

30ldzd5.jpg

Wow, we are at a whopping total of ZERO for annual rainfall total :( Fire season is going to be bad!
Our well water is awesome though...it is hard water, but my local Geologist buddy (who I grew up with in San Diego) says that water has been down there in the aquafir for 10,000 years :)

well - there is two sides to every story ... we have had y'day the first day of rain in about 6 months. Damn that was more than welcome, even though we are lucky to have water coming down from the andes in my "parcela" - so I manage to keep everything reasonable green in summertime ...

as always, your plants look way too good, the ol lady is coming back slowly but surely and the MoA got me drooling all over

1 abrazo,
Al

Back