• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

WalkGood 2013, 2014 and Beyond

This is my first Glog so excuse what ever mess I may create, lol. Took way to many pictures today (31), so Ill post the first 9 and add more in subsiquent posts but didn't think it a good idea to start out doube or triple posting just for additional pics. I will also be updating the thread over time to show growth, pods and such ... but the first few pics of are of the young ones. While Ive been growing my favorite peppers for around 17 years (guess, lol), I always limited myself to 3 varieties or less. Jamaican peppers/Hab, Jalapeño and Cayenne. When things got too tuff Id milk them till they died off and stop growing for a while and start fresh. Most years I only grew the Jamaicans which are my favorite for cooking, home made sauce and the occasional powder to rub meats with or put into certain recipes.

Current inventory:
  • 5 Jalapeño
  • 1 Cayenne
  • 1 Serrano
  • 7 Datil
  • 15 Jamaican Habs (3 large around 3 years old and 12 less than year old)
  • 12 more to be determined
The young ones below are not that old with the oldest being the JA Habs which are around 3 years old now. I happen to find THP site while looking for advice/knowledge to cure one of my Jalapeños, thanks for all the good info guys/girls! In 2012 I added Datil, Thai hot, Cayenne, Jalapeño and Serrano to the mix, totaling around 41 plants now. Hats off \o_ to those of you who grow many more, dont know how you find the time and patients when things go off. That said, Ive done my fair share of battling aphids, nematodes, snails and white fly to no end over the last 3 years. Fortunately I believe to have things under control for now so Ive decided to add 12 new peppers to the mix from the listed seeds shown below.

Ill select 12 to start near end of December or first week in January from the seeds below and give credit once I get some new ones going :)

av1pxs.jpg

Need to start clearing our yard to grow more & more & more peppers ;) (*WG rollseyes*)
2ypb3mx.jpg

Top left to right: two Thai Hot and one Cayenne. Bottom row all Datil. BTW I don't grow everything in clay pots, just happen to get a good deal on a bunch in yard sale for a few bucks.
23i8d1v.jpg

Huge live Oak in background, there's 5 of them in front yard so the shades hard to avoid in first few hours of sun rise.
25fst9v.jpg

8 Jamaican Habs in ground and cherry tomatoe in the pot, I need to find a good place to plant the tomatoe soon.
2aikob7.jpg

Top left Serrano and more Datil, I'm probably going to gift a few Datils for xmass and some of the other peppers
2ci77yf.jpg

Serrano's first fower
ogc60z.jpg

Serrano's different angle
24ln0yc.jpg

Edit: final list copied to first post from post #40. These seeds were soaked in water on 12/31/12 and planted 1/1/13 \o/

Edit: This list is constantly being updated as new hooks pop. Even though I lost #5 :/ I will not give up as there are 2 other seeds in dat egg mon ....

28i2h78.jpg

A few links to some of my better posts ;)Did you say powder?Did you say MoA?Black light night shots & horn wormsReviews and taste impressions in no order

I didn't answer your question completely. I am using the sulfur, I would love to buy the 217 but spent way more $$$ this month than I wanted too.

I have huge Rosemary trees bushes I wonder how they make that ? I sure would be happy to donate them to the cause...research time....

Have a great Memorial day!

Devv said:
I didn't answer your question completely. I am using the sulfur, I would love to buy the 217 but spent way more $$$ this month than I wanted too.

I have huge Rosemary trees bushes I wonder how they make that ? I sure would be happy to donate them to the cause...research time....

Have a great Memorial day!
Scott there is a video on youtube on making rosemary oil, the OP says for spider mites but might be worth trying on broad mites too. I have not tried it, but sounds easy enough to give it a shot. BTW he's not using it on peppers, hehehe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ef47MX0GCkY

OK, I see a project coming up very soon, gonna give this a try!

And if I don't kill anything in the process I'll send some your way.

LB's already going on, "you're not using my good crockpot, it will stink it up".

Hmmm... she has three of them!

Edit:

Well hell here we go..it IS cooking outside...

283.jpg

WalkGood said:
Scott there is a video on youtube on making rosemary oil, the OP says for spider mites but might be worth trying on broad mites too. I have not tried it, but sounds easy enough to give it a shot. BTW he's not using it on peppers, hehehe

Let me guess...

... He is using it on rosemary bushes? :D

Devv said:
OK, I see a project coming up very soon, gonna give this a try!

And if I don't kill anything in the process I'll send some your way.

LB's already going on, "you're not using my good crockpot, it will stink it up".

Hmmm... she has three of them!

Edit:

Well hell here we go..it IS cooking outside...

283.jpg
I applaud the drive and determination exhibited on this board

Way to go!

Al

I just ran out, when I come back tomorrow I'll hit you both up but for now please accep "Like This"
209rc.jpg

Scott that's awesome you're already cooking some up, only wish I had a rosemary bush ... if it works, think I'll start growing some for sure. Keep us informed how it pans out.

stc3248 said:
Go easy with that stuff...I hear it can be like crossing the streams on Ghostbusters! 
Even at a mix ratio of 1oz per gallon of water how he states? One could start out with a more diluted mix.

Scott I'd use a test plant that you don't care about, I'm curious if this can be used in higher heat climates (90+) or if you have to rinse it off before the sun comes up. I'd probably keep the plant in shade so the rocket fuel doesn't ignite :D

Your grow is coming along :)  

Ill be interested to see how the rosemary oil goes.  I had mites this season that's ending now and all I could do was spray wettable sulfur to kill them and then spread predatory mites.  Cost too much and I've got a ton of rosemary so hope it works!

WalkGood said:
Even at a mix ratio of 1oz per gallon of water how he states? One could start out with a more diluted mix.

Scott I'd use a test plant that you don't care about, I'm curious if this can be used in higher heat climates (90+) or if you have to rinse it off before the sun comes up. I'd probably keep the plant in shade so the rocket fuel doesn't ignite :D

I'm going to test it on one plant, the 217 is at 2% which would be 2.56 oz per gal, at 1oz per gal is .78%. I have to wait until this evening when it cools down. I did do some research last night and didn't find any horror stories, so hopefully I don't create any ;)

Hey mon...did some research of my own! Seems as though you and I are the two most liked on the site!!! I just wanted to post up while I still have the lead! You've been on half the time and are about to pass me soon! Went over 5k today!!!

"5003 Legend"

Just wanted to pass along that you're a breath of fresh air on here, and every "like" you've earned is well deserved! Aside from a select few folks, this place kinda took a weird turn mid season last year. The admin even had to start booting folks off and giving out "Warning Points" for starting arguments on purpose. Kinda got depressing to read through thread after thread of folks bashing or trolling each other. Thanks for finding the site and pushing it back in the right direction, nothing but love, encouragement, support and kudos come from your way...Thank you Ramon!!!

so this one's for you brudda!
209rc.jpg

p.s. I STILL GOT THE LEAD FOR NOW!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA

megamoo said:
Your grow is coming along :)
Thanks and kudos back at ya grow too!

megamoo said:
Ill be interested to see how the rosemary oil goes. I had mites this season that's ending now and all I could do was spray wettable sulfur to kill them and then spread predatory mites. Cost too much and I've got a ton of rosemary so hope it works!
How did the wettable sulfur do for you? I’m only using that on 4 plants but all have some mite damage to one degree or another, they blasted me after the rains subsided :/ I’ve only done one application of the sulfur on the 4, going to hit them again tonight. I’ve been a little hesitant to use strong stuff for a long time, don’t wana wipe out the good guys.

Devv said:
I'm going to test it on one plant, the 217 is at 2% which would be 2.56 oz per gal, at 1oz per gal is .78%. I have to wait until this evening when it cools down. I did do some research last night and didn't find any horror stories, so hopefully I don't create any ;)
Awesome cutting edge stuff Scott … this would save folks tons \o/ I truly hope we you find dat holy grail that kills the bug from hell, lols

stc3248 said:
Hey mon...did some research of my own! Seems as though you and I are the two most liked on the site!!! I just wanted to post up while I still have the lead! You've been on half the time and are about to pass me soon! Went over 5k today!!!
If you had not passed all those “likes” today I’d be miles behind you, lolz … I enjoy passing them out and constantly run out when I really need some for great folks like you!

stc3248 said:
Just wanted to pass along that you're a breath of fresh air on here, and every "like" you've earned is well deserved! Aside from a select few folks, this place kinda took a weird turn mid season last year. The admin even had to start booting folks off and giving out "Warning Points" for starting arguments on purpose. Kinda got depressing to read through thread after thread of folks bashing or trolling each other. Thanks for finding the site and pushing it back in the right direction, nothing but love, encouragement, support and kudos come from your way...Thank you Ramon!!!

so this one's for you brudda! "Like Dis" img removed as THP gave me back a message too many pics, funny isn't it o_O

p.s. I STILL GOT THE LEAD FOR NOW!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA
Thanks for da compliments brethren but IMHO you deserve the lead and I tip mi hat to you mon \o_ 
BTW I loved you're last update, totally awesome mon!!!!!!!!
Edit: I just checked and I only have 4055, so you are way ahead and as I said before you deserve it ^_^

Memorial Day menu: BBQ ribs, corn, fruit salad and baked beans
6ieat4.jpg

2rxd274.jpg

I was so hungry I forgot to take pics of the baked beans and fruit salad :/
b6oshx.jpg

Here are the 3 JA SB MoAs after their hair cut. Most all of the leaves below and a substantial chop off the top, I was afraid to take off more. Unfortunately there are still some bad leaves left on each …
65mihu.jpg

Top view of the worst one :/ I don’t see how there could be any live mites left and I’m continuing to treat them just in case. Unfortunately they (mites) leave some bad stuff behind …
1zpqln5.jpg

On the plus side the pods seem fine and should start ripening soon.
1z9h7d.jpg

Notice the pod upper left and front are not "A" shaped pods, the two don't even have bonnets. Like the 2 upper right and the one behind center pictured pod.
2v81qf5.jpg

bhys6f.jpg

vrg26o.jpg

2u6lnif.jpg

poypoyking said:
Beautiful ribs and sexy pepper shots, what more could you ask for :)
Thank you for da complements ^_^
poypoyking said:
Those MoA's look a little funny. Make sure you boost their self esteem a little with some casual praise thrown into the conversation. Helps perk them up a bit.
lol, I’ve been giving them some home made seaweed tea, a little chicken poop, nana and a few other things but you are right … I’ve shorted dem on complements ;)

Mas pics ....
Pineapples moving right along, one should be ready soon \o/
23sare9.jpg

Jals
1e9o49.jpg

2r2t01t.jpg

Something chomped on the two outside ones here and it wasn't me :/
ka1nag.jpg

Should have a nice harvest soon off 4 different Jal plants soon come I guess ...
30w5mw6.jpg

Some of these shots are off one plant that I spun around a few times or I wouldn’t have been able to capture all the Jals on it.
jkhbmw.jpg

68ftph.jpg

Cayenne pepper plant is filling up with pods but only 2 will be ripe soon.
2dtta4n.jpg

I rarely take pictures of the Thai Hot but it’s filling in nicely
e0syko.jpg

stc3248 said:
Nice Jals!!! What type are those?
You going to laugh, IDK got seeds from a grower friend of mine from Palm Beach County and he did not remember. The cork nicely both green and red and have a very respectable fire Jal taste to them.

stc3248 said:
Wonder what's chowing on them? I would guess hornworm, but they'd hit the leaves too so????
I don’t have a clue, if it was a horn worm she would have eaten done a lot of damage on her way to the pods and why leave the center one untouched? I’m guessing a four legged foe either raccoon or squirrel … aside from them I don’t have a clue either … plain strange IMHO.

First baby White Bhut, the plant is loaded with flowers but only 4 have set so far
dz75s2.jpg

Beneficials still stopping in but not more than one or two at a time :/ all born wild, I have not bought any but considering to buy some if mites continue.
dqsmx.jpg

3 of the larger Jamaican Habs are filling in nicely
2qvbngl.jpg

2qwzk76.jpg

Today’s harvest, nothing huge maybe 2 or 3 dozen at most
317fhu8.jpg

rct53k.jpg

WalkGood said:

How did the wettable sulfur do for you? I’m only using that on 4 plants but all have some mite damage to one degree or another, they blasted me after the rains subsided :/ I’ve only done one application of the sulfur on the 4, going to hit them again tonight. I’ve been a little hesitant to use strong stuff for a long time, don’t wana wipe out the good guys.

Wettable Sulfur kills 90% of them but then they come back so its not a total fix.  The predatory mite breeder said that it is one of the least harmful chemicals to beneficials but it still kills or repels some good bugs.  I've also heard it can stress your plants directly so you don't want to do it regularly. 

The predatory mites solved the mite problem but some of the plants produced stunted pods after that.   The key is to catch it early so they don't spread.

Nice to see you growing some Jal's to, I would take off that cracked one before it returns and eats that one also ;) Sorry to hear about your pests, I know how frustrating it can be! I'm sure you will kick it's ass.

Back