• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

WalkGood 2013, 2014 and Beyond

This is my first Glog so excuse what ever mess I may create, lol. Took way to many pictures today (31), so Ill post the first 9 and add more in subsiquent posts but didn't think it a good idea to start out doube or triple posting just for additional pics. I will also be updating the thread over time to show growth, pods and such ... but the first few pics of are of the young ones. While Ive been growing my favorite peppers for around 17 years (guess, lol), I always limited myself to 3 varieties or less. Jamaican peppers/Hab, Jalapeño and Cayenne. When things got too tuff Id milk them till they died off and stop growing for a while and start fresh. Most years I only grew the Jamaicans which are my favorite for cooking, home made sauce and the occasional powder to rub meats with or put into certain recipes.

Current inventory:
  • 5 Jalapeño
  • 1 Cayenne
  • 1 Serrano
  • 7 Datil
  • 15 Jamaican Habs (3 large around 3 years old and 12 less than year old)
  • 12 more to be determined
The young ones below are not that old with the oldest being the JA Habs which are around 3 years old now. I happen to find THP site while looking for advice/knowledge to cure one of my Jalapeños, thanks for all the good info guys/girls! In 2012 I added Datil, Thai hot, Cayenne, Jalapeño and Serrano to the mix, totaling around 41 plants now. Hats off \o_ to those of you who grow many more, dont know how you find the time and patients when things go off. That said, Ive done my fair share of battling aphids, nematodes, snails and white fly to no end over the last 3 years. Fortunately I believe to have things under control for now so Ive decided to add 12 new peppers to the mix from the listed seeds shown below.

Ill select 12 to start near end of December or first week in January from the seeds below and give credit once I get some new ones going :)

av1pxs.jpg

Need to start clearing our yard to grow more & more & more peppers ;) (*WG rollseyes*)
2ypb3mx.jpg

Top left to right: two Thai Hot and one Cayenne. Bottom row all Datil. BTW I don't grow everything in clay pots, just happen to get a good deal on a bunch in yard sale for a few bucks.
23i8d1v.jpg

Huge live Oak in background, there's 5 of them in front yard so the shades hard to avoid in first few hours of sun rise.
25fst9v.jpg

8 Jamaican Habs in ground and cherry tomatoe in the pot, I need to find a good place to plant the tomatoe soon.
2aikob7.jpg

Top left Serrano and more Datil, I'm probably going to gift a few Datils for xmass and some of the other peppers
2ci77yf.jpg

Serrano's first fower
ogc60z.jpg

Serrano's different angle
24ln0yc.jpg

Edit: final list copied to first post from post #40. These seeds were soaked in water on 12/31/12 and planted 1/1/13 \o/

Edit: This list is constantly being updated as new hooks pop. Even though I lost #5 :/ I will not give up as there are 2 other seeds in dat egg mon ....

28i2h78.jpg

A few links to some of my better posts ;)Did you say powder?Did you say MoA?Black light night shots & horn wormsReviews and taste impressions in no order

Hey Ramon,
I don't know how I missed your glog. I love how your germinating and harvesting at the same time. The beauty of living in the sub tropics. I'm about to move to Queensland which is the same climate as you pretty much. The only thing better than growing peppers is cooking them Good luck with the superhots buddy.
Luke

Any chance you caught it yourself? You could post pics to the catch of the day...
No, most of the fishing I’ve been doing is catch and release lately but as soon as I get off shore, I’d love to post into your thread “catch of the day” … I think it’s a great one :)

I'd be happy with a video of him catching it! I haven't gone ice fishing in years, so with fishing season months away I need a fix.
I use to fish much more and the funny thing is I live on the water … I still fish out back quite a bit but don’t get off shore as often as I would like now a days :/

Marinating Mahi 5 hrs.(extra virgin olive oil, vinaigrette, onion, garlic, JA pepper, etc. etc.)
14kzg52.jpg

Cooking process: grill
29qo2zc.jpg

Grilled fish
2h5nrir.jpg

Red bell pepper grilled
2dj99o4.jpg

Dinner (grilled Mahi, brown rice & red bell)
21jcgtk.jpg

1zdi0o.jpg

Nice Christmas present! I got a nose hair trimmer!
lol, I may need one sooner or later …
So thoughtful, eh? At least it wasn't a gift certificate to a waxing parlor... ;)
lol
Hey Ramon,
I don't know how I missed your glog. I love how your germinating and harvesting at the same time. The beauty of living in the sub tropics. I'm about to move to Queensland which is the same climate as you pretty much. The only thing better than growing peppers is cooking them �� Good luck with the superhots buddy.
Luke
Luke, thanks for popping in and checking … I read somewhere that before Queensland exploded with tourism there use to be farms there that eventually proved unsuccessful because they had little luck growing in the sandy soil … fortunately you know better by seeing your glog, great luck on the move and 13 grow :)

No, most of the fishing I’ve been doing is catch and release lately but as soon as I get off shore, I’d love to post into your thread “catch of the day” … I think it’s a great one :)

I use to fish much more and the funny thing is I live on the water … I still fish out back quite a bit but don’t get off shore as often as I would like now a days :/

Marinating Mahi 5 hrs.(extra virgin olive oil, vinaigrette, onion, garlic, JA pepper, etc. etc.)
14kzg52.jpg

Cooking process: grill
29qo2zc.jpg

Grilled fish
2h5nrir.jpg

Red bell pepper grilled
2dj99o4.jpg

Dinner (grilled Mahi, brown rice & red bell)
21jcgtk.jpg

1zdi0o.jpg

lol, I may need one sooner or later …

lol

Luke, thanks for popping in and checking … I read somewhere that before Queensland exploded with tourism there use to be farms there that eventually proved unsuccessful because they had little luck growing in the sandy soil … fortunately you know better by seeing your glog, great luck on the move and 13 grow :)
I haven't heard that one. The soil Im in atm started off as clean fill sand. Lifeless. 4 years later and it is full of life. You just have to fill it full of good stuff. Gasificada lives in Qld. Maybe I'll get some some tips from him

That looks awesome btw!!!

Grilled Mahi OMG Keep that up and I am going to just camp out on your glog ahahahaaaa
Funny when I tell peeps we catch a lot of dolphinfish during their season here (summer), they say ewwww you eat flipper :D But when I say Mahi, everyone’s like yum! There’s plenty of space here and the peppers will make room for your tent to “camp out,” lol ;) No seriously you are too kind, thank you for popping by and checking out the glog :)

I haven't heard that one. The soil Im in atm started off as clean fill sand. Lifeless. 4 years later and it is full of life.
Not sure where I read that, maybe my neighbor said something to me, he’s from that area. I could be wrong, so I looked around the net and found this, but maybe I looking in the wrong area? Regardless, I have no doubt that you will kick azz where every you grow :)

That looks awesome btw!!!
Thanks and so does your glog mon \o_

Thanks Peri, makes me feel good when someone with a killer operation like yours pop’s by to see my backyard grow :)

Strange that no one mentioned the bell, I find they are out of this world when grilled whole with your favorite olive oil and a dash of pepper infused rum ... it really brings out the flavor in them :)

Dude, that Mahi looks to die for. Excellent prep and presentation. And I'll comment on the bell. Love me some roasted bell peppers. If you haven't tried it, Stickman turned me on to the condiment called Ajvar, which is made from mostly roasted bells.

LOL on the dophin comment. I get that too. I don't know if they have any other names in Florida, but they are most commonly called Dorado on the left coast...or Dodos for short. They are fun as hell to catch. Very aggressive feeders and when hooked and fighting they tail-walk across the top of the water.

This is what i love to see , a glog with growing and cooking , I took the boat out the other day and got a 52 cm king george whiting , biggest iv ever cought , great pics mate keep them coming.
Dude... if you got some pics of the fish and want to post pics of something you cooked with it, post it on the catch of the day thread.

I can handle that meal...Mahi is one of my favorites !
I’d say a second close compared to Snook and equal to Yellow Fin but yes very good fish to eat ^_^ As always thanks for popping by Greg and I’m enthusiastic to see what you’ll throw at us when you fire up your 2013 glog :)

Dude, that Mahi looks to die for. Excellent prep and presentation.
Thank you and it was very tasty!

And I'll comment on the bell. Love me some roasted bell peppers. If you haven't tried it, Stickman turned me on to the condiment called Ajvar, which is made from mostly roasted bells.
Sounds delish, while I’ve not tried the official Ajvar, I do make a spread from roasted red bell peppers and some of my JA habs but I do not think it’s the same thing. While I like all the bells however cooked or raw, IMHO roasted really brings out the flavor as long as you cook them whole.

LOL on the dophin comment. I get that too. I don't know if they have any other names in Florida, but they are most commonly called Dorado on the left coast...or Dodos for short. They are fun as hell to catch. Very aggressive feeders and when hooked and fighting they tail-walk across the top of the water.
Yes we call them “Dorado” too, as you must know that is the Spanish name and with all the Hispanic influence we have in South Florida that name is just as prevalent. Before I spoke English that’s what I always recall my father calling them but I mainly use Dolphin unless I'm speaking to peeps that don't fish :D You’re right, they’re a blast to catch … we catch them mainly along seaweed lines off shore (weedlines) and once you get the first one on, if their schooling, the rest are a piece of cake as long as you always leave one in the water. They even hit bare hooks here if the hook flashes/reflects from the sunlight. I remember when I was a young boy, it was not uncommon to catch a boast load … these days (winter) they’re hit or miss but our main season for dem is summer. BTW I didn’t catch this one :/

This is what i love to see , a glog with growing and cooking , I took the boat out the other day and got a 52 cm king george whiting , biggest iv ever cought , great pics mate keep them coming.
Thank you and I’m looking forward to seeing the pictures, have you posted them yet?

Seriously dude, that is some of the best looking fish I have ever seen! You definitely have some chops when it comes to cooking them.

I was hoping to see a bit more detail for the marinade, like what type of vinaigrette and what the etc etc etc are. If you are willing to share, that is :)

Seriously dude, that is some of the best looking fish I have ever seen! You definitely have some chops when it comes to cooking them.
Thanks Stefan :)

I was hoping to see a bit more detail for the marinade, like what type of vinaigrette and what the etc etc etc are. If you are willing to share, that is :)

I make a few different marinades and I’m sure others here do as well … From what I’ve seen there are a whole bunch of great cooks on THP, probably far better than I. When it comes to cooking, I’m unconventional. For example I hate following recipes to the “T,” so I modify them, measure by eye and taste test along the way to see if it’s a go/no go. In this case I’ve done it a few times before and one of these days I should try to take measurements and write it down.

That said, the basic ingredients I try to liquefy in the food processor, then slightly sauté, allow to cool and pour over the fish to sit for around 4 to 5 hours. I use a similar marinade on chicken breasts and after a good soaking, I sometimes rub powder on them to increase the heat.
  • Extra virgin olive oil
  • Onion
  • Garlic
  • Pimento or Red Bell Pepper
  • Red Wine Vinegar
  • Apple Cider
  • Sea Salt
  • Spices (Parsley, Black pepper, )
  • Pinch of Sugar (this is optional)
  • Distilled vinegar (dash)
  • Water
As I’m sautéing a marinade I may add a little water but not always, only if needed. Also in some cases I do not sauté them, depends if I want the onion to caramelize a little.

Edit: dash of sugar if needed, sorry I forgot, lol

Thanks Stefan :)

I make a few different marinades and I’m sure others here do as well … From what I’ve seen there are a whole bunch of great cooks on THP, probably far better than I. When it comes to cooking, I’m unconventional. For example I hate following recipes to the “T,” so I modify them, measure by eye and taste test along the way to see if it’s a go/no go. In this case I’ve done it a few times before and one of these days I should try to take measurements and write it down.

That said, the basic ingredients I try to liquefy in the food processor, then slightly sauté, allow to cool and pour over the fish to sit for around 4 to 5 hours. I use a similar marinade on chicken breasts and after a good soaking, I sometimes rub powder on them to increase the heat.
  • Extra virgin olive oil
  • Onion
  • Garlic
  • Pimento or Red Bell Pepper
  • Red Wine Vinegar
  • Apple Cider
  • Sea Salt
  • Spices (Parsley, Black pepper, )
  • Pinch of Sugar (this is optional)
  • Distilled vinegar (dash)
  • Water
As I’m sautéing a marinade I may add a little water but not always, only if needed. Also in some cases I do not sauté them, depends if I want the onion to caramelize a little.

Edit: dash of sugar if needed, sorry I forgot, lol
Sounds delish!

Sounds delish!
Thanks, it was very good ... it's only better when you catch it yourself :D
geez guys stop already... I only have fish fingers in my fridge lol Now I have to go out and find a fishmonger...
Peri, say it isn't so ... hope they're at lease homemade fish stixs :rolleyes:

Ok, rather than retype irc discussion this morning, this is a cut & paste from irc (btw needypoo is member here):
[09:39] <@WalkGood> just got my first hook \o/
[09:39] <@WalkGood> taking pics now
[09:40] <@needypoo> awww yeeee
[09:40] <@WalkGood> this will be the last time i do starts in winter
[09:40] <@needypoo> why
[09:40] <@WalkGood> temps have been all over the place
[09:40] <@WalkGood> makes my eggs look bad, lol
[09:41] <@needypoo> ahhh
[09:41] <@WalkGood> while i've never used a thermometer to keep tabs on eggs, it's now been helpful
[09:42] <@WalkGood> in summer here it's constant heat, high humidity and bam its easy
[09:42] <@needypoo> yeah
[09:42] <@WalkGood> now we have one night 59, another 49, days are in 80s, up down, sideways sucks :D
[09:42] <@WalkGood> heck today its 90 in the sun on thermometer
[09:43] <@WalkGood> but it doesn't feel like that at all
[09:43] <@WalkGood> shade is like 79 or lower
[09:43] <@WalkGood> taking temps in shade now
[09:43] <@needypoo> heh
[09:52] <Johnny-> heyo
[09:53] <Johnny-> omg I hate you WalkGood
[09:53] <@WalkGood> hola
[09:53] <@WalkGood> needypoo pics up only 2 just like we spk *links here but site software converst all 3 into one, so posted pics below*
[09:53] <@WalkGood> oh it's #12, which is butch t
[09:54] <Johnny-> :)
[09:55] <Johnny-> has anyone tried making a frank's red hot clone?
[09:58] * @WalkGood &raquo;&raquo; Foobar2ooo ::: Red Hot Chili Peppers - By The Way (2002) - 01 - By The Way ::: 0:12/3:38 (&bull;&bull;&bull;&bull;&bull;&bull;&bull;&bull;&bull;&bull;&bull;) ::: 164 kbps &laquo;&laquo;
[09:59] <Johnny-> gonna try and grow loads of cayenne this year so I can give away a mild sauce to friends who are whimps
[09:59] <@WalkGood> lol
etc. etc. etc. ... ... ....

2iw25qv.jpg

Captain there be hook, hehe
acd94y.jpg

Updated list with first to hook highlighted:
10ri8vs.jpg

Edit: #5 is coming up now \o/ ... dam I'm going to be away for 3 days, I can't trust the kids to take care of my babies :/
Oh btw thanks Greg and k. skwerl :)

show us the pix of our Viennese friend
And I thought you say Austrian ;) yea I got it Vienna, hehe.

Posted below are a good friend of mine&rsquo;s pepper grow from Austria as I was telling Chilinferno in his glog here. I won&rsquo;t post his real name but his online nick is dfkt in case some of you know him. I&rsquo;ve known him over 6 years now and I credit his growth for getting me back in as some seasons after being decimated by bugs I&rsquo;ve hung up my hat for that year, but not any more &hellip; thanks dfkt \o_

Nice work, WG! Looks like you have two seasons in one there!
Pods look great, and so did the fish :drooling:

Back