• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

WalkGood 2013, 2014 and Beyond

This is my first Glog so excuse what ever mess I may create, lol. Took way to many pictures today (31), so Ill post the first 9 and add more in subsiquent posts but didn't think it a good idea to start out doube or triple posting just for additional pics. I will also be updating the thread over time to show growth, pods and such ... but the first few pics of are of the young ones. While Ive been growing my favorite peppers for around 17 years (guess, lol), I always limited myself to 3 varieties or less. Jamaican peppers/Hab, Jalapeño and Cayenne. When things got too tuff Id milk them till they died off and stop growing for a while and start fresh. Most years I only grew the Jamaicans which are my favorite for cooking, home made sauce and the occasional powder to rub meats with or put into certain recipes.

Current inventory:
  • 5 Jalapeño
  • 1 Cayenne
  • 1 Serrano
  • 7 Datil
  • 15 Jamaican Habs (3 large around 3 years old and 12 less than year old)
  • 12 more to be determined
The young ones below are not that old with the oldest being the JA Habs which are around 3 years old now. I happen to find THP site while looking for advice/knowledge to cure one of my Jalapeños, thanks for all the good info guys/girls! In 2012 I added Datil, Thai hot, Cayenne, Jalapeño and Serrano to the mix, totaling around 41 plants now. Hats off \o_ to those of you who grow many more, dont know how you find the time and patients when things go off. That said, Ive done my fair share of battling aphids, nematodes, snails and white fly to no end over the last 3 years. Fortunately I believe to have things under control for now so Ive decided to add 12 new peppers to the mix from the listed seeds shown below.

Ill select 12 to start near end of December or first week in January from the seeds below and give credit once I get some new ones going :)

av1pxs.jpg

Need to start clearing our yard to grow more & more & more peppers ;) (*WG rollseyes*)
2ypb3mx.jpg

Top left to right: two Thai Hot and one Cayenne. Bottom row all Datil. BTW I don't grow everything in clay pots, just happen to get a good deal on a bunch in yard sale for a few bucks.
23i8d1v.jpg

Huge live Oak in background, there's 5 of them in front yard so the shades hard to avoid in first few hours of sun rise.
25fst9v.jpg

8 Jamaican Habs in ground and cherry tomatoe in the pot, I need to find a good place to plant the tomatoe soon.
2aikob7.jpg

Top left Serrano and more Datil, I'm probably going to gift a few Datils for xmass and some of the other peppers
2ci77yf.jpg

Serrano's first fower
ogc60z.jpg

Serrano's different angle
24ln0yc.jpg

Edit: final list copied to first post from post #40. These seeds were soaked in water on 12/31/12 and planted 1/1/13 \o/

Edit: This list is constantly being updated as new hooks pop. Even though I lost #5 :/ I will not give up as there are 2 other seeds in dat egg mon ....

28i2h78.jpg

A few links to some of my better posts ;)Did you say powder?Did you say MoA?Black light night shots & horn wormsReviews and taste impressions in no order

Some of them looked quite tuneful :)
Your friend has a great looking grow happening.
Yeah man...really like your buddies pics. Music to my eyes! Give him a big thumbs up for me! Congrats on your hooks brudda!
Play music to the plants! Geez, that is a fantastic idea! Classical or heavy metal? Red Hot Chillipeppers?
Thanks guys, I’ll pass the word onto him via irc ...

While playing classical music to your chilies is a great idea, this wasn’t the case, I guess a little explanation is in order. He more than I would write audio gear reviews for a site called anythingbutipod. To promo the review, we would take pictures on chilies to show on other sites. For example I showed a review I wrote promo w/my clilies HERE on Nov 24th in the “Entertainment” forum of THP.

And I thought you say Austrian ;) yea I got it Vienna, hehe.

Posted below are a good friend of mine’s pepper grow from Austria as I was telling Chilinferno in his glog here. I won’t post his real name but his online nick is dfkt in case some of you know him. I’ve known him over 6 years now and I credit his growth for getting me back in as some seasons after being decimated by bugs I’ve hung up my hat for that year, but not any more … thanks dfkt

Very nice grow of dfkt!
does he posses a garden?

would you ask him in which district of Vienna he lives?
maybe i meet him soon....
:dance:

Very nice grow of dfkt!
does he posses a garden?

would you ask him in which district of Vienna he lives?
maybe i meet him soon....
I will pass the word onto him, I’ve been away for a few days and have not been able to log into irc, hopefully I'll chat with him later this week ...

Very nice grow you have going Ramon! Loving all the pics, especially that Mahi! Yummm!! Best of luck this year! :cheers:
Thanks Melissa, back at ya on best luck as well! Hopefully I’ll get out fishing soon and post the catch rather than the buy :D

Great going man, seriously dig the Mahi! Keep us posted on the sproutlings!
Thanks! Been away for a few days and now I lost #5 :( While the temps look good and the eggs appear to have been moist while I was gone, nothing else popped up, so I’m a bit depressed now :/

I’ll try and take some pictures tomorrow to update the glog but there’s a whole lot of stuff on my “to do” list for tomorrow and I’ve fallen behind on my reading here … hope to catch up by next weekend …

I was away for a few days and lost #5 starter while I was gone, not sure if there is anything I could have done as the egg still had moisture… yes I am depressed but not suicidal :D #11 came up on my return late Sunday and so far nothing else :/ Yea that does suck, so far only 3 of 12 and one dead but I'm not giving up. I think this poor germination rate is due to the temps we have been having here, while the days 80 to 85 degrees are fine, night goes to 70 to 75, hopefully some others will pop up this week. That said, when I first started the Datil, they took me over 4 weeks to germinate in the eggs and that was for one, the rest were close to two months :(

#12, I’ll be transplanting by this Sunday into 6” pot.
mj4sg.jpg

#11, looks a little weak but as of day’s end it looks better.
1eaqlh.jpg

21bknj8.jpg

Updated pics, unless I comment I think they’re self explanatory …
Jalapeños up fist
9lgzk8.jpg
2wgcgu9.jpg

Jal followed by Serano’s
hwbvo0.jpg
2i77qkx.jpg

2s9ww8i.jpg
5nlx87.jpg

If I can get 2 more bumps I'll post the rest of pics, thanks for looking :)

I love the seedlings poking out in the egg shells! Do you keep or gring up the eggshell when you are transplanting, or are they just tossed after the transplant?

Very nice corking on the jalapenos :)

I love the seedlings poking out in the egg shells! Do you keep or gring up the eggshell when you are transplanting, or are they just tossed after the transplant?

Very nice corking on the jalapenos :)
I crush up the egg shell carefully so I don't damage the roots and plant the whole thing. The shells provide calcium and I've even seen the stuff for sale, lol. I also use crushed shells on all the potted plants, haven't done it to the in ground other than when they were first transplanted and what was already mixed into the soil, I think once I save up enough I should include dem too. Thanks for commenting and bumpin :)

More pics from today ...
Cut off these two leaves because I found bug eggs and I don’t think they're good bus, lol. Fortunately they were only on two leaves. While I’m not sure, I think they could be white fly without the milky white residue. If anyone knows for sure, please let me know your thoughts ...
x1zg20.jpg

aza1qh.jpg

25rmhsn.jpg

Infected Datil that I’ve been spraying with the H2O2 mix for a little over a week, once every 3 days, while the plants look good overall the infection is still there and doesn’t seem to want to go away. If I can’t cure this I’ll seriously consider 86’in the Datil :/
e0r47l.jpg

24y7k9w.jpg

35ktr95.jpg

Thai Hot
5uqsgk.jpg

es162v.jpg

Cherry Tomatoes
2j42ern.jpg

6ensd3.jpg

Still have some pics left, I'll post soon ...

Did you look at the bug eggs with a hand lens or magnifying glass?

Did you look at the bug eggs with a hand lens or magnifying glass?
Dam didn’t think of it, but if I find more I will and what should I be looking for, a little bug yelling out “welcome to the jungle,” lol…

Ramon, have you considered sulfur to get rid of your infestation? Keep your grow on bro. It is awesome!!!
Never tried it, how best to use? The only ting I do with sulfer is put a few match heads into the soil in pots.

I wonder if a hit of neem oil along the bottom of the leaves would help clear those bugs out.
That also sounds like a good idea, been using just soapy spray normally once a week but I haven’t hit them in a few weeks and only found on 2 leaves so I’m not in any panic mode yet, lol. BTW apologies for any misunderstanding, when I said a pepper a day when sick, I don’t mean I eat dem off da bush. I use them in food and to be honest its probably more than a pepper on most days and I guess some days without but rarely :D

Mo updates …. These JA habs are so tasty, can’t get enough of dem ...
30ah0nb.jpg

24g39u8.jpg

5d2q8z.jpg

18m3kl.jpg

e19pc2.jpg

Today’s harvest, I had one similar last week but did not take pics, hope this makes up ;)
9u502a.jpg

esvyis.jpg

30upnnk.jpg

14cqhp1.jpg

a5l1dy.jpg

Woah! Great money shots, Ramon!
Those look mighty tasty, indeed!

Woah! Great money shots, Ramon!
Those look mighty tasty, indeed!
Thanks Paul :)

And here's the balance of shots from today ...
2ujrz2p.jpg

24qrark.jpg

I took this shot to show the percentage of large to small. I think there’s around 70% large and the balance of 30% is medium to small but all edible ^_^
152jh8k.jpg

Little powder does the trick before grilling, sorry no grill shots tonight was too hungry after reading this, this and all the other great food recipes from all you guys & gals *_*
ograr.jpg

2m4px7n.jpg

Ops forgot the tater skins, hehe
dr455f.jpg

[background=rgb(245, 234, 219)]
PaulG, on 15 January 2013 - 04:50 PM, said:[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 250, 242)]

Did you look at the bug eggs with a hand lens or magnifying glass?[/background]

Dam didn’t think of it, but if I find more I will and what should I be looking for, a little bug yelling out “welcome to the jungle,” lol…

:rofl: Yeah, that's the ticket!

Just to make sure they are, in fact, bug eggs and not something else!
Like bug poop!

[background=rgb(245, 234, 219)]PaulG, on 15 January 2013 - 04:50 PM, said:[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 250, 242)]Did you look at the bug eggs with a hand lens or magnifying glass?[/background]

:rofl: Yeah, that's the ticket!

Just to make sure they are, in fact, bug eggs and not something else!
Like bug poop!
Good point, thank you for good advice and I will look closer next time to be certain. Although I honestly think they are bug eggs from the way they were laid out on more than one leaf and if not, some bug had a serious case of diarrhea :D

Back