• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

WalkGood 2013, 2014 and Beyond

This is my first Glog so excuse what ever mess I may create, lol. Took way to many pictures today (31), so Ill post the first 9 and add more in subsiquent posts but didn't think it a good idea to start out doube or triple posting just for additional pics. I will also be updating the thread over time to show growth, pods and such ... but the first few pics of are of the young ones. While Ive been growing my favorite peppers for around 17 years (guess, lol), I always limited myself to 3 varieties or less. Jamaican peppers/Hab, Jalapeño and Cayenne. When things got too tuff Id milk them till they died off and stop growing for a while and start fresh. Most years I only grew the Jamaicans which are my favorite for cooking, home made sauce and the occasional powder to rub meats with or put into certain recipes.

Current inventory:
  • 5 Jalapeño
  • 1 Cayenne
  • 1 Serrano
  • 7 Datil
  • 15 Jamaican Habs (3 large around 3 years old and 12 less than year old)
  • 12 more to be determined
The young ones below are not that old with the oldest being the JA Habs which are around 3 years old now. I happen to find THP site while looking for advice/knowledge to cure one of my Jalapeños, thanks for all the good info guys/girls! In 2012 I added Datil, Thai hot, Cayenne, Jalapeño and Serrano to the mix, totaling around 41 plants now. Hats off \o_ to those of you who grow many more, dont know how you find the time and patients when things go off. That said, Ive done my fair share of battling aphids, nematodes, snails and white fly to no end over the last 3 years. Fortunately I believe to have things under control for now so Ive decided to add 12 new peppers to the mix from the listed seeds shown below.

Ill select 12 to start near end of December or first week in January from the seeds below and give credit once I get some new ones going :)

av1pxs.jpg

Need to start clearing our yard to grow more & more & more peppers ;) (*WG rollseyes*)
2ypb3mx.jpg

Top left to right: two Thai Hot and one Cayenne. Bottom row all Datil. BTW I don't grow everything in clay pots, just happen to get a good deal on a bunch in yard sale for a few bucks.
23i8d1v.jpg

Huge live Oak in background, there's 5 of them in front yard so the shades hard to avoid in first few hours of sun rise.
25fst9v.jpg

8 Jamaican Habs in ground and cherry tomatoe in the pot, I need to find a good place to plant the tomatoe soon.
2aikob7.jpg

Top left Serrano and more Datil, I'm probably going to gift a few Datils for xmass and some of the other peppers
2ci77yf.jpg

Serrano's first fower
ogc60z.jpg

Serrano's different angle
24ln0yc.jpg

Edit: final list copied to first post from post #40. These seeds were soaked in water on 12/31/12 and planted 1/1/13 \o/

Edit: This list is constantly being updated as new hooks pop. Even though I lost #5 :/ I will not give up as there are 2 other seeds in dat egg mon ....

28i2h78.jpg

A few links to some of my better posts ;)Did you say powder?Did you say MoA?Black light night shots & horn wormsReviews and taste impressions in no order

Found the culprit/s that damaged my Jalapeños … Went out snipe snail hunting as it was drizzling enough to drive dem out. I must have nabbed killed at least fifteen \o/  These are silver dollar sized escargot looking snails. WARNING: if you are squeamish do not look at the following pictures, lolzzz

3307bir.jpg

14n2p3.jpg

15aouw.jpg

2s1mxit.jpg

Ran across one of the good guys tucked in and napping on one of my desert roses for da night …
23uyao5.jpg

That’s it thanks for looking …

Sucks about your critter problems Ramon. Hope you get them under control stat. I've got some flea Beatles tearing up my eggplants right now. I'm about to go to war with them myself. You pods look awesome though. With your skill in the kitchen, you should've whipped up a meal with those snails :) Escargot anyone?

A group of snails that size can do a lot of damage though I would think Capsicum fruit wouldn't be high on their list.
Good work on the seek and destroy mission.
That lizard needs a longer leaf. :)

Snails and slugs are a real pain in the patookus! If you want to use a non-chemical way to deal with them without wasting beer, pour a foot-wide band of diatomaceous earth on the ground around the plants you want to protect. The human equivalent would be you running across a field of broken glass... it cuts them up and they bleed out. It's harmless to kids and pets too because it's so fine.

Everything else is looking stellar brother!

Dude, glad you found out what was causing your issues. Now to seek and destroy. Love the pic of the good guy tucked in for the night. Have to agree with JJJessee, he needs a bigger bed. LOL

"Way to strike the Gavel... Judge", that snail didn't deserve a last meal !

Next case !

Wow, as slow as the snails and slugs crawl they actually move pretty quick. I haven't seen any gray slugs here, yet but each year they chew the heck out of some perennials. I usually dust with Sevin and that always does the trick.

Dshlogg said:
Sucks about your critter problems Ramon. Hope you get them under control stat. I've got some flea Beatles tearing up my eggplants right now. I'm about to go to war with them myself. You pods look awesome though. With your skill in the kitchen, you should've whipped up a meal with those snails :) Escargot anyone?
Daniel it’s not as bad as it seems with critters here. IMO mites are the biggest PITA because it’s they are hard to identify early with little to no signals until damage is done but they’re now zapped, although I still have some fugly leaves. RE: snails, I’ve been fighting them for years and they’re easy to beat back. There are positives and negatives living in da tropics but IMHO the positives outweigh the negatives.

I missed reading about your flea beetle issues in your glog, I hope you zap dem!!! Thank you for your positive vibes on pods & cooking I really appreciate your kind words and I wish you and da family an excellent weekend mon!

stc3248 said:
Sluggo in the containers brudda! I put it in mine...I actually use a generic brand. Non-toxic to most animals, kills them by iron overdose. Nice catch kill!
I’ve been using sluggo for years around the bottom of pots and on the ground but never inside the containers, I’ve always paranoid of any repercussion to my plants and our health. As long as you say I can I’ll give that a go but this time of year with all our rain fall I never use it or DE because it’s a waste of money when it washes away. But if it was in the container then it wouldn’t wash away … Thank you Shane for da good great idea brethren. I hope you and family have an awesome weekend mon!

JJJessee said:
A group of snails that size can do a lot of damage though I would think Capsicum fruit wouldn't be high on their list. Good work on the seek and destroy mission. That lizard needs a longer leaf. :)
Carl you are right, they don’t always eat into the pods … in fact they’ve only ever once eaten a little of a JA Hab, they must have broadcast dat news via the snail network, lol, too hot for dem and it hasn’t happened in years but Jals are a different story. That said on any plant/s they do suck the skin off the stems, eat leaves and if left unchecked can severely affect new growth or kill a young plant. Your right on the lizard, wish there was a way that I could provide better housing for dem ;)

Wishin you and your family a super weekend mon, thanks for all!!!

stickman said:
Snails and slugs are a real pain in the patookus! If you want to use a non-chemical way to deal with them without wasting beer, pour a foot-wide band of diatomaceous earth on the ground around the plants you want to protect. The human equivalent would be you running across a field of broken glass... it cuts them up and they bleed out. It's harmless to kids and pets too because it's so fine.

Everything else is looking stellar brother!
Excellent feedback Rick and you are 100% right as usual, it does work great! During the dry season I sprinkle all around the different gardens in our yard as it's very economical. But not in the rainy season it clumps up and they just cruise right across it like dem skiing across snow, lol. I’ve also dusted plants/leaves with DE as it can also kill mites but I’ve only done that a few times as it’s a load of work, do you know a method of dusting that isn’t by hand? Like some kind of blower or hand sprayer that would evenly shoot it across the bottom of leaves … what a PITA the manual method can be …

*BTW to others reading that are not familure with DE, if you are going to use on plants, pods and leaves I would recommend food grade DE, wear a mask and gloves

Thanks Rick, you always have great ideas, I hope you and your family have a super awesome weekend mon!

As always, thanks everyone for looking, reading, helping me with your awesome comments and feedback! I hope everyone on THP has a great weekend!!!

Good to see the snail exiting the world. 

That picture I posted was the only snail incident I could find all season, I don't think chilli are their favourite food.  As long as its not too close to the ground I don't think they can get to them easily.  Still if they pose a danger... exterminate!

WalkGood said:
Excellent feedback Rick and you are 100% right as usual, it does work great! During the dry season I sprinkle all around the different gardens in our yard as it's very economical. But not in the rainy season it clumps up and they just cruise right across it like dem skiing across snow, lol. I’ve also dusted plants/leaves with DE as it can also kill mites but I’ve only done that a few times as it’s a load of work, do you know a method of dusting that isn’t by hand? Like some kind of blower or hand sprayer that would evenly shoot it across the bottom of leaves … what a PITA the manual method can be …
*BTW to others reading that are not familure with DE, if you are going to use on plants, pods and leaves I would recommend food grade DE, wear a mask and gloves

Thanks for your feedback too Ramon. I  knew DE wasn't as effective during rain, but I thought it was because the rain washed it into the soil. It just goes to show that theory doesn't often stand up to observation! It makes sense though... the DE is flat pieces of silica, and when lubricated with water they lay down flat on top of each other instead of on edge where they can slice up the snails. If you've got a few nickels laying around, this hand-crank duster is the shizzy... http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-7618-dustin-mizer-with-deflector.aspx

koskorgul said:
Dude, glad you found out what was causing your issues. Now to seek and destroy. Love the pic of the good guy tucked in for the night. Have to agree with JJJessee, he needs a bigger bed. LOL
Thanks Rob! lol at bigger bed, well I’m not going to spring for a posturepedic mattress ;) Hope you and the family have a great weekend and I’m looking forward to seeing your next picante foodie ^_^

PIC 1 said:
"Way to strike the Gavel... Judge", that snail didn't deserve a last meal !

Next case !

Wow, as slow as the snails and slugs crawl they actually move pretty quick. I haven't seen any gray slugs here, yet but each year they chew the heck out of some perennials. I usually dust with Sevin and that always does the trick.
I should have pictured the kill shot, I use a large river rock when they get that big, hand squishing is impossible for me other than the small ones, hehe. I’ve always thought they’re slow too but man can they move quickly when they get going, sure they’re no Mario Andretti but it’s impressive to see them at full throttle.

IMO they’re more of an annoyance than a serious threat unless the populations get too high. I never did the sluggo in pots like Shane suggested, might give that a go when rains stabilize. Thanks for popping by Greg, I hope you and the family have an awesome weekend brethren!!!

RocketMan said:
Ramon, that looked like one of those snails that get so darn big that I've heard about in South FL. Good clean Kill Brother.
Bill I’ve seen those but AFAIK they’re not in Broward county yet, only Dade. These have been around here for ever, I believe they’re just like escargot as I see raccoons eating them all the time. Raccoons use their long finger nails to pull the meat out and wash it in the river, only thing the coon is missing is the awesome Bill hot sauces, lol. Based on what I’ve seen it’s probably delicacy for them. I remember seeing them around since I was a kid so I believe they could be local. If it was one of those cement eating huge ones I’d call in the pro’s quick as I gotta protect our house from dem. Thanks for positive vibrations mon, hope you and the family have a great weekend!!!

Everyone, you guys/girls here at THP are great! Thanks for positive vibrations and suggestions ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ »» Foobar2k ::: Bob Marley & The Wailers - Babylon by Bus (1978) - 01 - Positive Vibration ::: 2:36/5:49 (••••••••••) ::: 401 kbps ««

megamoo said:
Good to see the snail exiting the world.

That picture I posted was the only snail incident I could find all season, I don't think chilli are their favourite food. As long as its not too close to the ground I don't think they can get to them easily. Still if they pose a danger... exterminate!
It’s always great to read feedback from an experienced grower and it seems to me that you’ve faced many enemy issues and always have a great attack on them. Plus you pull up photos from your arsenal of photos, hat’s off mon \o_  Feels good to protect your plants, thanks and I agree with you ^_^

stickman said:
Thanks for your feedback too Ramon. I knew DE wasn't as effective during rain, but I thought it was because the rain washed it into the soil. It just goes to show that theory doesn't often stand up to observation! It makes sense though... the DE is flat pieces of silica, and when lubricated with water they lay down flat on top of each other instead of on edge where they can slice up the snails. If you've got a few nickels laying around, this hand-crank duster is the shizzy... http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-7618-dustin-mizer-with-deflector.aspx
Rick you’re awesome, thanks for the link and it’s affordable too. I’m going to read up on that as I stopped dusting with DE late last season as it was such a PITA. Regarding the DE washing into the soil, I do believe some does wash into the soil but it also leaves large white patches across the top that can look like snow, lol.

WalkGood said:
Thanks Rob! lol at bigger bed, well I’m not going to spring for a posturepedic mattress ;) Hope you and the family have a great weekend and I’m looking forward to seeing your next picante foodie ^_^

Was thinking about doing some kind of meat pie this weekend. Seen a box of Bisquik on the counter and ideas started to fly LOL. Any recipes off the top of your head you would like to share.

Man you have to make that little guy comfy, dont want him going over to the neighbors because that have free cable in the rooms or the playboy channel. LMAO

koskorgul said:
Was thinking about doing some kind of meat pie this weekend. Seen a box of Bisquik on the counter and ideas started to fly LOL. Any recipes off the top of your head you would like to share.
Dang I’m not the pie maker in our family; my wife does a Shepard’s pie that’s awesome with some added heat but I never made anything other than a key lime pie and Caribbean Roti. Not sure if she has it written down but if you are interested I’ll ask her when she gets off work.

koskorgul said:
Man you have to make that little guy comfy, dont want him going over to the neighbors because that have free cable in the rooms or the playboy channel. LMAO
ROFL

WalkGood said:
Dang I’m not the pie maker in our family; my wife does a Shepard’s pie that’s awesome with some added heat but I never made anything other than a key lime pie and Caribbean Roti. Not sure if she has it written down but if you are interested I’ll ask her when she gets off work.

ROFL
Sounds good. I could have sworn it was you that posted a pic of a meat pit/pocket. Will have to look through the glogs that I follow to find it.

Raymon, I just caught up on the last couple of pages. Yikes, you seem to have been infested with just about every pepper pest that there is. Nice to see you dealing with them so effectively, but the carnage they caused still sucks.

stc3248 said:
Sluggo in the containers brudda! I put it in mine...I actually use a generic brand. Non-toxic to most animals, kills them by iron overdose. Nice catch kill!
+1000 to Shane's comment. After I saw the first few holes in my leaves this spring I dropped some slug bait in all of the 50+ pots I have. I haven't seen a single damaged leaf after that.

Never been a big fan of organic methods of critter control. They don't seem to work well and require frequent reapplications. Sitting on the deck, I have the Sluggo, a bottle of mite killer and a bottle of Sevin. Just let those damn critters invade my peppers. :D

Edited to add: I have to stop reading your glog in the afternoon at the office. All it does is make me hungry.

Jeff H said:
Raymon, I just caught up on the last couple of pages. Yikes, you seem to have been infested with just about every pepper pest that there is. Nice to see you dealing with them so effectively, but the carnage they caused still sucks.
U R right, I herewith assign 'mon the title "Chuck Norris of the THP-Board"

:D

Al
WalkGood said:
Found the culprit/s that damaged my Jalapeños … Went out snipe snail hunting as it was drizzling enough to drive dem out. I must have nabbed killed at least fifteen \o/  These are silver dollar sized escargot looking snails. WARNING: if you are squeamish do not look at the following pictures, lolzzz

3307bir.jpg

14n2p3.jpg

15aouw.jpg

2s1mxit.jpg

That’s it thanks for looking …
Mon you should have just invited the French folks over...

BYOB, I take care of the snacks

Hmmm crushing is work LOL flip 'em over and salt 'em. Should be more fun too :D

I find some snails around here every once in a while, little things about the size of pinky fingernail.

99% of the time they're dead and stuck to something.

Silly snails should know better than to be out in the Tejas sun ;)

koskorgul said:
Sounds good. I could have sworn it was you that posted a pic of a meat pit/pocket. Will have to look through the glogs that I follow to find it.
I may have, dont remember, I posted over in your glog about empanadas maybe that was it?

Jeff H said:

+1000 to Shane's comment. After I saw the first few holes in my leaves this spring I dropped some slug bait in all of the 50+ pots I have. I haven't seen a single damaged leaf after that.

Never been a big fan of organic methods of critter control. They don't seem to work well and require frequent reapplications. Sitting on the deck, I have the Sluggo, a bottle of mite killer and a bottle of Sevin. Just let those damn critters invade my peppers. :D

Edited to add: I have to stop reading your glog in the afternoon at the office. All it does is make me hungry.
Jeff, thanks for comments/insight and glad you enjoy the foodies I post soon come dinner from tonight, hope you enjoy dat too ^_^

Al-from-Chile said:
U R right, I herewith assign 'mon the title "Chuck Norris of the THP-Board"

Mon you should have just invited the French folks over...

BYOB, I take care of the snacks
ROFLMAO

Devv said:
Hmmm crushing is work LOL flip 'em over and salt 'em. Should be more fun too :D

I find some snails around here every once in a while, little things about the size of pinky fingernail.

99% of the time they're dead and stuck to something.

Silly snails should know better than to be out in the Tejas sun ;)
Nice, these arent a deal breaker theyre mainly a bother in the rainy season, the rest of the year you hardly see one.

StupidJerk said:
Those snail pictures made me hungry for some escargot! I've got some French blood in me, must be what is causing it.
Not sure you can ship live snails but if youre game Ill start saving them for you ;)

Made Enchilado de Camarones for dinner tonight, you can see the plating pictures below and if you are interested you can read the recipe and see all the pictures by CLICKING HERE

f101gx.jpg

2yxqbk6.jpg

x5a88o.jpg

Back