• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Walmart sells Carolina Reaper Plants

Looks like reapers are starting to go mainstream. I suppose it was only a matter of time.

ThatBlondGuy101 said:

there should be more of a warning than "dangerously hot"

Well, they are advertising it as "the hottest pepper in the universe". My God, what more warning do people need? That should be plenty of warning for everyone, don't you think?

(Thinks back on "the people of Wal-Mart" pictures) Well, OK, maybe not everyone...

Hmm, the ad says "shipped and sold by Hirt's Gardens." So, I guess they may or may not be actual legit Reapers. I would feel much more confident if they said "shipped and sold by Peppers by Mail!" Get on it, AJ!  :cool:

Not a new thing. Remember they are competing tightly with amazon. Online wal-mart is a whole new world, with fulfillment just like az, 2 day shipping, the whole 9.

Wal-mart uses Hirt's Gardens to fulfill, whatever Hirt's has you can find on Wal-Mart.com. Different from in-store stock. Again, the the online experience is much like amazon, in a fight for survival against the beast. Will you find one in a store? No idea. I doubt it.

They also have lots of other reaper stuff available only online. https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=carolina%20reaper&cat_id=0

ShowMeDaSauce said:
This year Bonnie started offering Ghost peppers and of course they will pressure their larger vendors to stock them. I saw them at all the usual places like Lowes, Walmart and HomeDeot.
I actually picked up a six pack of plants for $4.99 which contained a ghost pepper plant. It is doing really well in my raised bed under a shade cloth and loaded with tons of peppers. Honestly I can't complain as it also came with red habanero, serrano, jalapeno, anaheim and thai plants.

BlackFatalii said:
Hmm, the ad says "shipped and sold by Hirt's Gardens." So, I guess they may or may not be actual legit Reapers. I would feel much more confident if they said "shipped and sold by Peppers by Mail!" Get on it, AJ!  :cool:

Gotta first say I am flattered you'd think I could be so organized.  Maybe someday, but for now I think drop shipping via Walmart, Amazon, or the others is way outside of my reach.

PepperLover said:
looks like Moruga scorpion/Brain Strain to me 

I think so too, especially the one on the left.  But something really weird is going on with the Carolina Reaper or its marketing. To look at the photos, even those from very reputable sources, one would think the thing is destabilizing. I am not saying it is.  I am not even sure it is possible.  Its just that lots of seed / plant dealers are showing photos that I would not look at and think Carolina Reaper.  One would think that variety would become more true to form as time went on.  Just seems odd.

Example:

http://www.fataliiseeds.net/Chili-Seeds/Chili-seeds-C.chinense?product_id=157

Back