• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Watch out for identity theft

I don't know how it happened, but somehow my PayPal account got hacked and I'm out $500. Just another reason to go over your bank account statements every month.

Eek, sorry to hear that dude...but that's just another reason why I don't keep money in my bank account (well, that and because I'm broke)

dreamtheatervt said:
I don't know how it happened, but somehow my PayPal account got hacked and I'm out $500. Just another reason to go over your bank account statements every month.
You probably got one of the emails where they make it look like it came from paypal asking you for information, and you clicked the link and logged in (to the clone site) giving them your password.

sorry to hear that happened & hope you dont get stuck with that bill, I guess that might be a good enough reason to have a different account for just paypal & only have money in that account when its needed, since if theres no money in it transactions wont go through ?

chilehunter said:
sorry to hear that happened & hope you dont get stuck with that bill, I guess that might be a good enough reason to have a different account for just paypal & only have money in that account when its needed, since if theres no money in it transactions wont go through ?
You can have 0 in the account and still pay for things, you just need to have a bank account or credit card on file as backup.

thehotpepper.com said:
You probably got one of the emails where they make it look like it came from paypal asking you for information, and you clicked the link and logged in (to the clone site) giving them your password.

No, that didn't happen. E-mails from paypal use your full name, and I don't use direct links in any emails, including those sent from friends and co-workers...I'm very careful and not naive. I just heard from PayPal and they refunded my money.

Back