• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

water Watering question...

With over 150 seedlings in small pots, I'm finding the method of placing each one in its own cup and then into a second cup, separated by a pebble to be a lot of work.

I have moved them into groups of 12 - 16 on a tray, and would like to know the following:

If they only wick up sufficient water for their needs, is it fine to leave them standing in water in the tray? (Or do I let the tray dry out periodically?)

;)

Standing water leads to insect problems, as well as bacterial and fungal problems. Don't let it sit around too long.

I may be wrong in doing so, but I only water my seedlings when they need it (read "start drooping" a bit)

I definitely would not let them sit in water...remember this...

wet soil + high temps = root rot

AlabamaJack said:
I may be wrong in doing so, but I only water my seedlings when they need it (read "start drooping" a bit)

I definitely would not let them sit in water...remember this...

wet soil + high temps = root rot

Listen closely to this man. Also, wait for the soil to almost completely dry out before watering again. Let the little guys droop a bit.

Too much water is not good for peppers and definitely not seedlings or young plants. Don't let them sit in the water for longer than 5 to 10 minutes and only infrequently as needed.

Back