• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

storage Way too many peppers...dry or freeze?

if you freeze the purees and seal them right they last quite a long time. i provide peppers and purees for a local pizza place down here for the danger wings he makes. this has gone on for years and there has never been a freshness issue. freezing the whole peppers last a long time as well but if you want to keep them whole they will be soft upon thawing. this would make bighting with food kind of unpleasant. no vinegar is needed for the purees though. flavour loss could be an issue but the heat will still be there.

I'm drying any extras I get. After tasting Tabasco powder a few weeks back, and using it in a lot of different recipes, I'd dare say it can even be better than fresh peppers.

I always freeze mine and have no problem with them getting mushy. Of course I cut them frozen and then use them immediately. They're just as hot as ever. :onfire:

@ CharlesNYC -- Do you take grind up your tabasco peppers with the seeds still in them? I usually deseed my larger peppers (bhuts, fatalis, various habaneros), but that seems like an awful amount of work for such a tiny, and surprisingly juice filled pepper. But yeah, for me personally, chile pepper powder is where it's at b/c it is so damn versatile and easily incorporates the flavor and heat into pretty much any dish I cook.

Back