• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

We made our first sauces!!!

One was a pretty standard habanero sauce and one was a mango habanero sauce. First time we have made any hot sauce at all and we were very pleased!!

Mango Sauce:
5 habaneros
1 mango
3/4 yellow bell
1/4 white onion
1C vinegar
1C water
1 tbs salt

IMG_20131119_164918_671.jpg

Standard Habanero:
5 habaneros
1 carrot
4 cloves garlic
1/4 onion
1C water
1C vinegar
1tbs salt

IMG_20131119_164937_920.jpg

Chopped it all up...

IMG_20131119_170716_092.jpg

IMG_20131119_170728_426.jpg

Put it all on a simmer for about an hour...

IMG_20131119_172326_405.jpg

IMG_20131119_172331_941.jpg

Put it all in a food processor, then through a mesh strainer.

IMG_20131119_182317_240.jpg

IMG_20131119_182843_818.jpg

And our first couple of sauces were ready!! Delicious!!

IMG_20131119_183313_972.jpg

IMG_20131119_183435_193.jpg

Congrats! This was my first year as well, and I used very similar recipes to yours, but I didn't strain mine. Very simple, but delicious! It becomes very addictive very fast I've noticed. Best of luck on future sauces!

Very nice! I made my first "official" sauce as well this year, and couldn't be more excited! I imagine you're pretty stoked as well

This my first year as well. My garden mainly consisted of habs and cayennes. We did plant some jalapeños but for some strange reason they grew well but had absolutely no heat whatsoever. You could cut one open and grind it in your eye and you'd be fine. They tasted like green peppers. For next year I've already ordered some seeds... Trinidad moruga scorpions, naga vipers, Carolina reapers, and scotch bonnets. I'm going to do the habs and cayennes again since they are a safe bet, and I'll probably order some jalapeño seeds from far away to make sure I'm getting away from the local gene pool. :)

nice sauce's, wich one do you think is the best tasting, for example on a hamburger?
gonne try one soon after making lots of tabasco-like sauce's, yours looks good, mayby just have to try them both :P

Heisenberg said:
This my first year as well. My garden mainly consisted of habs and cayennes. We did plant some jalapeños but for some strange reason they grew well but had absolutely no heat whatsoever. You could cut one open and grind it in your eye and you'd be fine. They tasted like green peppers. For next year I've already ordered some seeds... Trinidad moruga scorpions, naga vipers, Carolina reapers, and scotch bonnets. I'm going to do the habs and cayennes again since they are a safe bet, and I'll probably order some jalapeño seeds from far away to make sure I'm getting away from the local gene pool. :)
That's odd that your jalapeños weren't hot.. Quite a bit off topic, but it makes me think about when I took a trip to Canada and tried to get some hot wings and they were like mild wings! Not the least bit hot. I thought maybe it was just that Canadians don't like the heat. Lol. Glad to see it's not like that everywhere!

yezhead said:
nice sauce's, wich one do you think is the best tasting, for example on a hamburger?
gonne try one soon after making lots of tabasco-like sauce's, yours looks good, mayby just have to try them both :P
I think the mango one is a little bit more fun to eat. I will either add another mango or throw in a second fruit next time to make it a little sweeter. But their both great!

Back