• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Web client will not pay

I redesigned a web site for a business three years ago and have been maintaining it since. My rates are not cheap, but not high either - over 18 months of changing menus, updating images, adding new things (all based upon requests), that portion of the bill comes to about $190.

They had always paid quickly in the past, so this was like a small nest egg waiting for me if I ever needed it. Well, the other day, they had me change the options on serving large numbers of customers - they said business has not been real good and they didn't want to take a reservation and in six months not be able to fulfill it. Lights and bells went off and I figured I better submit my bill. The GM was fine, get it to me, I'll get you check immediately.

So I sent an invoice. Two weeks passed and not a word. I emailed the GM and she said the invoice was "confusing." I guess having an itemized list of what I did, what each thing cost, and what the total (in bold letters) was is confusing to some people. :?:

So I resent a less confusing, if possible one that at the bottom had:

Pay This Amount: $302.90

Another ten days passed. I've since e-mailed her and tried calling - she is either busy or in a meeting but will call me back, which of course she doesn't.

Today, I replaced the Home Page with one that says the site is unavailable and a redirect to a listing of other restaurants in Cincinnati.

This web site has to have some value to the restaurant, certainly 50¢ a day. They get 120 visits per day, half of them first-timers. If the site helps one couple a week to dine there, they have covered their costs for a month.

Maybe this encourage Amy to get me my check.

Mike

Held at ransom for $302.90. :lol:

Mike, having had my own business before in the past, I sucks when customers don't pay. I hope you get you're money. Have you thought about small claims court? You don't need a lawyer and the filing fee is usually minimal.

Unfortunately, winning a small claims court case and $1.29 will get you a cup of coffee. It's possible to hire a lawyer and convert the finding into something that has teeth, such as being able to attach a lien or whatever, but I prefer much more simple ways. Such as redirecting the home page to their competitor's site. Sending a message to everyone on their newsletter list - yes, I added that feature to their site and have several names!

I grew up in Ripley, OH, a small town about 60 miles from Cincinnati. There were basically two types of males there: River Rats and Hilljacks. WE don't get mad, we get even. And the GM is going to have to pay me for my work changing the web site than changing it back.

Mike

Boy, remind me never to get on your bad side Mike...:P I've been there and I'm sure it'll work out. Most people pay once you show them that the consequence out way not paying. I had a friend of mine who one shut off all the power on a huge job site cause the owner wouldn't pay him. He pad locked the main switch off. he was paid the very next day.

wordwiz said:
Today, I replaced the Home Page with one that says the site is unavailable and a redirect to a listing of other restaurants in Cincinnati.

Mike

Pretty sure they won't be paying it now.....

I don't think extortion is the way. That is their site and hosting, but you would be in the right to remove all your work and make it look the old way, which is more time, but you'd be in the right. Either that or legal action for the work.

Just my 2 cents.

thehotpepper.com said:
I don't think extortion is the way. That is their site and hosting, but you would be in the right to remove all your work and make it look the old way, which is more time, but you'd be in the right. Either that or legal action for the work.

Just my 2 cents.

THP,

The domain name belongs to them - I had to jump through bunches of hoops and the restaurant had to pay $90 to have the name released (another story - I was threatened with a law suit because of what I wrote to the hosting company!) but I paid for the hosting.

Their is no way I can restore it to the original site, not that I would consider it even if I could. Why would I want to spend several hours doing something that I would have problems getting paid for, given that it is not my fault they haven't paid their hosting fees (among other things).

When my wife called the restaurant asking about the site being down, she was told it is being renovated and should be back up in a couple of days. Yeah, right. If I get a check!

Mike

I'd just replace their index page with one containing a large "under construction" sign with a note underneath, "delay indefinite due to a shortage of funds".

Silver_Surfer said:
I'd just replace their index page with one containing a large "under construction" sign with a note underneath, "delay indefinite due to a shortage of funds".

I would go this route. "Website under construction due to failure to pay for web services. Try the place next door for now."

This doesn't exactly have to do with getting paid, but it does have to do with payback........

early in SalsaDude's career as an electrician, he and his boss were on a job site with painters who had a boombox BLARING all day. They asked them to turn it down but to no avail. The painters went to lunch, during which time the painters also got a little herbal and the boss re-wired the outlet they were using for the boombox to 240V instead of 120v.

As electricians, we usually try to keep the smoke INSIDE the wires, but sometimes it's fun to see it go POOF!

Uh OH! I said POOF, am I in trouble with Pippy?

ps- we have threatened to go to a jobsite and rip out what had been installed. Never got to that point, but it was close!

peter pepper said:
I say take them to PEOPLE"S COURT!!

Let see you on TV.

wan gonna say this seems like a case for JUDGE JUDY!!!!!!

Do they have good food? If so jus t go dine there on a very busy night (like Saturdays) and when they bring the bill you hand them your invoice and say you will pay when they do or that they can substract the amount... I'm guessing they will not make a fuss with all their customers around :)

Back