• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Web of life...

I've been feeding a basement dwelling feral female spider ( it's some type of species which makes a funnel type web) over that last couple of months.

She has gotten larger from the flightless fruit flies i have been supplying her with each day.

Over the past few days i have noticed that a male has come knocking, maybe trying to court little Miss Sunshine. ;)

Here is a pic of the female (on top) and her male suitor.

IMG_2679-basement-spiders-m-andfemale.jpg

And here is another pic...i'm only showing it because i noticed there was an ant in the upper left corner.

IMG_2673-basement-spiders-with-ant.jpg

For those that aren't fans of spiders, these seem to be quite shy and unassuming, unlike the aggressive new species of spider/tarantula that is killing people in India.

http://www.examiner.com/article/spi...ive-spiders-panics-indian-town-leaving-2-dead

Here are a few shots of a spider that i have been feeding that lives right outside of our garage door.

IMG_2708-spider.jpg

This spider likes to come out and sun itself once the sun swings around in the late afternoon.

IMG_2696-spider.jpg

It has brown banded markings on its legs and a brown patch on its back that resembles a spearhead.

IMG_2692-spider.jpg

Today i fed it some D. melanogaster flightless fruit flies. :)

IMG_2689-spider.jpg

dvg

Last night, using the camera's flash, i was able to capture a couple of spiders on my tomato plant reacting well to an offering of D. hydei flightless fruit flies.

IMG_2711-close-up-spider-ontomato-plant.jpg

This orb weaver took the fly in the centre of its web, but probably because i was hovering overhead flashing pics, it quickly took it's prey and scurried over to the far edge of its web.

IMG_2730-spider-on-tomato-plant.jpg

I was surprised at how quickly this spider was able to gnash its way through the fly's head as evidenced by the ever widening spacing of the fly's eyes, seemingly as fast and furious as any ravenous half-crazed zombie overdosed on bath salts.

IMG_2736-spider-on-tomato-plant.jpg

Maybe macabre to us, but any debate over what twisted spin of the karmic wheel fated the spider with this incarnation is probably best left for humans to idly speculate over, because the spider efficiently goes about its business, without guilt, without hesitation and without remorse.

This next pic is interesting because it nicely highlights the front leg joints of this spider, eerily similar to some visage of a dark spectre's bony digit grimly beckoning the nearly departed to lift the veil and cross to the other side...

IMG_2734-spider-on-tomato-plant.jpg

To end this session on a cheerier note, how about this ambitious little mighty mite of a spider quite willing and able take on and take down prey its own size.

IMG_2714-tiny-spider-tackles-fruit-fly.jpg

I kinda feel obliged to applaud this little spider's effort and tenacity here.

IMG_2731-tiny-spider-tackles-fruit-fly.jpg

dvg

Sweet pics. I've always hated spiders and would kill any that I saw before I started gardening this year (I know, it was irrational). Now I do my best to accommodate them as much as possible. Amazing how your attitude changes once you realize they help you out.

I Love spiders I have this thing for grabbing them with my hand if not poisonous if it is then i like to challenge my self to kill it with my fingers lol but if its comfortable somewhere in my garden I let it be and do what it has to do.

Those are some amazing pics and I love the way you described each pic. Nice to see you around Doug .

Thanks for sharing :dance:

i thought i was the only nutty Albertan! Last month I had to say good bye to my wolf spider that has been sharing my basement tub since last July - we changed the water in the hot tub so i moved her outside. she lived on fungus knats that would fly into the washroom.

here is a favourite link of mine - see if you can identify her.

http://www.spidersofalberta.com/main.htm

Just showed my wife the pics, and she bout passed out!! Sweet pics. :dance: Be careful the spider and her mate look like brown reculse, not sure if you have those in Canada, They are poisonous!

Oh hell yeah! I love nothing better than to see fruit flies being feasted upon! (little buggers have been causing me so much grief) :hell:

Very nice shots, dvg!

Very cool pictures DVG. I've been feeding outdoor/garage spiders since I was old enough to walk lol.. When my wife and I first met she would freak out and kill any spider in the house. Ha, I remember one day she saw a big ol brown house in her room when we first met.. She didn't sleep in her room for 6 days while I searched for it each day lol. After years of convincing her they're more scared of her than she is of them, they don't bite unless scared or threatened, and teaching her how to capture them and let them loose outside, she now either tells me where they are so I can relocate them or she does it herself :)

I second dawgbites comment, they sure do look alot like brown reculses.
Thanks for sharing.

Brandon

Those are some great pics Doug! :dance:
You captured the detail perfectly man!

IMG_2736-spider-on-tomato-plant.jpg

Im really diggin this one !
GET IN MY BELLY!!!

:cool:
Kevin

Reactions: dvg
Thanks for the comments guys.

Luckily for us brown recluse spiders are not commonly found here.

The spiders in the first couple of pics are most likely domestic house spiders/barn funnel weavers aka Tegenaria domestica.

dvg

The little mighty mite spider has grown some.

Despite some colorful markings,

IMG_3058-spider-on-tomato-leaf.jpg

i'm still not decided on if this little spider is cute or creepy...

IMG_3046-spider-on-tomato-leaf.jpg

Later on, embracing a hapless fruit fly.

IMG_3088-spider-with-fruit-fly.jpg

dvg

Back