• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Website Plagarism.

Hi all... I saw a thread about people nicking other peoples webpage content. Here is a link I often used while I was at law school. If you copy and paste your web content into it, it will do a google search and return you any results and a percentage. From memory, anything above 7% is plagarism. Some common phrases like "Scoville Heat Units" will return you a lot of hits as will any normal use sentences. In any case, it is easy to see clearly if a deliberate copy has occurred.

http://www.articlechecker.com/

And no. I can careless what a link is or is not. lol.

Nice that is really cool and good to know...I don't have a website, but if I did I'd use it. Thanks for the info.

Here's a question... I've certainly posted links to other websites in conversations on this website. I don't pass off the information contained in the link as my own, and neither the source nor the recipient charge a fee for access to the information, how could this be a problem?

What is the online rules for plagarism. If I quote someone and provide a link to the source is that exceptable?

You kind of have to look at publishing content via a website much like publishing content via any other means - a book, magazine, or newspaper, for examples. As long as your published content is not for-profit (your're not selling anything) and you give credit where credit is due (mark it clearly as a quote and provide information on and link to the source, and not just in tiny print somewhere obscurely on the site), you're usually okay. It's still nice to send a courtesy note to the original publisher, regardless.

Once you delve into the for-profit range, however, things can get trickier. At this point it is safer to request permission of the original publisher of the material before using it. This can be messy, in the cases where someone else is plagiarising yet another party's content (ie - you need to do some research to determine who the true original publisher is.)

I tend to be conservative on these points when developing websites for my clients - if they're not providing original materials of their own, I always ask them to obtain permission before using content. Some items, of course, are published specifically for re-use, such as images from Comstock - in these cases the license simply needs to be checked.

There's been mentions of people finding pictures of chiles they've grown being used by some pod seller they've never heard of.

I can see where the search-thingy CraigZee posted can help people protect descriptions or text they have in their websites. If someone else starts making a sauce with the same name as one of mine, and then they use the exact same description of the sauce as we have on our website......
:flamethrower:

Thanks for sharing, CraigZee

Geeme is correct about the for-profit part. Also it is whether the 'borrower' as a significant commercial entity. A case example was JK Rollins law suit against a small publication that made a 'Book of Wizards'. As the small publication had a very low commercial value when compared to JK's Harry Potter, the court held that JK was not able to show any detriment by the unauthorised use.

That is really interesting subject - from many points of view. First of all, legal side of plagiarism appears to be diverting. I am not a lawyer, but all these little nuances that may be interpreted in many ways... Fascinating.

Talking about web-checkers, indeed, do they count quotations and text with references to the source? I tried www.plagtracker.com, and seems like it takes account of this problem. What is your experience with plagiarism checking tools?

Back