• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Wegman's Jumbo Cayenne

I picked this bad boy up while in Wegman's Grocery Store the other day. When I first saw it, I did a double take and thought "That's a Cayenne?" I grew some Cayennes back in the 90's and had some rather large bushes with what I thought were big pods, but nothing like this. The biggest mine got were maybe 5 inches. This thing might reach 8 inches if stretched out and it's quite fleshy. It set me back all of $.12 (12 cents - at $3.99 lb) and I primarily just bought it for the seeds. (I got 20-30 out of it) I'll try growing it next year and see if I can get anything approaching this size. Cayennes make the best all around powder IMO and hopefully I can get a bunch of huge pods from just a few plants.

Nice pod. Best of luck growing it next season.

I grew some Joe's Long Cayenne this season and had pods over 10 inches long. I think there are some other varieties that may be longer still.

Last year I grew cayennes bought as plants by Home Depot and most of the pods were 8-10 inches. They were so plentiful and huge all of the plants fell over. These were plenty hot and made great powder. Good luck on yours. Wish I had taken pictures.

I am growing the Long Thick Cayenne variety, and my summer pods were all in the 8" - 10" range, too. The late season pods that are beginning to ripen now, however, are more in the 5"-6" range. I'm curious to see how next year works out.

Here's an early season pic (sorry, no ruler, but the two longest there did get to 10"):
cowhorn20100721.JPG

The above pic was taken in July, noting this is a first-year plant. I'm actually surprised the thing hasn't fallen over. It has roughly 40 pods on it right now, and it's still standing on its own.

Here's a pic of the same plant from this weekend - you can see the pods are much, much shorter:
cay.jpg

"Cowhorn" is used two ways - one to describe a fairly mild pepper of a specific variety, and two to describe any variety of pepper with a shape similar to these. So yes, you could say it looks like a cowhorn. The label that came with the plant says Long Thick Cayenne - and it's pods have been at least as hot as the fatalii's I've had - some hotter.

Sweet looking plant geeme, those pods are crazy. I've definitely been out of the Cayenne loop for a while because these pod sizes are just incredible. Hopefully I get some decent results next spring, I'm going to start my stuff early - seeds are getting Wonder Soil in January.

Back