• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

cloning Went off and done built me a high-tech cloner thingy

Just wanted to see a list of materials and assembly instructions.

Or you could throw up a link.

Thanks.

Happy Harvests.

GnomeGrown said:
Just wanted to see a list of materials and assembly instructions.

Or you could throw up a link.

Thanks.

Happy Harvests.
Wasn't referring to you, but I don't really have a list that I wrote down. I just Googled Diy cloner and found a thread on icmag forum and followed their instructions

coheed196 said:
And I'm not sure if I'm jus taking this the wrong way or something, but I never said I came up with this all by myself. I said in the 1st post I found it on a cannabis forum.

You read into it too much. I was just trying to help out Gnome since I knew that plans were all over the net from the pot guys.

GnomeGrown said:
Any update on your cuttings?
Yea I have roots just starting to poke out on 2 of the 5 cuttings. They were started on the 20th of August so right at 10 days. The other 3 weren't started until the 26th so I'm sure it'll be a few days on them. My phone is dying and won't let me use the camera but I'll share pictures tomorrow
djinn said:
coheed one question for you why did you go from the s shape to the rectangle design?
No particular reason really. I read several different instructions on about 3 different forums and I just liked the square better really. No other reason than that

does the s shape vs the rectangular shape affect the spray with the same gph pump? that is the only reason i am asking. one other question i have for you is how much nutrient per gallon were you you using to start the clipping? 

i am only asking these questions because i am probably putting one of these together this weekend... 

djinn said:
does the s shape vs the rectangular shape affect the spray with the same gph pump? that is the only reason i am asking. one other question i have for you is how much nutrient per gallon were you you using to start the clipping? 

i am only asking these questions because i am probably putting one of these together this weekend... 

Nope, shape doesn't matter. Both the square and the S both have (9) 360° sprayers. As far as nutrients go, I'm not using any...no nutrients or cloning gel/powder. There's no need for them. The cuttings will root just fine without them, I am the proof of that. I'm sure there's no harm in using a rooting gel before putting them in the cloner, but it's definitely not necessary.

I used just plain ol tap water, not dechlorinated or anything special. The heat the pump puts off is plenty enough to warm the water. I just spray the few leaves that I leave on the cutting maybe once a day with plain water. They aren't under any lights (they're actually in a pretty dark garage) there's one window but it's nowhere near the clones. Just make sure you sterilize everything you use...the razor, the neoprene, the net pots, and of course the bucket. I use alcohol swabs on my razor each time it touches a different plant.

FYI: Don't try to use scissors to take the cutting. No matter how sharp you think they are, they will still damage the cut end. Scissors actually "squeeze" the stem you're cutting and you won't have a clean cut. I personally use a box cutter. I will use scissors to take the initial cut and then use the box cutter to make the final cut. Also, you don't even have to have a 45° cut either.

coheed196 said:
Nope, shape doesn't matter. Both the square and the S both have (9) 360° sprayers. As far as nutrients go, I'm not using any...no nutrients or cloning gel/powder. There's no need for them. The cuttings will root just fine without them, I am the proof of that. I'm sure there's no harm in using a rooting gel before putting them in the cloner, but it's definitely not necessary.

I used just plain ol tap water, not dechlorinated or anything special. The heat the pump puts off is plenty enough to warm the water. I just spray the few leaves that I leave on the cutting maybe once a day with plain water. They aren't under any lights (they're actually in a pretty dark garage) there's one window but it's nowhere near the clones. Just make sure you sterilize everything you use...the razor, the neoprene, the net pots, and of course the bucket. I use alcohol swabs on my razor each time it touches a different plant.

FYI: Don't try to use scissors to take the cutting. No matter how sharp you think they are, they will still damage the cut end. Scissors actually "squeeze" the stem you're cutting and you won't have a clean cut. I personally use a box cutter. I will use scissors to take the initial cut and then use the box cutter to make the final cut. Also, you don't even have to have a 45° cut either.
thank you very much for that info, although i do have to treat any water i get around here. i plan on putting one of these together this week

djinn

This is Beyond my reach right now.  I'm only starting up for the second time of growing peppers.  I hope that I can get to the point to have something like that.  I undertand what you're doing and the setup looks great!  I'm taking notes and bookmarking pages!

Want to squeeze a little more performance from that system?

Add a barbed fitting to the manifold, install a one way check valve in an air line so you don't feed your air pump water ;) and plug your manifold in to a air pump!

More oxygen and a finer mist, which the plants love!

Hey man! How's everything? Have any roots yet? Some kids broke the main stem off one of my plants, and I ended up cutting it and slapped it right on my cloner. One week and a half I have roots already.

I'm curious to see how your cloner works. I was going to build one the same as yours, but decided on the HTG design.

, Walter

Nice setup.  I bought some Coir Bricks from a CraigsList add and the guy had 2 nice cloner setups, I think they were 48 hole for a 50 spot a piece.  
I'll bet he had 2x that in parts.    I would have bought em if I had a use for em :rolleyes:  

Back