• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

cloning Went off and done built me a high-tech cloner thingy

HydroFyre said:
Did your bucket end up working??? Update?
Yes indeed it works. I have ran it for 2 "cycles". First run I had 5 of 7 grow roots, second run I only filled 5 holes and 3 grew roots. So basically67% success rate. I believe one reason the others didn't take is I didn't flush the soil out before taking the cutting. I'm not sure if it's absolutely necessary but I read that for the 5 days before you plan on cutting you're supposed to water 2 gallons of water per 5 gallons of soil to flush the soil of any fertilizer. Reason being is that if the cutting already hasnutrients in it, it has no reason to grow roots to receive nutrients. I also had to fiddle with the light levels....too much light and the cutting will focus too much of it's energy on photosynthesis and not rooting, too low and it can't make any food so I had to find that balance.

coheed196 said:
Yes indeed it works. I have ran it for 2 "cycles". First run I had 5 of 7 grow roots, second run I only filled 5 holes and 3 grew roots. So basically67% success rate. I believe one reason the others didn't take is I didn't flush the soil out before taking the cutting. I'm not sure if it's absolutely necessary but I read that for the 5 days before you plan on cutting you're supposed to water 2 gallons of water per 5 gallons of soil to flush the soil of any fertilizer. Reason being is that if the cutting already hasnutrients in it, it has no reason to grow roots to receive nutrients. I also had to fiddle with the light levels....too much light and the cutting will focus too much of it's energy on photosynthesis and not rooting, too low and it can't make any food so I had to find that balance.
From my experience, cuttings like indirect light. Too much light can stress them. I just left mine in the dining area and they only received "room brightness" type of light. Same thing when I transplanted from the aerogarden to soil. Only indirect light, and I had nice results.

, Walter

Vegas_Chili said:
From my experience, cuttings like indirect light. Too much light can stress them. I just left mine in the dining area and they only received "room brightness" type of light. Same thing when I transplanted from the aerogarden to soil. Only indirect light, and I had nice results.

, Walter
After some moving it around a couple of times, I found that mine liked it best about 6-7 ft. Away from my growing table. I'm growing a few prized seeds over the winter indoors with my 4ft 6 bulb T5's. It puts out quite a bit of light, so about that distance away from the lights seems to do best for me. All of my "pepper stuff" as my wife puts it, is in the dark, windowless garage where there is no ambient light.

Back