beer What are you brewing this weekend?

As a way to get back on this board a bit more i thought i'd bring one of these threads with me.

So...what are you brewing this weekend?

This weekend i'm brewing a lapsang souchong rauchbier. possibly some rye in the mash and some candi sugar to dry it out. This will also be my first all-grain brew. I'll likely mess it up, but i have some DME if i miss my target gravity.

doing a 60 shilling scottish gruit with no hops today, using heather and wormwood instead as a bittering agent

tomorrow is just a traditional hefe, with about a 2.5% ABV kick, starting gravity usually comes out to around .068 - .071

lostmind said:
Pics? Full recipe?

I'm leaning towards a weizen or something myself. Not decided yet!
Can't brew what has not been brewed. It's not Saturday yet. :) Plus i haven't finalized a recipe or a mash schedule. Kind of gonna wing it and take notes.

wheebz said:
doing a 60 shilling scottish gruit with no hops today, using heather and wormwood instead as a bittering agent

tomorrow is just a traditional hefe, with about a 2.5% ABV kick, starting gravity usually comes out to around .068 - .071
How does a gruit taste? when i was reading about them, it sounded kind of sketchy.

Gruits are one of those beers that taste exactly like the ingredients you use

Heather ale is a classic and traditional style gruit

In all honesty, I have only ever tried one other heather beer, and thats Fraoch from Heather Ales, LTD in Scotland, and I liked it a lot, which is why I want to experiment with it

I did leave out the wormwood this time though

I want to see how the heather works by itself

Next one I do is actually going to be fermented in the primary with wormwood, mugwort, and elderflowers

From what I am reading in this sacred herbs book, all of the active ingredients in the herbs are actually applied to the beer, in which case a glass or 2 of it should have you feeling pretty darn good

wheebz said:
In all honesty, I have only ever tried one other heather beer, and thats Fraoch from Heather Ales, LTD in Scotland, and I liked it a lot, which is why I want to experiment with it

I *really* like that heather ale. We get it once a year here and when it comes by I buy 3 or 4 cases.

I'm a baby brewer and I've got 44 bottles of Woodfordes Wherry waiting to mature, going to try something not from a kit the next time. I like the idea of replicating Hebridean Gold from the Isle of Skye Brewery they use porridge oats in the brew and it's a grand beer.

Not much this weekend. Just doing a starter today for some pacman yeast. Next weekend I will be making an apa with it.

i love that pacman yeast

I used that for a Citra Pale Ale I brewed about a month and a half ago

stuff is great

This will be the first time I use it. I love Dead Guy though (same yeast) so I really have high hopes for it. I think the plan is to wash it so I can get a lot of use out of it.

Back