• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What are your best "Super-Hot" producers?

So far, with only Datil's, 7-Pot, Scorpion, Fatalii and Red Savina growing this year, I've got to say my best producer by weight was the Scorpion, then the Datil's, then the Red Savina, then the Fatalii and lastly, the 7-Pot.

I think next year, I'm going to drop growing the 7-Pot. The plants just didn't produce enough to make it worthwhile to me.

The Fatalii's are the best looking peppers I've grown. Damn but they're beautiful peppers! They come off the bush looking so good, I've had a couple people say "Are those real?", because they're so shiny and perfect looking.

So anyway, what are your best super-hot producers by weight?

my best by weight this year so far has been the Naga/Jolokia family...specifically Naga Morich

don't give up on the 7s just yet...what I have found is they are definitely late season producers...and they have a taste like no other...the heat is amazing..

I've found the naga morich and dorset naga to be extreme producers, far more productive than any other super-hottie for me

AlabamaJack said:
my best by weight this year so far has been the Naga/Jolokia family...

don't give up on the 7s just yet...what I have found is they are definitely late season producers...and they have a taste like no other...the heat is amazing..
That's interesting AJ. Next year, I'll have several of the Naga/Jolokia species growing.

I'll see what my 7-Pot's do this late season. I have four of them out. The first half of the season, they hardly produced anything. The Scorpions were popping out like popcorn. Same with the Red Savina's.

My Fatalii's just got their second blush and it's heavy. The entire plant is covered with peppers. Sweet!

On another note, something I'm sure may interest you:

My outside hydroponic garden station is almost built. It'll have 32 plant locations on a 5 foot, 4 sided tube that hangs vertically with 8 growing locations on each side. Less can be used for larger plants, but if the plant type of small enough, then 8 can be planted on each side.

The footprint of the unit is 16 square feet and will be stand-alone, under it's own roof, which will be clear Plexiglas or opaque sun panels.

I've designed it with no water intrusion into the reservoir, which will allow for a very accurate nutrient mix without dilution from rain.

My first run of the unit will be planted May 1st, 2010. I'll probably put a short season run on it this fall. I'll put some fast growing veggies in it to test it's specs.

I did a trial run of 10 pepper species in the same hydro system, but indoors, this year. It thrived like you wouldn't believe. I had an absolute jungle.

The outside unit will allow for unlimited outward growth from all four sides. Row spacing considerations are unnecessary.

If this thing works as I hope, I'll have photos of it here, next year, during it's test year. Then, if it works as well as I think it will, I'll put a bunch of them in my yard.

Wish me luck!

I've had good luck with the superhots including the 7's. My two Cappy "brain strains" have done 92(7gal) and 66(5 gal) pods so far. My best single plant is the Bih Jolokia(7gal) at 186 pods. Best Bhuts(7gal & 5gal) are 117 each. Best Dorset Naga(5gal) is 151 pods but it was kind of a genetic freak with crazy nodes and smaller pods, my other normal Dorset(7gal) with nice fat pods did 129. I don't know what they will make for the fall as they are all pretty much picked clean except for the Bhuts. Time will tell.

I agree on the Naga Morich in sheer number of pods but my nagas are smaller pods and don't weigh much. I think weight wise you are correct with Trinidad Scorpion pepper, lots of pods with good weight and heat 2nd only to the 7 Pod. I thought about not growing any other red chinense other that the Trinidad Scorpion because of it's harvest volume. I like variety in my pepper patch.

The Naga Morichs are by far my best producers. I can't give you a pod count but it was and still is a LOT. These plants continue to amaze me with their pod sets.

Holy crap! Some of you guys really got a wealth of peppers this year. I have some of the plants mentioned either on the grow or in germination trays so I won't be seeing any production from them this year. Judging by how many you guys are reporting, I can't wait until they produce next year.

Trinidad Scorpions have been my best super-hot plants two years in a row. I hope to try the Yellow Scorpion next year. Naga Morich was great last year too... can't wait to grow it again next year. 7 pots were great plants, but I didn't like the flavor of the strain I grew last year.

I have seeds for the Bhut Jolokia from NMSU. Is this one a good producer?

Has anyone here done this one, this year and had a real good yeild?

Oh yellow 7 pot by leaps and bounds. Add pod weight to the equation as a factor and it's unbeatable. I think my one plant is a genetic freak though. The others aren't like this one. Pod size is 2-3x larger on this one!

POTAWIE said:
I've found the naga morich and dorset naga to be extreme producers, far more productive than any other super-hottie for me

I too have found the Naga Morich to be MASSIVE producers of pods!

Back