• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What is a True - Naga / Bhut / Bih ?

The Indian Chinense strain has variations that seem to have many names. It gets very confusing.

Bhut, Naga, Bih...

QUESTION : WHAT IS THE TRUE PHOTOGRAPH OF EACH?

--Naga Morich
--Naga Dorset
--Bhut
--Bih

QUESTION : WHERE IS THE BEST SOURCE FOR SEED?

NMSU is not the original bhut source and they do not hold the world record, they only have the Guiness certificate because they did the testing, not the breeding. They grew and tested the bhut after claiming that the Assam scientists' shu test were false.

They have been around for many many years and they all have the same basic genetic code, they have just been grown in different areas and have adapted or have been selectively bred(no new genetics added)

but the only one that is a breeding thing is the Dorset Naga...grown out from Naga Morich seeds

the Bhut Jolokia and Bih Jolokia are true peppers...maybe the same but from different areas of India...

so when someone says to me Nagas...I think Naga Morich even though they may be talking about Dorset Nagas...when I type Nagas/Jolokias, I am refering to Naga Morich, Dorset Naga, Bhut Jolokia and Bih Jolokia...

I am growing all four varieties this year...plus I am growing some that were called Naga Jolokia by the man I got them from in Key West and they definitely are a chinense variety...they may be Naga Morich...I just have to get pods...as soon as I get all of them fruiting at the same time, I will post pictures for comparison...I think I started a thread with that thought in mind...

The dorset was only selectively bred from the naga morich, so no new genes were added. This is why Peppers by Post was denied PVP(plant variety protection) status.
I've also got 3 types of naga from a Bangladesh source, one of which I call the Bigbang naga

Understand P..thats why I said grown out...as you said, they were from the Naga Morich seeds..

I think we are saying the same thing P, just in different words..

POTAWIE said:
But selective breeding isn't really breeding, its just choosing a good sample for saving seeds.

That's what breeding is, selecting the ones with the attributes you want and breeding from them. It's the same with dogs that have been bred by humans selectively for different tasks/looks.

POTAWIE said:
They have been around for many many years and they all have the same basic genetic code, they have just been grown in different areas and have adapted or have been selectively bred(no new genetics added)
So do we and chimps. there's some genetic difference as they're not the same chile. yes, they are not the same chile, as they show different qualities under the same conditions. if once upon a time they were the same chile, that's another story.
AlabamaJack said:
but the only one that is a breeding thing is the Dorset Naga...grown out from Naga Morich seeds

the Bhut Jolokia and Bih Jolokia are true peppers...maybe the same but from different areas of India...

so when someone says to me Nagas...I think Naga Morich even though they may be talking about Dorset Nagas...when I type Nagas/Jolokias, I am refering to Naga Morich, Dorset Naga, Bhut Jolokia and Bih Jolokia...

I am growing all four varieties this year...plus I am growing some that were called Naga Jolokia by the man I got them from in Key West and they definitely are a chinense variety...they may be Naga Morich...I just have to get pods...as soon as I get all of them fruiting at the same time, I will post pictures for comparison...I think I started a thread with that thought in mind...
The Bhut and Bih thing is just a labeling issue. there are different varietions of the Indian chile(s), even in the same areas and you can get different chiles when getting a Bih and a Bhut. you must remember that while the chile(s) evoloved they were crossed back and forth and than some. the farmers didn't "isolate for true seed", just like the case of the famous Trinidad chiles. crossing creates new chiles.

They are very similar because, well, they either have the same parents (which makes sense as they come from the same region) or they all started from the same chile and were modified by time and further crosses. when you selectively breed something, you mess with its genetic code as you dismiss certain qualities. it's more than just Bhut, Bih, Morich and Dorset, there are many, many more in numbers, just that not all go by different names. I for example grow over ten different "Naga-type" chiles, and I mean noticeably different.

G'day.

Yes, that's selective breeding Lally but no new genes are introduced and everybody does this:)
Inbreeding works well with plants but not so well in the animal kingdom;)

I don't really know how different all the varieties are, but they all appear to be chinense with some frutescens. Without complete DNA comparisons I think it would be impossible to say for sure if some were "crossed back and forth and than some" or if they just adapted, or spontaneously mutated, or just show signs of selective breeding.

POTAWIE said:
Yes, that's selective breeding Lally but no new genes are introduced and everybody does this:)
Inbreeding works well with plants but not so well in the animal kingdom;)

Just coz I'm from a rural area no need to start with the inbreeding cracks:oops:
;)

There's no need to introduce new genes as far as my (limited) biology goes, selection based on trait can suppress genes that cause unwanted traits, promoting the desired ones.

That may well be wrong and I'll change it tomorrow once I check with my partner (she's a research biochemist)

Time to get the leftover chili con carne ready for her getting home.

Lally said:
Just coz I'm from a rural area no need to start with the inbreeding cracks:oops:
;)

Is that something like being from Arkansas in the USA? :lol:

All I'm saying is that selective breeding happens every time anyone saves seeds, but not everyone who saves seeds is a breeder, and not every seed is going to show noticeable differences or look like its parent. I personally think the difference in all the varieties is mostly because of selective breeding, as well as mutation, and adaptation.
Usually a plant can't be considered a new variety unless new genetics are introduced

Back