• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What is it about rain that makes my plants grow so fast?

Ok I need to know. Why is it that when it rains, like 2 days later I see the plants are 25% larger. I mean the growth rate is incredible. Regular water plus fertilizers never get even close to this....why?

afaik rainwater is slightly acidic. perfectly acidic that it breaks down the nutrients in the soil so plants can fully utilize it and doesn't harm plants (at least not too much), and we're not talking about acid rain either.
that's my understanding.

I've always wondered that too. I felt like my water was just... not good enough, lol.

But the idea of the rainwater being slightly more acidic makes sense to me.

I've had the same results with rain water; acidity is part of it. Ionization and being rich in oxygen is the other part of the equation me thinks.

Interesting, I always wondered the same thing. I just thought that it's because a good, long rain waters the plants more thoroughly and deeply than spending a few minutes with a watering can or hose (that could still be at least part of it). The acidity seems like a very possible and likely explanation, never really thought of that. But if rain's slightly acidic, it's kind of strange that over time, the soil doesn't become highly acidic and unsuitable for certain plants.

makes sense that it's oxygen rich. sorta sounds like the aerated compost tea.... gonna make an interesting experiment out of something similar and germination. lol. =D

Interesting, I always wondered the same thing. I just thought that it's because a good, long rain waters the plants more thoroughly and deeply than spending a few minutes with a watering can or hose (that could still be at least part of it). The acidity seems like a very possible and likely explanation, never really thought of that. But if rain's slightly acidic, it's kind of strange that over time, the soil doesn't become highly acidic and unsuitable for certain plants.

i guess if the soil concerned might get too acidic over time if and only if it's in containers. if it was in the ground, i don't think you'd need to worry about it too much. that's just my opinion.

If there is lightning then you'll get more usable nitrogen(nitrates) come down in the rain

Yup; that's the ionization (I think that's the right term) part. We get more lightening here than any other place I've ever lived. We're in the thick of it now. And my plants are thriving. It's been a long slog. ;)

My theory... Lots of overcast skies, less light, more exploratory growth... Ever notice if you bring a plant in and give it very little light, the thing takes off like a rocket, branches start flying outward, lots of space between nodes?

Soon as you stick it back outside in 7 hours of direct sun, it slows down and focuses more on flowering than stretching.

I notice that after rain I get more setting, probably due to the raindrops tapping the flowers and less stress from transpiration with closer to ideal daytime temps for setting fruit.

I never noticed a change in my plants at all. However I foiler feed so they always get 80% of all the ferts I give them that day and I always use treated oxygenated water high in nitrogen from my fish tank to water them. In addition I find that the worm tea really makes a difference as well. I guess I'm already giving them what rain would normally give them so there isn't ever any difference?

How does the air smell before a rain? How does it smell during and right after a rain?

If you can tell the difference the plants can probably too.

Total pseudoscience - I know! But a rain does not only make the roots wet, it also raises the humidity and cleans/feeds the foliage which might explain why so many of us seem to experience that our plants "like" rain more than watering with nutrients:)

I have noticed the same thing with rain water. we've had some rain the last two days here in South Louisiana and i put my plants out in the rain to get a good soaking. Some appear to have almost doubled in size, especially my Bhut. Still waiting on my first peppers.
Now that football season is starting, I may not have enough time to devout to the peppers. Hope they can survive on their own.

Who Dat..Two Dat.. New Orleans Saints.

I may not have enough time to devout to the peppers. Hope they can survive on their own.

I have been tempted to take some of my extra plants in the grow room (that are not doing anything special) and going out in the middle of the night and planting them in people's gardens.

I imagine if I did, they would be pretty shocked at the new plants growing... "Wow that weed shot up fast! Wasn't there yesterday! *scratches head*"

I'm getting strapped for space. All of my plants are in containers. The patio on the back side of my house gets the afternoon sun but it is so damn windy that it kills my plants. So i have them all next to my front door entrance. They get a couple of hours of am sun and are blocked from the wind. I need to come up with a better solution for next year as the plants in front of my house is not too attractive. None of my neighbors are growing plants. they are all waiting for my plants to produce. To this point, everyone has been disappointed. I suppose I could thin out my garden in front of my house and plant chile peppers next year. Hum that might just work.

If there is lightning then you'll get more usable nitrogen(nitrates) come down in the rain

The electrical charge causes nitrogen and hydrogen to form ammonium nitrate... :)

Also dust is carried into the atmosphere and is returned with the rainfall.

Back