• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What is this stuff called (acts like a mulch)

This is from lee's grow thread. I know I saw the name of this product yesterday but I can't seem to locate it now. It's the orange stuff that looks like cat food on the top.

img5403qc8.jpg

I hope this is the right place to ask :) I plan on using the rockwool cubes for germination then transplant to pots like lee has done on his thread.

I would like to either order some of this stuff or find something locally. I have been using hardwood mulch but I'm starting not to like the stuff... it seems to harden after watering/rain.

Not sure, but I just bought a bag of hardwood mulch so if it's not good I'll probably take it back. It's the same color and at $3.00 a bag for 50lb I just bought it on a whim. What is the advantage of the stuff in the picture?

The hardwood stuff I have is black... maybe I need to try some other mulch or something. I'm not really sure of the benefits of this stuff... i just wanted to try it out.

I'm just trying to find something that I know is going to work so I can more on to other concerns :D

From the pic, looks like it could be chunks of coco coir. I've never grown indoor peppers but have lots of experience with indoor growing in general and have never put anything on top of my rockwool in hydro systems in which I used rockwool.

They are bits of fired clay and the idea is similar to hydroton pepples sold by dutch retailer and picture by a dutch friend i think..LEE i think hes called :lol:

talas said:
They are bits of fired clay and the idea is similar to hydroton pepples sold by dutch retailer and picture by a dutch friend i think..LEE i think hes called :lol:
Don't you yell at me!

I think it is called Seramis, and I have no idea where to buy it. Hydroton is probably the same base material, but formed into spheres. A company called Sunleaves makes somthing called Rocks or Grow Rocks that may be similar, but I've never seen it. I sure like the look of Seramis though and wish it was widely available.

Wouldn't it have been easier to just send Lee a PM and ask him? You know a "straight to the source" kind of thing.

patrick said:
Wouldn't it have been easier to just send Lee a PM and ask him? You know a "straight to the source" kind of thing.

Probably, but the rest of us wouldn't have been able to read and see the answer so I'm actually glad he posted the question for everyone to revievw.

Back