• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite What is your favorite Baccatum Chili and why?

My favorite Baccatum is definitely aji amarillo. It has a great sweet flavor, and just enough heat to cook dishes with without them being too spicy for non chile heads. I cook a ton of Peruvian food, and aji amarillo is a key ingredient in most dishes in Peru. I don't know what I would do if I couldn't eat some delicious papa a la huancaina or aji de gallina. I also make a good pasta de aji amarillo, which is a fresh paste that I can leave in my fridge to add spoonfuls to dishes.

I do like the aji lemon drop/limon/lemon/pineapple as well, which honestly all taste exactly the same to me. I use them mainly fresh in place of jalapenos in recipes, or dried, and applied as a rub on chicken and fish dishes.

The aji Cito is good, plus a little hotter than the most of the rest of the baccatums that I've tried. The aji verde, which is actually a red pepper when ripe is a tasty Baccatum, but the pods take forever to ripen, which is really annoying sometimes.

Well, I think I'm back to Cap 267.  ;)

With the cooler weather I can leave the pods on the plant well into the 'red' phase w/o them shriveling away.
The extra time helps the flavor immensely!  These things are simply superb!
The heat remains an issue.  For a baccatum, they are quite zippy. I have to slow down and nibble once I reach the seeds...  (Wimpy, I know..)

The pods are 3~4 inches and the bush is going fairly well.  Definitely one to overwinter and transplant into a bigger home next spring!

IMG_6029s.jpg

I think baccatums may soon become my most favourite chili species. I had never grown or tasted them before but this year at a local chili fest I had the chance to try some and they were delicious! Even my wife said she liked the aji pineapple while she doesn't even like hot chilies! :) The bishops crown was great also!

So I decided to grow baccatums only this year! (well... almost...)

I think I will soon run out of space though, with a list like this and the very limited room I have available...
- Aji Pineapple
- Aji Fantasy
- Aji Rojo
- Bishops Crown
- Sili-a-top
- Aji Rainforest
- Aji Omnicolor
- CAP 1475
- Queen Laurie
- Aji Cito

I sowed my seeds for the 2017 season last sunday and after less than a week the first one germinated, a queen laurie. I'm really exited about the chilies I will get! Still many months to go...

Pr0digal_son said:

If it helps someone look around and get off of the superhot train then I feel like I have accomplished something. Thanks.

I love growing chinenses but just for the ornamental value. I love the look of the plants and the pods but I hate chinense taste... :rolleyes:

Has anyone grown Aji Pacae? I have seeds for it this season and it is the only chili that I am interested in growing presently.

From what I have been told,it is one of the longest season Capsicum out there. There are 4 guys that I have talked to that say it is by far the longest they have grown. These guys have grown 1000s upon 10000s of varieties.

Does anyone have any experience with this one?

MarcV said:

I love growing chinenses but just for the ornamental value. I love the look of the plants and the pods but I hate chinense taste... :rolleyes:

The diversity in C.chinense is second to no other species. I love growing landrace varieties. I don't enjoy growing brown super x brown super and having pods that look like exactly like 100 other brown supers. And then someone saying how distinct the heat and flavor profile is.

if Aji Pacae=Aji Pacay, then Dale (Thegreenchilemonster) is who you should talk to. He grew them last year and has been spreading the seeds around a bit in the last couple months. 

is it like a giant Aji Amarillo? 
google didn't give me much...

Pr0digal_son said:
Tried one called Chualluaruro this season. Very similar to Omnicolour. Damn tasty and productive.

30900543273_f3c97e7c83_b.jpg

John, where did you find this?  Google knows nothing - doesn't even show this page!  Might there be a different spelling?

I've always been most fond of C. baccatums - my list of favorites would be dominated by them.  I'm looking forward to growing some new ones this year, especially Dong Xaun Market, along with some of my must-have baccs.

cone9 said:

John, where did you find this?  Google knows nothing - doesn't even show this page!  Might there be a different spelling?

I've always been most fond of C. baccatums - my list of favorites would be dominated by them.  I'm looking forward to growing some new ones this year, especially Dong Xaun Market, along with some of my must-have baccs.

I edited my original post. It is spelled challuaruro. Hopefully that will help with your search.

I'm fairly certain the challuaruro is the same as omnicolor...whoever collected the "omnicolor" and brought it to North America or Europe, decided to give it an English name or in a sense rename it, kind of like the Lemon Drop and many others. Very unfortunate that such things happened in my opinion. Whenever I travel abroad I ask what the local name of the pepper(s) is, and keep that name....seems kind of arrogant to me, to collect a pepper in a foreign land, then claim to have "discovered" it and give it a new name...sorry to hijack the thread lol

I may have answered this thread long time back, but I still say, Aji Amarillo, then Aji Cristal, and then maybe Aji "Omnicolor"

Indiana_Jesse said:
I'm fairly certain the challuaruro is the same as omnicolor...whoever collected the "omnicolor" and brought it to North America or Europe, decided to give it an English name or in a sense rename it, kind of like the Lemon Drop and many others. Very unfortunate that such things happened in my opinion. Whenever I travel abroad I ask what the local name of the pepper(s) is, and keep that name....seems kind of arrogant to me, to collect a pepper in a foreign land, then claim to have "discovered" it and give it a new name...sorry to hijack the thread lol

I may have answered this thread long time back, but I still say, Aji Amarillo, then Aji Cristal, and then maybe Aji "Omnicolor"

I couldn't see any difference in the two,and have grown omnicolor 4 or 5 times.  The two other people I talked to both thought there were some slight differences in the two when it came to flavor. I personally cannot detect the subtle differences that I hear other people talk about,especially when we are talking years apart from growing,think it is silly really. Amarillo and omnicolor,yes,I can clearly tell them apart,and differences in the flavor of omnicolor through ripening stages,but between challuaruro and omnicolor,not a chance.

I agree with you that it is good practice to use local names. The only problem I see with that is that you get a lot of generic names like cumari,boonie,etc.  I understand the renaming,and people like to have as many varieties as they can in their stock,like some sort of badge. I prefer to know the original history and names though.  Atleast with baccatums it hasn't gotten to "satan's  naga x  napalm death F2". We can take comfort in that.

Back