• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

favorite What is YOUR Favorite Tomato for taste?

What's your favorite Tomato??

• Total voters
Stupice, because it's reliable and ripens first -

Cowlicks or J.D.'s Special C-Tex for slicing

Yellow Pear for snacking

Aunt Ginny's Purple for my ultimate sandwich slicer. It's been months, but I can still remember the taste. Unfortunately it's a bit too long season for me so I don't get many, but I'm considering heating a low tunnel next year to get some maters out earlier in the season.

Polish Linquisa for sauce.

Several different blacks are my favorites for general eating, although I do like a rainbow of colors.

I can't believe you didn't put Romas on the list. Aren't there any sauce makers on here? Romas are excellent for sauce, whether Italian or Mexican. I do want to try the San Marzanos, though. I have never grown them, or had any that I am aware of. Italians swear by them, though.
I agree! Nothing like some good romas even though their most prominent use is sauce. But if the sauce is made correctly, you can drink it and thats more than you can say for most other tomato strains.

Romas. Yum yum yummy yum. I think it's technically the "Roma VF"?

Love me some Romas.

I also have a major thing for grape tomatoes - I have a pal who says he hates fresh tomatoes...I made a salad for a party and he was chowing it down, turns to me and says, "what a great idea to put grapes in a salad!" - I waited until he'd finished to tell him he just ate about 15 raw tomatoes. :whistle:

I found Martino's Roma to be a lot more flavorful then regular romas which to me are great for sauces but kind of bland to eat fresh. My favorite sauce tomato will probably always be opalka, and they're great fresh or on a sandwich too. Most of my favorites for taste alone are the Ox heart types but they aren't usually great producers for me. This year I'm focusing heavily on "Mule team" which is a great tasting, excellent producer of disease resistant, blemish resistant, medium to large sized, round, red, meaty, heirloom tomatoes

Back