• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What peppers would you grow?

You can have a total of 8 plants, and five of those have to be a jalapeno, habenero, bell, banana and 7-pod. What other three would you include? This is for show more than anything, but I need to have (or hope to have) ripe pods by the middle of August. That may be hard for the 7-pod but they are already in 3" containers.

Pequin? Tepin? Tabasco? Hot Wax? Long cayenne? Something else? This is all about style, nothing about substance (not my cup of tea, but...) Think of trying to go to a bar and hook up with the best looking person there - but you have no interest in taking them home - you just want people to be impressed with your selection!

Mike

Trinidad Scorpion or Fatalli for cool looking plants and fruit. For variety, a Thai Chili would be good. A regular Thai, or an Orange would look nice. There's many cool looking Cayennes like Messilla hybrid or Maule's Red Hot. I don't grow ornamental, but that opens up a ton of options. Or a Pasilla like the Hole Mole... So hard to suggest just a few. Tabasco is popular. Maybe a Yellow Scorpion. Then there's the Santa Fe Grande or Fresno. Maybe a chocolate...

how about Chocolate bhut, NuMex BigJim, and Peter Pepper. Then you can say you have the 'hottest' pepper (in a color most aren't familiar with), the horniest pepper (if they grow true to form), and the largest pepper (at least I think this is the largest hot pepper??).

I have the following seeds, which makes life easier (though some are a couple of years old):

Holy Mole
Choc Hab (Thanks, AJ)
Messila
Pasilla Bajio
Thai Denchai
Pepperonochi
Jamaican Hot Choc
Tabasco
and a couple dozen others!

Tonight I sowed the jalapenos, Red Habs, Long Cayennes, Pequin, Tepin and Hungarian Hot Wax - just in case!

Mike

If I remember correctly the Fish Pepper I grew last year had ripe peppers pretty quickly, plenty by August. It's a really interesting looking plant. I checked out Thai Denchai, have you grown that before? Sounds great for cooking.

I'd chose a Black Pearl or a Black Cuban as one of the three if it's about style.

Thos plants look amazing when fully grown, and the pods are really striking. :)

I am growing Prairie Fire, Choc Habanero and Medusa peppers. The Medusa is quite pretty when the peppers are in full force, this is not mine, but I hope mine turn out like this...
MedusaPepper.jpg

Mike...hope its not too late...I would grow a ristra cayenne...they are very long cayennes...some up to 10"...typical cayenne taste and heat and great for making ristras out of...here is a not so good pic...

020510a004.jpg

another cayenne you can grow that is impressive is the "Mesilla" cayenne...large heavy cayenne pods...up to 6-8 inches long and about 3/4" at the sholders...

you should definitely get ripe pods by the time you need them...

good choices everyone...but you have to remember, if he has not started the seeds yet, he may not have ripe pods in the middle of August...who knows, maybe he will, but down here, if I don't get ripe chinense pods by the middle of July...there won't be many until the heat goes away in September...

AlabamaJack said:
good choices everyone...but you have to remember, if he has not started the seeds yet, he may not have ripe pods in the middle of August...who knows, maybe he will, but down here, if I don't get ripe chinense pods by the middle of July...there won't be many until the heat goes away in September...

You're killing me AJ! down here in Oz, we're past the middle of our season... I keep telling myself, "there's still time to plant some more......"

:lol:

Don't worry bout me, I'm :crazy:

Like AJ, I'd go with a large cayenne type for show, maybe whippet's tail(Joe's long, Pinnoccio's nose), or even maybe a chilli chile hybrid

I've also got a few Black Pearl and Prairie Fire seeds. I'll probably start another 5-6 varieties this evening and then pick the best looking plants in May.

Thanks for the suggestions - who knows, I might have room for three rows!

Mike

Mike, how about a black or purple foliage one? Since it doesn't matter what kind, the contrast in foliage would be awesome in the container. That would really make it stand out plus let people see that all pepper foliage is not green. One of those and the fish pepper would give you a nice presentation foliage wise. Usually black or purple plants get bright red peppers when they mature...quite flashy and would catch the attention of people passing by. JMO.

How about Bishops Crown? Odd shape makes for interesting conversation.
They are C.Baccatuum so should be fine by the middle of August.

If it's for show the Black Pearl will fill the bill. Here's a pic I took on 6-20-09 last year.
BlackPearl6-20-09.jpg

A couple of ornamentals I'm trying this year are Bellingrath Gardens and Purple Flash.

Back