• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

what the.... D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I vote burn the critter with FIRE!

Rats and mices in suberban areas are not mother natures little rodents anymore. They are evil little stink bombs of plague. I'm all for saving most animals like snakes and spiders, but mice and rats.....
:flamethrower: :woohoo:

yeaah man.. I know what you mean.
Today I talked to a lady who used to own a nursery, and she said that they got infested with rats/mice once, and they said they only went for their chili plants too .__.
so I guess they like pepper leaves?

I really hope no one here is advocating burning any animal alive. Why would you?

Here's the thing, from my perspective - based upon my fingernail grasp of evolutionary biology, other mammals share enough of our neurological structure that their experiences of pain, hunger, terror and other basic biological responses are similar to ours. Now, I don't mean to suggest that a rat with one leg in a trap is cogitating and worrying about his future without a leg; all he knows is that he's trapped, in pain, and terrorized. Well, since I have experienced pain and terror myself, it's not much of a stretch to empathize with the rat, to the degree that I can apprehend at least something of what he is feeling.

Will that stay my hand, when it's time to kill him? No, it won't. But it does mean that I'll prefer the fastest and hopefully least painful and terrorizing way to kill him, because I have some idea what suffering is, and I believe that he can experience it to a degree that I can recognize, and it impresses me as amoral (or unethical, whichever you prefer) to maximize suffering when I have nothing to lose, by minimizing it instead.

And as for the horrifically cruel things kids do, to animals - I'm probably as guilty of that, as anybody. I shudder to think how many small creatures met awful ends at my hands, by the time I hit ten or twelve and started to realize what a shit I'd been for needlessly doing terrible things to them.

To the OP, I hope you catch the culprit and end your problem but please don't leave it to starve as that is cruel. Please don't do anything overly cruel or mean as it cannot really help what it is. It's understandable you want it dead, but don't torture it. Thank you. :)

i was going to spray my plants with insecticide soap, but then felt bad when i saw the aphids crying...

now i feed my aphids jalapeño plants and hope they leave my super hots alone...

problem solved...

I really hope no one here is advocating burning any animal alive. Why would you?

Here's the thing, from my perspective - based upon my fingernail grasp of evolutionary biology, other mammals share enough of our neurological structure that their experiences of pain, hunger, terror and other basic biological responses are similar to ours. Now, I don't mean to suggest that a rat with one leg in a trap is cogitating and worrying about his future without a leg; all he knows is that he's trapped, in pain, and terrorized. Well, since I have experienced pain and terror myself, it's not much of a stretch to empathize with the rat, to the degree that I can apprehend at least something of what he is feeling.

Will that stay my hand, when it's time to kill him? No, it won't. But it does mean that I'll prefer the fastest and hopefully least painful and terrorizing way to kill him, because I have some idea what suffering is, and I believe that he can experience it to a degree that I can recognize, and it impresses me as amoral (or unethical, whichever you prefer) to maximize suffering when I have nothing to lose, by minimizing it instead.

And as for the horrifically cruel things kids do, to animals - I'm probably as guilty of that, as anybody. I shudder to think how many small creatures met awful ends at my hands, by the time I hit ten or twelve and started to realize what a shit I'd been for needlessly doing terrible things to them.

To the OP, I hope you catch the culprit and end your problem but please don't leave it to starve as that is cruel. Please don't do anything overly cruel or mean as it cannot really help what it is. It's understandable you want it dead, but don't torture it. Thank you. :)
Let's see if the site admin finds your IP address to coincidentally be in the same range or even the same IP as another, certain someone.

I do that sort of stuff, several times every day for other 'sites.

Short version: Kill it. Do not pretend there's some idealized way, some heart felt nonsense associated. Whether it's a sticky trap, a flame thrower, or throwing stones at it, use the most efficient method available to kill them all... but above all else, be reasonable, the less work you do to achieve that the better.

i was going to spray my plants with insecticide soap, but then felt bad when i saw the aphids crying...

now i feed my aphids jalapeño plants and hope they leave my super hots alone...

problem solved...

LOL, how do you direct them forward one plant?

Let's see if the site admin finds your IP address to coincidentally be in the same range or even the same IP as another, certain someone.

I do that sort of stuff, several times every day for other 'sites.

Short version: Kill it. Do not pretend there's some idealized way, some heart felt nonsense associated. Whether it's a sticky trap, a flame thrower, or throwing stones at it, use the most efficient method available to kill them all... but above all else, be reasonable, the less work you do to achieve that the better.

LOL

& yeaah exactly..

Hi guys, a friend of mine sent me this discussion (not saying who) so I thought I'd say my 2c worth on the matter.

<p>
Short version:&nbsp;&nbsp;Kill it. Do not pretend there&#39;s some idealized way, some heart felt nonsense associated.&nbsp;&nbsp;Whether it&#39;s a sticky trap, a flame thrower, or throwing stones at it, use the most efficient method available&nbsp;&nbsp;to kill them all... but above all else, be reasonable, the less work you do to achieve that the better.<br />

Of course there's an idealized way. If you have to kill it, do so relatively quickly. As Wulf already mentioned, get some empathy. Perhaps you'd like to tell us what's so reasonable about inducing more pain than necessary towards the animal? Maybe you're some kind of sociopath who thinks it's acceptable to show a level of cruelty that a reasonable person would shake their head at, I don't know. But your attitude sucks. It's a living creature, not an inanimate object. Kill it with some dignity and humanity. No one's telling you to give it a state funeral.

I'm a bit disturbed that some of you would actually want to torture a mouse. Does it not matter to you at all that the little critter can actually suffer? Why on earth would you want to do that? Someone here even suggested burning it alive. That's sick and completely inappropriate. You might want to get rid of it for whatever reason, but it's completely inappropriate to do some of the stuff that's mentioned here. Get a damn heart please.

It doesn&#39;t look like anybody in this thread is interested in a rational discussion, but is it so rare to live your life with a little bit of empathy?<br />

Exactly. Quite a few psychopaths on here it seems. I think you can tell a lot about a person with how he treats animals. I'd be pretty concerned about a person if they burn mice alive, for example, and throw out the excuse that it's "efficient". When you think about it, it's not really about the mouse, it's about the person doing the act. It's established that people who torture and are cruel to animals tend to have violent personalities, and can potentially move onto human beings. It's not a 100% precursor, but cruelty to animals in such a fashion is questionable.

So Dave2000, perhaps you'd like to tell us why it's OK to burn a mouse alive rather than just a brick or something and just crush its head so you put it out of its misery? You seem to be saying that it doesn't matter how one kills an animal, as long as it's efficient. Sorry, but I disagree. Such scant disrespect is quite disturbing, and it's not exactly hard to find a kinder/more humane way to kill a mouse. I think that if you'd want to torture a little mouse to death, you have serious problems.

and what's reasonable about making another animal suffer, you heartless, sociopathic fuckwit? ohh what? sticking needles into it and slowly cutting its toes off wouldn't matter if it was efficient? what the fucks wrong with you?? jump off a cliff you asshole

/an/, represent.

[quote name=DudeThtsBad]
I would probably just free if, if I could unstick it with a stick, if it's too stuck on to the trap, then I'd let it starve..
Just being honest.
[/quote]
Why would you leave it on there to starve it to death? That's a little mean. Just kill it. And even if you don't care if it suffers, leaving it alive on the trap will only mean that it might escape and make an even bigger mess.
But I guess your stonecold, black heart didn't take that into consideration hmm? Or maybe you're just a fucking pussy for not being able to do the right thing and euthanise it correctly? You shouldn't be using glue traps if you can't finish the job yourself. It's cruel just to leave it on there.

Are people really discussing whether it's wrong to torture animals? Seriously? Seems like many of you have fried your brains from eating too many peppers. Dave2000, you are looking incredibly heartless and stupid the more times you post about the subject. Trapping an animal then deciding to starve it is disgusting, what kind of idiot does something horrible like that? Sure it might just be a mouse but it can still suffer. That that into consideration, you dickhead. Also take a real good look at yourself too, because there's definitely something wrong with you if you think torturing a living creature to death is acceptable. What does it accomplish? It's pointless, a waste of energy and time, and it's sadistic. Or are you going to come up with another shit-eating post trying to justify it, and how other people who have concern for other animals only care about animals?

I care about cruelty in general, whether against animals or humans. It's all bad. And even if we prioritise, that doesn't give you the right to be a complete fuckwit with questionable morals. Yes, I went there. Keep on fighting the good fight, /an/, idiots like Dave2000 deserve to get blasted for being such a heartless douche. And as for the OP... there are better ways. What the f**k would you starve an animal to death for? I wonder how many people on this site actually support such a 'method'. Animal abusers don't deserve much leeway. Killing a mouse isn't animal abuse, but torturing it is. There's a big difference. Why the f**k would you want to torture a mouse, and condone such behaviour? It's disgusting and reflective of the person doing it.

So the people who tell the little boy to grow some balls and bash the rats head in are the hippies?

A flame thrower is more effective at killing a mouse than a brick to the head?

Fantastic logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back