• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

What to do with my Tabascos?

So I have two decent sized Tabasco plants full of ripe peppers that I'll be harvesting any time now. However, I really don't know what to do with them. Can I make a tabasco sauce easily? Send all your suggestions/recipes this way!

Pepperfreak said:
Sauce would be good, but I am no help in that area. Might I suggest drying them and making powder...Tobasco Powder is so good!

moyboy said:
You can make a sauce easy as but you need to know what style of sauce you are after??

And as PF stated, tabasco powder is the bomb!!!

Seconded! One of the best powders ever tastewise!

Simplest is tobasco vinager.Ingredents are 5% white vinagar from the grocery and your hot pepers in a jar. You just stuff a jar with the peppers (after you wash them) and add viniger to cover (within half inch of top) if you want it to last longer time it can be canned. (depending on the pepper you can water bath can most peppers.) Makes the hot pepper vin that is so pop in tex mex cooking.

Also if you plan on using quickly just put a jar in the fridge.

About 3 years ago I started growing Tabascos and had a pretty good harvest. I put them in a large glass container (about 2 quarts) and covered them with white vinegar, added a couple of teaspoons of salt (more or less depending on your taste), covered it and let it sit in the pantry. After a couple of weeks I mashed the peppers down and added more from my crop. I'm now on my third year and crop and I just keep adding the new peppers to the mash and more vinegar and salt and haven't had to buy Tabasco Sauce in three years. Tastes great and everybody loves it.

About 3 years ago I started growing Tabascos and had a pretty good harvest. I put them in a large glass container (about 2 quarts) and covered them with white vinegar, added a couple of teaspoons of salt (more or less depending on your taste), covered it and let it sit in the pantry. After a couple of weeks I mashed the peppers down and added more from my crop. I'm now on my third year and crop and I just keep adding the new peppers to the mash and more vinegar and salt and haven't had to buy Tabasco Sauce in three years. Tastes great and everybody loves it.
Paul1dad:
Do you stir the mash each time you add additional peppers?..or just add them to the liquid?
I would like to hear more..and maybe see some pictures if you have any.
I'm really interested in the fermenting process (for hot peppers)and learning from the experience of what others have tried. Both success stories and even the not so successful ones.
Thanks..
CM

pickle them with garlic cloves,fresh purple onion and sea salt
i did that with my PIRI PIRI and they came out great!!

i ate them with food and if you want, throw them in the blender and "VIOLA" you got sauce!!

i let mine sit after pickling for three months before using them

hope this helps

thanks your friend joe

+ 1 Silver_Kate

That is what I do ..Makes a Great! Tabasco Sauce..Get a little low, Just add more pepper or vinegar..(depends on how thick you want your sauce) Sauce yr round.

added: Every now and then I shake them up or kinda mash them around in the jar.

pickle them with some onion,garlic let them go for about 4 month,then after that time either eat them the way they are or throw them in the blender on liquify and make a tasty table sauce

thanks your friend Joe

Back