• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

What tomatoes are you growing? 2015

Stupice and Petit Moineau seeds in the mail for me :woohoo: . Both produce alot and early, Petit Moineau is a cherry tomato plant that will reach 2 meters and produce almost 10 pounds per year. Very tasty/sweet and fruits are the size of a big blueberry.

I will receive extra seeds of Doe Hill pepper. Alot of new things in my garden for 2015 :dance:

We have a Saturday morning gardening radio program out of Columbus.
They keep hyping a tomato called Kellogg breakfast tomato as the best.

Bought some seeds and going to try them.

Big Cheef
SunSugar
Spudakee
Carbon
Carbon Copy
Juliet
Danko
Eva Purple Ball
Dancing with Smurfs
Persimmon
Texwine large Red

I'm going to do just 40-50 plants this year. If I can control my self.

Jersey Devil  -  late but highly productive sauce tomato last year. I'll do about 14 plants
San Marzano - a few different types other than the Lungo #2 for trial. Hard to beat this flavor once cooked.
Yellow Brandywine - not a heavy producer, but fruits are med-large, meaty and delicious
Piennola del Vesuvio - a long keeper sauce. Haven't figured it out yet but I'll keep trying
Black Vernissage - a beautiful black salad tomato, vigorous and on the early side, but early blight was really hard on it last year.
Black Krim - a big slicer. Totally lived up to it's rep. 
Bonny Best - Med -slicer good all-around mater
Juane Flamee - pretty little yellow meaty tomato.
Green Zebra - All my greens did great last year, really out performed the other colors. This one is a small firm slicer with an extra zing in the flavor. And pretty.

New trials for 2015

Pink Brandywine (Suddith strain) -  This and Cowlick are suppose to be the best of the Brandys.
Kosovo - I grew this large heart 2 years ago -the bad mater year. I thought it had potential but lost my seed last year.
Antique Roman - A long, sauce tomato with good flavor fresh.
Absinthe - a green slicer with a cool name.

...and a couple of saucers TBD

I have always grown creole and romas, but this year I wan't to change it up a little so I will be trying san Marzano, oragne currant and a barnes mountain orange.

Love making homemade pizza so I think I will really enjoy the san marzano's

I never even heard of 80% these tomatoes. But then again i'm not a mater guy. What I am growing for sure though are Pineapple ground cherries that I saved seeds from last fall. Tried one that my dad got at a farmers market and they did taste just like pineapple. I planted the seeds a few days ago hope they pop.

Other than that i'm just buying some Tomatillos for my salsa verde and probably beefsteak for my wifey from the nursery. 

[SIZE=8pt]Tomatoes:[/SIZE]
  1. [SIZE=8pt]Aunt Ruby's German Green [/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=8pt]Berkeley Tie-Dye Green[/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=8pt]Berkeley Tie-Dye Pink[/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=8pt]Better Boy[/SIZE]
  5. [SIZE=8pt]Big Brandy[/SIZE]
  6. [SIZE=8pt]Big Bunch[/SIZE]
  7. [SIZE=8pt]Black From Tula [/SIZE]
  8. [SIZE=8pt]Brandywine Pink[/SIZE]
  9. [SIZE=8pt]Brandywine Yellow[/SIZE]
  10. [SIZE=8pt]Cherokee Purple [/SIZE]
  11. [SIZE=8pt]German Johnson[/SIZE]
  12. [SIZE=8pt]Giant Oxheart [/SIZE]
  13. [SIZE=8pt]Grandma's Pick[/SIZE]
  14. [SIZE=8pt]Hillbilly[/SIZE]
  15. [SIZE=8pt]Indigo Apple[/SIZE]
  16. [SIZE=8pt]Indigo Blue Beauty[/SIZE]
  17. [SIZE=8pt]Jasper Cherry[/SIZE]
  18. [SIZE=8pt]Mortgage Lifter[/SIZE]
  19. [SIZE=8pt]Mule team[/SIZE]
  20. [SIZE=8pt]Park's Whopper[/SIZE]
  21. [SIZE=8pt]Paul Robeson[/SIZE]
  22. [SIZE=8pt]Pineapple [/SIZE]
  23. [SIZE=8pt]Pink Girl [/SIZE]
  24. [SIZE=8pt]Rutgars CS Space Select[/SIZE]
  25. [SIZE=8pt]Willamette VF[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]My personal all-time favorites are Pink Girl, Pineapple, and Cherokee Purple.[/SIZE]

Last year I bought 2 plants of Better Boy Hybrid tomato from a nursery and after the first fruit set I pruned and clones all the cuttings, and then cloned the clones and so forth.  Cloning tomatoes has to be the easiest plant to clone and can have the plant back outside in 1 week after being cut.  I had well over 50 offspring from the original 2 mater plants by the end of the season with new starts happening all the time.  Usually my tomato plants run their course and decline in health by mid summer but by having new tomato starts I had fresh tomatoes up until frost.  Just an idea don't know what tomato varieties I will find yet at the nursery but will look for some of the suggestions found here.  I'm with you Jamison always enjoyed growing lots of paste maters like the Roma when I would grow from seed.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Last year I bought 2 plants of Better Boy Hybrid tomato from a nursery and after the first fruit set I pruned and clones all the cuttings, and then cloned the clones and so forth.  Cloning tomatoes has to be the easiest plant to clone and can have the plant back outside in 1 week after being cut.  I had well over 50 offspring from the original 2 mater plants by the end of the season with new starts happening all the time.  Usually my tomato plants run their course and decline in health by mid summer but by having new tomato starts I had fresh tomatoes up until frost.  Just an idea don't know what tomato varieties I will find yet at the nursery but will look for some of the suggestions found here.  I'm with you Jamison always enjoyed growing lots of paste maters like the Roma when I would grow from seed.

Great suggestion Cappy! sounds like a good way to to get a rolling supply of the determinate varieties.

When you sucker off your indeterminate varieties they make awesome clones as well hogleg.  I usually do a couple just for back ups.  

Going to be a experimental year for me.  I have loads of tomatoes already canned, so this year I am going to grow these to see what I like for fresh eating.  So many different kinds, but I have to start someplace.  The first 5 strains, I got in a seed train. They were donated by Fiogga

Carbon Copy
Holyland
Mortgagelifter
Flavor steak
Chocolate Stripes
Black Krim
Paul Robeson
Tasty Evergreen
Gold Medal
Cherokee Purple
Brandywine (Sudduths Strain)

Ciao all-

I got Craig LeHoullier's book, Epic Tomatoes, for Christmas.  He's inspired me to dig through the binders and pull out those TRUE heirlooms, the old ones, the ones that our parents and grandparents grew.  I haven't come up with a list yet, but I'm going to start with the Livingston and Ben Quisenbury ones and go from there.  Having said that, I always need a few rows of prolific pastes with excellent flavour.  They don't need that excellent flavour off the vine, it's more of a sauce machine.  I'm not the pepper grower, my husband is, but growing tomatoes for me is a real passion.  For any of you salsa canners out there, I'd say one of the very best meaty tomato types that stand up to blanching and dicing would be just about any of the oxhearts.  German Red Strawberry, Kosovo, Rief Red Heart, Canadian Heart..few seeds, dense flesh which is what I look for in a diced product that won't fall apart on canning.

bpwilly, you've got some nice ones there.  It appears you like the black types.  Large Barred Boar from Wild Boar Farms is another good one, so is Black From Tula, both bigger than Black Krim, excellent in a BLT.  Seattle may be a bit of a challenge to get those big ones to really sugar up, but if you get that Brandywine Sudduth to do its thing, you're in for a treat!  One of my all-time favourites.

Sorellina, Thanks for the heads up.  I am a rookie when it comes to knowing much about tomatoes.  I normally focus on peppers, but have so darn many in the freezer.  I am looking forward to the black tomatoes.  Last year I grew some chocolate cherry, but was not thrilled with the taste.

This is what I plan on growing.  Some of the cherries will be in very large pots.

Russian 117
Fish Lake Oxheart
Mediterranean
Livingston's Giant Oxheart
Bull's Heart
Paul Robeson
George Detsikas Italian Red
Costoluto Florentino
Mortgage Lifter Estlers Strain

Cherries:
Magyar Piroska
Sungold
Ambrosia Gold
Sweet Quartz Hybrid
Black Cherry
Cherry Roma
and a undecided blue.

Sorellina said:

I got Craig LeHoullier's book, Epic Tomatoes, for Christmas.

Hello Julianna; its been a while!

So, what did you think of Craig's book? I ran into him at a SSE meeting last year and he told me he was almost done with it. I didn't realize it was already in print!

And, no "tomato for pepper" seed swaps this year, lol?

Back