• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

What tomatoes are you growing? 2015

ADAH'S POTATO LEAF

BERKELY TIE DYE

BIG CHEEF

BUFFALO SOLDIER

CHEROKEE PURPLE

HILLBILLY

HOLY LAND

INDIGO ROSE

OFF YELLOW

PINEAPPLE

SPUDAKEE

STRIPED ROMA

TEXWINE

VORLAN

YELLOW

YELLOW PEAR ROMA

ZAMBINI'S TREASURE

DownRiver, hey, good to see you! Oh I'd love to get together a pepper for tomato trade with you.  Duane still uses your seeds with good germination, you should be happy to know!  Craig's been holding out on us.  He's really got some talent with the pen.  I found his book eminently readable and hard to put down.  Thankfully for me, having gotten it for Christmas, that's about the most down time I ever get in my year, so I was able to start it and finish it in the space of a week.  His background is chemistry, so we really do share a brain in how our brains organize things.  There's a list in back of different varieties with brix ratings for each so you can tailor your choices based on how sweet or intense you like your tomatoes.  That was brilliant, I thought.  I think you'll enjoy it.  Just fabulous you got a chance to meet him.  I'd love to take that trip down south some day myself!

As far as black cherries go, yeah Chocolate Cherry for me was also a disappointment.  I do like the flavour of Black Cherry, but for me, the skins are a bit tough and it distracts from the flavour sensation.  My favourite small black tomato is Wild Boar Farms Haley's Purple Comet.  Brad Gates is not only a brilliant breeder of all tomatoes striped, but it's not just for the sake of the stripe, the tomatoes he releases for you and me have excellent flavour.  My mind boggles at all the crosses that we never even heard about that he felt were not fit for release.

I told my Girl friend about this thread. She really likes tomatoes (I don't really unless it's salsa). Normally I grow a few tomatillos for salsa verde and beefsteaks for her. After hearing about all the fancy kinds you all was growing she asked if I could grow a special one for her. Problem is I don't have a clue what any of these taste or texture are like. Most my garden space is going to be for peppers so I prefer not growing out a bunch of tomatoes that might not even taste good. 

I already started some Pineapple ground cherries so I think that has us covered on the tiny tomato range. 

She likes BLTs and eating them sliced with a little salt and pepper on them. So something that is a little meaty and sliceable but maybe versatile enough to be used in a salsa if desired.

Can you guys give me some suggestions to start with and I can narrow it down from there with googling info on them? I would greatly appreciate the input. 

I don't recognize most these crazy tomato varieties! Maybe I need to learn more.
For now, I'm sticking to Early Girl, Super 100, Roma, and a new one called Sarah Black.

D3monic said:
I told my Girl friend about this thread. She really likes tomatoes (I don't really unless it's salsa). Normally I grow a few tomatillos for salsa verde and beefsteaks for her. After hearing about all the fancy kinds you all was growing she asked if I could grow a special one for her. Problem is I don't have a clue what any of these taste or texture are like. Most my garden space is going to be for peppers so I prefer not growing out a bunch of tomatoes that might not even taste good. 

I already started some Pineapple ground cherries so I think that has us covered on the tiny tomato range. 

She likes BLTs and eating them sliced with a little salt and pepper on them. So something that is a little meaty and sliceable but maybe versatile enough to be used in a salsa if desired.

Can you guys give me some suggestions to start with and I can narrow it down from there with googling info on them? I would greatly appreciate the input. 

Searching online so far I like the sound of White Tomesol and Dixie Golden Giant though the size has me a bit leery about splitting. 

D3monic said:

You can never go wrong with Purple Cherokee

Last year I found a tomato called Goat Bag that the Amish around here sell. I believe its probably got another name but thats what they call it. I saved the seeds from one on a paper towel and 15/15 came up. I also planted some Jersey Devils since they seemed to be very similar to the Goat Bag in the description from the seed catalog. I make a ton of salsa to can and I have found that using a meatier paste tomato works out best and the finished salsa is not watery. I'll probably also plant some Mountain Fresh plants in the garden when the time comes.

Scoville DeVille said:
If CJ doesn't grow those Yellow Pear (teardrops I think) tomatoes, again, I will either:
A: call a lawyer.
B: load my gun

or

3: grow them my damm self.

Maybe I'll just ask her nicely like I do every year.
:)
Are these it?

www.rareseeds.com/yellow-pear/

D3monic, in Illinois, you should be the same zone as me, 5a or 5b so any of the Brandywines should do nicely for amazing BLTs.  I would not use them for salsa - try instead varieties that are described as "paste" tomatoes with few seeds and very little juice.  Tomatoes such as those are designed for cooking without falling apart or requiring long cooking times to reduce water content. Both San Marzano and Roma are very standard paste varieties so they should be easy for you to source.

Withywindle72 is right about Cherokee Purple (for BLTs).  It's also another excellent fresh-use tomato for slicing and sandwiches, somewhat smaller than most Brandywines.

Hottoddy, I grew Sarah Black last year and while it was one that I had to scurry around frantically at the 11th hour to find a suitable spot, it really out-performed itself - a lovely large purple tomato with excellent flavour.  Remember, last season was sub-par for both tomatoes and peppers - lots of rain, cold spring after hideous winter.

Scoville DeVille, if you EVER need seeds for Yellow Pear, send me a message.  I've got about a billion seeds and I don't care for that variety, not even a tiny bit.  If you like cute little yellow cherries, you might try Yellow Submarine or Galina's, both with superior flavour (in my opinion).

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Yellow pears are nuts. Promise you all yoi need is ONE plant

I grew yellow pears last year (only 1 plant) and that thing was huge (over 7 feet tall and spread out with regular trimming) with hundreds of little tomatoes all over it. Unfortunately, I grew it thinking that my kids would love them since they are mild and my kids are huge cherry tomato fans and they wanted nothing to do with them so I don't plan on growing them again. 

JJJessee said:
I'm going to do just 40-50 plants this year. If I can control my self.

Jersey Devil  -  late but highly productive sauce tomato last year. I'll do about 14 plants

How big did your Jersey Devils get? I've got 15 in the grow tent now. I planted them hoping they'll produce similar to the Goat Bag variety I got locally last year. They made tomatoes as big as a quart jar. They were excellent for salsa making. Good Luck with yours

Chris

Chris, they are a big tomato plant, but it takes than a little longer to come around than most tomatoes. The fruits  are about hand length a good three fingers wide. The plants were pruned to one, but mostly two leaders, which hit a 5'-6" trellis line and then I ran them sideways another 2' cordon style. 

Goat Bags, wow!  Are they OP or hybrid?

These are mostly JDs

I am growing these tomatoes this year
Gold Medal
Kellogg
Japanese Black Trifle
Green Zebra
Golden San Marzano Hybrid Tomato
Chocolate cherry
Purple pear
Black Sea Man Tomato

JJJessee said:
Chris, they are a big tomato plant, but it takes than a little longer to come around than most tomatoes. The fruits  are about hand length a good three fingers wide. The plants were pruned to one, but mostly two leaders, which hit a 5'-6" trellis line and then I ran them sideways another 2' cordon style. 

Goat Bags, wow!  Are they OP or hybrid?
I hope they are OP, I'm assuming since the Amish sell them and raise them around here that they'd use heirloom seeds. My plants are from seeds I smeared on a paper towel and kept in a ziploc. The JDs sound very similar to the goat bag in size and shape. They could be the same thing even. I'm sure that goat bag is just a local nickname for them. I've not found any seeds for them online.

Back