• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

What tomatoes are you growing? 2015

Green German
Best Boy
Mortgage Lifter
Green tiger stripe something
Some type of cherry, forgot.

And tons of Amish Paste.  If you make sauce, you really ought to give it a try.  This is the meatiest Roma I have ever grown, big for a Roma too.

Chosen Tomatoes:
IMG_0480.JPG

Backup Tomatoes:
IMG_0491.JPG

Roguejim-

Brimmer is a regular-leaf pink beefsteak and Old Brooks is a red canner type.

Ok campers, here's the list.  Everybody got potted up yesterday and for the first time ever, I managed (purely accidentally, I assure you) to grow enough extras to accommodate the ones that didn't germinate almost EXACTLY, so hardly a leftover plant. Incredible. I couldn't repeat that if I tried.

Red Pastes/Canners

1) Carol Chyko's Big Paste
2) Work Release Paste
3) Jersey Devil
4) Grandma Mary's Paste
5) Santa Maria
6) Long Tom
7) Amish Paste
8) Rebecca Sebastian's Bull Bag
9) Scatalone 2
10) Sausage
11) Baylor Paste
12) Federle

Classic Heirlooms - Craig's book really inspired me and I have a lot of these seeds, so why not.

1) Abraham Lincoln
2) Magnus
3) Livingston's Beauty
4) Livingston's Main Crop Pink
5) Stone
6) Aker's West Virginia
7) Large Pink Bulgarian
8) German Head
9) Germaid Red
10) Polish Ellis
11) Arkansas Traveller
12) Ponderosa

Oxhearts

1) Nicky Crain
2) Orlinyi Klyuv - this is a FANTASTIC tomato that I got from a dear friend in Belarus who was only able to send me 5 seeds. I grew it out one year and wasn't able to save seeds - I can't remember why. So happy to have another shot!!
3) Marek's Pointy Heart
4) Mom's Heart
5) Sen-Say
6) Yellow Oxheart
7) Oxheart Giantissimo (extra and believe me, I will find some space for this)

Saladette/Drying

1) Black & Brown Boar
2) Boar's Hoof
3) Pomodoro a Grappoli Corbarino
4) Blush
5) Green Tiger
6) Pink Tiger

Odd Shapes/Colours

1) Pink Bertoua
2) Shaker Village
3) Brown Derby Mix
4) Striped Sweetheart Dark
5) Captain Lucky
6) Pineapple Pig

Cherries

1) Chadwick Cherry
2) Sungold F1
3) Sweet Carneros Pink
4) Petit Moineau
5) Clackamas Blueberry
6) Sunrise Bumblebee

Experimentals/Extras

1) Stripes of Yore
2) Black Vernissage
3) B2PL2-3-4 F7
4) Pink San Marzano

Determinates/Dwarfs

1) Casady's Folly
2) Earliana
3) Polish Dwarf
4) Dwarf Wild Fred
5) Banjan Roomii
6) Early Annie

Tatiana's Tomatobase has a lot of these varieties if you care to look them up.  I'm a member of Seed Savers Exchange so I do try to grow out new-to-me varieties every year and save all the seed I can.

Well I put my tree tomatoes in the ground today. Tomorrow I'm transferring my anaga red/pink plants into larger containers. Got some yellow ones I need to transplant as well.

Yesterday I finally transplanted my 87 selected tomatoes into the ground.

IMG_1095.JPG

The final list (for now XD):

1. [SIZE=8pt]Aunt Ruby's German Green  x3[/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=8pt]Berkeley Tie-Dye Green x3[/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=8pt]Berkeley Tie-Dye Pink x3[/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=8pt]Better Boy x3[/SIZE]
  5. [SIZE=8pt]Big Brandy x3[/SIZE]
  6. [SIZE=8pt]Big Bunch x3 [/SIZE]
  7. [SIZE=8pt]Black From Tula x3 [/SIZE]
  8. [SIZE=8pt]Brandywine Pink x3[/SIZE]
  9. [SIZE=8pt]Brandywine Yellow x3[/SIZE]
  10. [SIZE=8pt]Cherokee Purple x6[/SIZE]
  11. [SIZE=8pt]German Johnson x1[/SIZE]
  12. [SIZE=8pt]Giant Oxheart x1[/SIZE]
  13. [SIZE=8pt]Grandma's Pick x3[/SIZE]
  14. [SIZE=8pt]Hillbilly x3[/SIZE]
  15. [SIZE=8pt]Indigo Apple x3[/SIZE]
  16. [SIZE=8pt]Indigo Blue Beauty x3[/SIZE]
  17. [SIZE=8pt]Jasper Cherry x3[/SIZE]
  18. [SIZE=8pt]Mortgage Lifter x3[/SIZE]
  19. [SIZE=8pt]Mr Stripey x6 [/SIZE]
  20. [SIZE=8pt]Mule team x1[/SIZE]
  21. [SIZE=8pt]Park's Whopper x3[/SIZE]
  22. [SIZE=8pt]Paul Robeson x3[/SIZE]
  23. [SIZE=8pt]Pineapple x6[/SIZE]
  24. [SIZE=8pt]Pink Girl  x6[/SIZE]
  25. [SIZE=8pt]Roma (determinate) x4[/SIZE]
  26. [SIZE=8pt]Rutgars CS Space Select x3[/SIZE]
  27. [SIZE=8pt]Willamette VF x3[/SIZE]

ajdrew said:
And tons of Amish Paste.  If you make sauce, you really ought to give it a try.  This is the meatiest Roma I have ever grown, big for a Roma too.

Amish Paste is an awesome paste type. And the first couple sets of the season it makes huuuuuuuuuge maters.

BamsBBQ, just an FYI if you haven't grown Yellow Pear or Black Cherry before, both of those plants can easily get over 9 ft tall, so you'll want to stake them well.

Noah Yates, good list there.  I'm growing Oxheart Giantissimo which could very well be the same variety as your Giant Oxheart.  That one I will be using for sauce - oxhearts are usually quite meaty and seed stingy like paste tomatoes.  Still, after years of growing all sorts of heirlooms, Black From Tula remains my favourite black beefsteak.  Enjoy your BLTs this summer!

Thank you.  Regarding the giant oxheart, this is my frist time growing it and I have to say its the poorest growing variety I have ever grown.  Slowest germinator, slowest grower etc... I hope it does well in the end, because I was particularly interested in the variety.  I acquired the seeds from reimer's.

Sorellina said:
BamsBBQ, just an FYI if you haven't grown Yellow Pear or Black Cherry before, both of those plants can easily get over 9 ft tall, so you'll want to stake them well.

Noah Yates, good list there.  I'm growing Oxheart Giantissimo which could very well be the same variety as your Giant Oxheart.  That one I will be using for sauce - oxhearts are usually quite meaty and seed stingy like paste tomatoes.  Still, after years of growing all sorts of heirlooms, Black From Tula remains my favourite black beefsteak.  Enjoy your BLTs this summer!
thank you very much for that info.... they will be staked well now

Added Red San Marzano ,Parks Beefy Boy Hybrid ,Black Cherry & old German .
I been given back left over tomatoes form my friend that I gave him some are parks beefy boys hybrids the other is big boy hybrids .
I got to figure what to do with those might just put them in moms old garden spot .
The Old Germans & Beefy boy tomatoes are in the same bed together hope they cross thinking of saving seed form the old german tomatoes

I have some indeterminate tomatoes this year. I was wondering is there a huge difference between when a plant is sending out shoots from the leaves that are going to be flowers and those that will be suckers. Or do you just have a wait till they get a little bigger to tell?

Never mind, I just read an article stating everything from the leaf are suckers and flowers jut out from the stem.

Now you know.

Hey, tomato guys! I'm not trying to hijack this thread but wanted your advice. As a side project, I help a small organic farm (10 rows about 75 feet long). We are planting the tomato and pepper seedlings outside this week. I am thinking about alternating the two like this:

T-P-T-P

The idea would be to provide more humidity and shade for the peppers, as it gets hot here in the summer. BUT, I'm worried the peppers may get swallowed up by the tomatoes later in the season. Perhaps it would better to alternate only determinate (smaller) tomatoes with the peppers, and keep the indeterminate tomatoes together by themselves? Would it be better to keep the peppers in rows by themselves? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Back