• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What varieties have defeated you?

Monzano (looking better this year, got some LOCAL heirloom seeds)
Any thing from NMSU... tried Hatch, 6-4, heritage, and big jim. bug magnets!!! I suspect GMO, :rofl:
White Bhut
habanero chocolate... but Jamaican Hot Chocolate is good, are they the same thing but different OP's?

Selective breeding is completely different, as well has hybridizing and intentional crosses.

Not to Europeans it isn't. Anyway while not directly injecting DNA into a plant, selective breeding does modify a plants characteristics as does hybridization. While a jalabanero isn't the same as an ear of corn with flying frog DNA injected into it, it's still genetically modified. I realize it's unnatural for frog and corn to cross, but it's not natural for jalapenos and habaneros to make sweet love either and neither would likely happen without mankinds gentle nudge for progress.

From the European Commission: Genetically modified organisms (GMOs) are officially defined in the EU legislation as "organisms in which the genetic material (DNA) has been altered in a way that does not
occur naturally by mating and/or natural recombination".

Jalabanero is not genetically modified according to that definition. If you have an habanero plant growing next to a jalapeno plant there is a good chance that they will naturally cross.

It does not count as gmo because you are not modifying the genetics of an organism when crossing. To create a "GMO" you have to damage a strand of DNA and a bunch of other scientific stuff I don't feel like writing

I totally agree poypoy

And to get this back on track, the Chocolate Habanero has so far defeated me as well. I still have not successfully gotten a pod or even one into the ground yet.

And to get this back on track, the Chocolate Habanero has so far defeated me as well. I still have not successfully gotten a pod or even one into the ground yet.
If you don't get it into the ground you've defeated yourself! ;)
I do agree that "defeated" is a bit of hyperbole, but it makes for a better thread title. And nothing tastes better than hot buttered frog corn. :)

I've always been able to sprout Capsicum chinense, but once outside in my garden. they have never produced pods. At some point, they all stopped growing. I have had no problems with Capsicum annuum or Capsicum baccatum.

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]" And nothing tastes better than hot buttered frog corn. [/background] :) "

I like the F6 version of frog corn that has cow and Jellyfish genes in it.

It,the corn, butters itself and has a nice sting/bite with the heat.Glows in the dark too.

Peppers don't mess with me hardly at all.
I have tons of Mites,Leaf Miners etc. that are fat and sassy.
They love my plants,especially the ones they see me checking out the most(rare stuff or stuff I only had 1 seed for).

Didn't mean to get off track but peppers don't really defeat me. The chiltepin was the biggest struggle for me personally, with a rocoto being the second most trying. I have a harder time growing onions than peppers.

The chocolate habanero seeds I purchased last year only produced one scraggly plant that surprisngly looked like it was going to come in with a nice crown until all of the peppers fell off one by one before they were ripe. This year I planted the 10 remaining seeds and none of them germinated. Its probably bad seed stock.

Only my Bhut Jolokia Brown has failed (so far) to germinate. Everything else has come up - Morugas, Naga Morich, Brain Strains (Y + R), 7 pot Jonah, 7 Pot Long, 7 Pot Primo.. just waiting and waiting and waiting for the Brown Bhuts. The seedlings for the Jonahs seem much more delicate than the rest however - they are thinner, and I have lost two of them already for some reason, while everything else has been great.

It's not entirely the same but I spent all of last summer lovingly growing 2 Fatalli plants just to find I'd been mis-sold the seeds by the seller, and that they were actually C. annuum of some variety. I was not happy.

The seedlings for the Jonahs seem much more delicate than the rest however - they are thinner, and I have lost two of them already for some reason, while everything else has been great.
My Jonah seedlings seem a little delicate compared my others. My hardiest ones so far are Reapers and Bhuts.
It's not entirely the same but I spent all of last summer lovingly growing 2 Fatalli plants just to find I'd been mis-sold the seeds by the seller, and that they were actually C. annuum of some variety. I was not happy.
Burpee did that to me last year. Thought I was growing habs, they turned out to be Hungarian wax.

I swear if I get my Chocolate Habs and Trinidad Scorpions to produce peppers just to find out they're actually cacti or chestnut trees or something, I'll ruin the sellers.

Back