• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What varieties have defeated you?

I know in the past pumpkins have avoided fruiting in my gardens, and this year all my peppers sprouted except Butch T's. Being my first year for super hots, and possibly a bad seed batch, I chalk it up to better luck next time. Has anyone here had any particular trouble with certain varieties, be it no sprouts, low yields, or anything where everything else did good, but this one just vexed you?

Last season, I could not get my jalapenos to produce. It's okay though, I can buy them for less money than actually growing them. My other plants were very prolific, so of the 24 plants growing now, zero are jalapeno...

Datils! This was my third attempt at datils, they didn't even germinate this year. The last two years I managed to grow beautiful plants that never produced. Next year I am sourcing new seeds. 35 varieties this year and only datils and BB Douglah didn't germ.

C.ciliatum got my gander. Only capsicum that has never sprouted for me. I have a batch that I sowed 2 weeks ago so fingers crossed!

I don't look at seeds not sprouting or plants as not producing as a defeat - I look at it as a learning experience and, often, as a challenge. Pubs? First year I think I got 5 pods, total, off of 3 plants. Yet I overwintered them, and added two more plants. Now I am trying to find that mix of temperature, sun, shade, ferts that they like. I also noted that the two plants I added did not produce well their first year, receiving the same attention as those in the 2nd year, while the 2nd year plants produced much more. So it could be simply a matter of patience - they may simply not be high producers their first year - or a combination of patience and learning what is right for this variety.

Outside of that, I acknowledge that some plants just won't make it in certain growing conditions. I have massive Russian Sage plants in my front yard. They receive full sun all day and love it. A neighbor a few blocks away planted Russian Sage in his yard the same year I did, but he lives in an area totally surrounded by trees that are probably 60 ft. tall and shade his entire yard all day. His Russian Sage is struggling, to say the least. Defeat? No, just a poor choice of plant given his growing conditions, as Russian Sage really is a full-sun plant.

i have been markedly unsatisfied with the production of rocotos and manzanos- just not enough fruit for the effort.

Datils! This was my third attempt at datils, they didn't even germinate this year. The last two years I managed to grow beautiful plants that never produced. Next year I am sourcing new seeds. 35 varieties this year and only datils and BB Douglah didn't germ.

Lmk if your growing season can still be saved LOL. I got good germ rate from seeds that "RedTailForester" gave me. Shoot me your addy if you want some.

,Vegas

Edit: For me the TS moruga blend didn't germ...

i have pure espelette seed directly from Espelette reguion in france.... out of about 50 seeds 3 gave hooks !!! very hard time with those.. but my seeds from my espelettre grown last year got a much better yeild (over90%)...

and this year i have a cross Douglah x Butch T no hooks yet... i think i have some F? problem... like hard to have vialble seeds...

anyway keeping up.. will plant more i still have about 30 seeds for that hybrid

i have pure espelette seed directly from Espelette reguion in france.... out of about 50 seeds 3 gave hooks !!! very hard time with those.. but my seeds from my espelettre grown last year got a much better yeild (over90%)...

and this year i have a cross Douglah x Butch T no hooks yet... i think i have some F? problem... like hard to have vialble seeds...

anyway keeping up.. will plant more i still have about 30 seeds for that hybrid

The Doughlah x Butch T seeds I got were viable, but slow. I think I ended up with 12 out of 15.

Any of the sweet pepper varieties for me. I can produce copious amounts of hot pods but I hardly ever get more than a few pods from the sweet varieties.

This is my first season trying to grow really hot peppers, but I had really poor luck with Bhuts, and 7pots so far, but I managed to get some Naga Morich, Scorpion Morugas to come up though. It could be my lack of experience with these types of seeds, but I think in my case more of it has to do with the seeds then anything, For me this is a hobby and I am learning and enjoying myself. I already know some changes I would like to make next year, but not sure if I want to put even more time and effort into this yet.

I have my second round of hots that I am trying to germinate, but if they do not come up soon then I am throwing in the towel on them for this season. I already have 35 types of pepper seedlings up so I should have plenty of peppers as it is. And I need to start getting tomatoes going and hopefully get stuff ready to build/put up either cold frames or poly tunnel. As for the super hots that I can not get going, I am looking at it as gods way of trimming down my grow list that was out of control.

For me it is Beefsteak varieties of tomatoes...Too hot here, they produce poorly, and the few fruits end up with lots of cracks.....
On the other hand, the Cherry,Pear, and Plum Tomato Varieties go crazy producing fruit! I made and froze probably 12 gallons of spaghetti sauce from just the cherry tomatoes last season :)

"Defeated" is a strong word, but this year, I've generally had the best germination ever except out of two packages of seeds each, no Choc. Habs and no Reapers. I'm going to keep them in the germinator for a while though so see if they ever germ. Maybe they are just slow.

Big Mike
Visit us Online: Knot2Worry

I wouldn't call it defeat but chiltepin took me 2 years to even get viable seedlings, and then despite getting 4 feet tall the only surviving plant produced only 3 pods lol. I overwintered it and got pods the following year but 4 years from first attempt to edible (and delicious!) pea sized pods made me reevaluate my grow list.

Also I can grow hot peppers but can't grow an onion to save my life.

Hawaiian Sweet-Hot. Killed by:
Damping off
Slugs
Dug up by dogs
Pulled as a "weed"
Aphids
Soil dried out
Late cold snap

I have never had such bad luck with any other variety. On a positive note, I have had 100% germination success with them, but the seedlings or young plants always meet an untimely demise.

Revised. Have two Reapers up now. Maybe I'll just post re my balky varieties here in the future and they will pop up...

Big Mike

I wouldn't call it defeat but chiltepin took me 2 years to even get viable seedlings, and then despite getting 4 feet tall the only surviving plant produced only 3 pods lol. I overwintered it and got pods the following year but 4 years from first attempt to edible (and delicious!) pea sized pods made me reevaluate my grow list.

Also I can grow hot peppers but can't grow an onion to save my life.

took you 2 years and Armac has to mow them in his backyard.... Ain't that something?

Pepperhead I'm in the same boat. All have hooked for me except my butch T's... strange

Back