• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

preservation What vinegar do you recommend?

I read in another post that our leader has specific tastes in vinegar, and uses certain vinegars for certain recipes.

What about yourself? Do you have a favourite vinegar, and what is it best used on? ;)

Pepperfreak you need more cowbell. But on a more serious note I have only ever use white but I do think it depends on what kinds of ingredients are in the recipe> I know apple vinegar is a very popular one to use to.

I really like to use white wine vinegar, nice sweet flavor to add on the chinense chile flavors.
I've tried the red wine vinegar but I think its a very sweet flavor, kinda over powering if you use to much.
apple cider vinegar is good, alot better than the harsh tasting basic white vinegar.
others here have said that other speciality vinegars taste great.

if you dont have the options of other vinegars besides the basic white vinegar, try to use a little more lime or lemon juice than the basic vinegar to give it a better taste.

scarpetti said:
I just use white distilled vinegar. I've tried apple cider vinegar but was not happy with the end results. It took over a lot of the flavor.

Agree fully. I threw down the gutter, about 500 ml of expensive sauce after using apple cider vinegar. My all spices aromas along with Naga Jolokias were totally masked by the freaking vinegar smell....er stink.:mad::censored:
Just use white distilled vinegar . It is best.

NJA

+3 on NOT apple cider vinegar. Harsh and overbearing, and quite disgusting, as I have posted before. Last on my list, never use it. I prefer white distilled over ACV big time, especially if you want a pretty neutral vinegar for the purpose of liquidity and preservation. My other vinegars are trade secrets. But do some experimenting and you will soon have your own favorites.

For a garlic and onion based sauce I used Bock beer and a Bock beer vinegar and the sauce came out great. But I wouldn't use that combo for more sweet or fruity sauces. I like white balsamico vinegar. It has a smooth mellow taste and doesn't overpower the other flavors.

Back