• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What Year Is The Best Producing for Peppers?

AlabamaJack

eXtreme
I had kind of strayed on the superhot thread and tossed a bait comment out for this thread...

What year does a pepper plant produce its greatest yield?....

For me, of course it is the second year plant because this is the first year I have grown peppers as perrenials instead of annuals...

So, I suppose this thread is a request of the "older" growers, not meaning age, but pepper growing experience...

I definitely will cutback and grow thru winter as many plants as I can based on the results of the cutback O. Hab results.

Here is a picture from19 December 2007...cutback date was 5 December 2007

12-19-07CutbackOrangeHab.jpg

8-31-08 picture, so almost 9 months from cutback....

083108a001.jpg

What I would really like here is a good discusion on the different techniques the different growers use to get their plants through the winter and in their experience, what is the best year for production....

My best producer so far is Bird's Eye, with Dutch Red and Aji White Wax and some Rocotos coming close.

I overwinter my plants in a room with that is not too warm throughout winter but no frost with some light, but not too much, definitely less than on a window sill. I cut back in ~February. I wanna try overwintering some in the house in my garden this year, just to see how they'll be doing.

I am overwintering plants that did well throughout the season. They shouild be healthy and good producers and I have to be sure what it is. I hav never overwintered a plant into its third year, but in theory, the third year should be even better and so on... Up to a certian point of course.

Wow! That hab is beautiful!
My best producers seem to have been my birds eye/ piri piri which have fought against heat, drought, my unknown poisoning episode the other month. The seeds fall on the ground (I have them planted in a field in ruts and water the rut once a week leaving them to dry out in between) and where the seeds fall new plants spring up. I wish my others would do the same.
I am also interested in over wintering techniques. I was considering buying a polytunnel but car repairs needing to replace my broken washing machine and my cat needing to go to the vets bought the end to that plan! So instead I am going to build a small greenhouse from clear plastic and see what happens.
Kind Regards
Tori

Bhutt/Bih/Dorset/morich all produce better in there second year and onwards my cousins Dorsets and bhutts are massive producers :)

A lot of people say that Tepins produce better in their second year but as this is my first year growing them I can't say.

My third year plants aren't producing nearly as well as the previous two years but even most of my 2nd year plants aren't doing as well as expected due to the crappy weather. The biggest plants I ever grew were 1st year plants but I expect that to change next year.
I've already posted how I overwinter on other threads but I will repeat that aphids will give you nightmares, especially if you are "growing" through winter.
Here's a new pic of my overwintered Guadaloupe hab with probably a few hundred pods still left on it, and some are huge.

2818037516_c593d69ae2.jpg

Its nearly impossible to get a pic of all the pods, but here's some anyways

2818037528_9d171f6fa7.jpg

POTAWIE said:
My third year plants aren't producing nearly as well as the previous two years but even most of my 2nd year plants aren't doing as well as expected due to the crappy weather. The biggest plants I ever grew were 1st year plants but I expect that to change next year.

I've already posted how I overwinter on other threads but I will repeat that aphids will give you nightmares, especially if you are "growing" through winter.

Thanks Potawie for posting again...I assume what I am doing is called "growing" thru winter instead of overwintering since I am not trying to bring the plant to a dormant state...I am probably going to try to "overwinter" some this year too...trimming roots/top back and keeping in a darkened place...that is something I have to start reading on....

PeteyPepper said:
Hey AJ, that Hab plant should be in some type of chili magazine! Seriously. It is that spectacular.:cool:

tori said:
Wow! That hab is beautiful!
My best producers seem to have been my birds eye/ piri piri which have fought against heat, drought, my unknown poisoning episode the other month. The seeds fall on the ground (I have them planted in a field in ruts and water the rut once a week leaving them to dry out in between) and where the seeds fall new plants spring up. I wish my others would do the same.
I am also interested in over wintering techniques. I was considering buying a polytunnel but car repairs needing to replace my broken washing machine and my cat needing to go to the vets bought the end to that plan! So instead I am going to build a small greenhouse from clear plastic and see what happens.
Kind Regards
Tori

thanks ya'll...

I have in mind to cutback and grow thru winter this orange hab, a T. Scorpion, D. Naga, 7 Pot, Bih Jolokia, Bhut Jolokia, Red Savina, and Naga Morich....I will also try and overwinter the same list and even more...

I just hope I am as successful with them as I have been with the O. Hab this year...

Potawie hit the nail on the head...aphids, aphids, aphids...I know I will have to fight them from the word go but am willing to try...

I completely blew the overwintering. My orange hab had too much light and grew back almost immediately to it's original size.

I cut back the light and it died back.

This year it is 1/8 of it's size this time last year and has a couple of flowers........

OOPS.

With the way it vigorously grew back the first time, I am sure that a proper second year plant would be light years beyond the first year.

I tried to turn last years Orange Hab into a bonsai chilli just by cutting it back severely and chopping the root ball so not much was left. It looks OK but I think I chose the wrong chilli type for a bonsai (it's not very bonsai like), it's all I had at the time when I decided to do it though.

Yours do OK "growing through AJ? I would have assumed that without a dormancy, the "grow through" is like another season, thus reducing the effective life.

Then again, my orange hab would probably have been a lot better if it hadn't gotten so unhappy and dropped all of it's leaves before spring!

I have never cut back a pepper plant for the winter. I have tried to continue to grow an orange hab and a tabasco last winter in a south facing window. Never cut them back and both got very woody with some new growth lower on the plant. I will cut back several favorites this year including a Bhut Jolokia, a Naga Morich, a Trinidad Scorpion, and a Chocolate Hab. I just hope one of those plants makes it like AJ's Orange Hab. Timely topic.

I am going to try to overwinter 10-15 plants. Many will be severely cutback. For sure, I'm doing 3-4 Douglahs, a special Bih, a few wilds, and a Yellow Tepin type. I usually don't succeed well, but I'll try.

I WILL NOT bring the plants to my grow area downstairs in fear they'll attract aphids that'll attack next years' seedlings. It's not worth it.

Chris

I hear a lot of different methods of overwintering peppers. I guess I'd like a breakdown as to what conditions do you grow your cut back peppers in...dark, light, cool, warm, water..how often? Maybe a sort of FAQ for keeping peppers alive over the winter. I have no idea of where to begin except to trim off the plant and roots, repot and go from there.

Where is Willard????

He has a stump of a dead looking twig that is evidently proper overwintering.

You cut off all leaves and roots so that you have a dead twig looking thing.

Store that at 35F or so (not freezing, but not warm) all winter.

NO light.

No water.

Etc.

9 months later, harvest copious amounts of peppers.

;)

Ok I did things backwards, posted above then used search. Good information but.... my questions didn't get answered. It's not practical to use the shop lights for the overwinter ones when they have to be used for seeds. Temperature wise we can't afford to heat the garage so it's either they go to the spare bedroom with natural light and heat or we try to keep them barely alive in the garage and use some portable heater to give them warmth. Hey paint freezes in that garage so I doubt peppers will make it without help. I definitely have more questions than answers. Thanks for any help you can give.

Leaving peppers in the ground?

As always there is very useful information and my question may have all ready been answered. I would like to know if I can keep some plants in the ground or leave the ones in pots outside thru winter Naga Morrich, Trinidad Scorpion, 7 pot, Fatalli. I live in Southern California Last winter I did not have a single day with frost warnings the year before we had two. I have two Guam boonies that I dug up last winter cut them back pretty good and put them in pots left them outside and they grew back ok But would this work with the super hots. Do I have to bring them indoors? Aphids big problem.

I lived about 30 minutes from you for about 5 years. You shouldn't have any troblem over wintering them. Just make sure to cover them if you get a frost.

Back