• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

whats happening to my plant ?

i repotted this root bound hab plant 2 weeks ago. still no signs or recovery.
yellowing of leafs still continuing :( and new foliage looking stunted.
wp000171.jpg

a closeup to the new foliage
wp000173.jpg

i have not fertilized it yet. how did i repot? i just pulled it out whole. and put in new bigger pot and added soil to fill the gaps and watered it down well to make the soil settle.
2 weeks already now. this weekend i am going to cut off the drying branches and fertilize it with some balanced fert. 8-8-8 mgo3 +te

Hi srin2

See you have your self another dilemma?:(

I know that you do a lot of research yourself and now looking for personal experience comparisons and remedy.
Some times it is difficult for outsiders to asses the problem, not knowing the entire history of the plant.

I believe it to be a lack of calcium and magnesium.

My life's experience tells me when the leaves are small and puckered between veins it is a lack of Ca.
Magnesium combines with other elements such as nitrogen to make the chlorophyll.
Plants lacking enough magnesium turn yellow due to lack of chlorophyll and slow or stop growing.

Just my thoughts, wish you well! Jeff

srin wish i could offer some advice..not really sure. It does look like plant needs some calcium but that wouldnt cause all that I dont think. How much did you mess with the root ball? I typically don't mess with the roots much..maybe loosen up the very bottom at most.

Hi srin2

See you have your self another dilemma?:(

I know that you do a lot of research yourself and now looking for personal experience comparisons and remedy.
Some times it is difficult for outsiders to asses the problem, not knowing the entire history of the plant.

I believe it to be a lack of calcium and magnesium.

My life's experience tells me when the leaves are small and puckered between veins it is a lack of Ca.
Magnesium combines with other elements such as nitrogen to make the chlorophyll.
Plants lacking enough magnesium turn yellow due to lack of chlorophyll and slow or stop growing.

Just my thoughts, wish you well! Jeff
thanks jeff. i just added some calcium and some chicken pooh fert. tomorrow will add some epsom salt.

When you re-potted, were the roots nice and white or more of a brown color?

wp000124.jpg

it was white and nice.

srin wish i could offer some advice..not really sure. It does look like plant needs some calcium but that wouldnt cause all that I dont think. How much did you mess with the root ball? I typically don't mess with the roots much..maybe loosen up the very bottom at most.
i did not mess the root ball at all.

this is the update of the plant . its getting worst by the day. everyday there is leaf drop. :(
what should i do ? should i trim the plant and hope it grows back ?
WP_000206.jpg

In my experience, root bound stayed that way even into a new pot, so I always rip um open. I know if I transplant anything of size, i use a shovel to cut 50 pct of the root ball, and leave it alone for a month. When ya dig it up, the cut areas have nice fine roots coming out as new growth and really seems to help with the shock also. :beer:

i thought that we should not mess the root ball AREA.
I never mess with the rootball with chiles. Most of my plants go through at least 5 re-pottings per season and personally I've never had a problem with stalled roots.

The plant looks deprived of some vital nutrient. I recommend trimming all the dead leaves and branches off the plant.

Make sure you have some good soil with time release fertilizer.

Try foliar feeding with dilute fish emulsion and epsom salts.

Some make and some don't.....

In my experience, root bound stayed that way even into a new pot, so I always rip um open. I know if I transplant anything of size, i use a shovel to cut 50 pct of the root ball, and leave it alone for a month. When ya dig it up, the cut areas have nice fine roots coming out as new growth and really seems to help with the shock also. :beer:
thanks. i have to do something this weekend to fix this.

I never mess with the rootball with chiles. Most of my plants go through at least 5 re-pottings per season and personally I've never had a problem with stalled roots.
5 repotting !! how do you know when to repot? i think i was a bit late as it got lots of leaf drop before i repotted and it continued leaf drops after repotting :((

The plant looks deprived of some vital nutrient. I recommend trimming all the dead leaves and branches off the plant.

Make sure you have some good soil with time release fertilizer.

Try foliar feeding with dilute fish emulsion and epsom salts.

Some make and some don't.....

ok thanks for the tips. i will remove the plant from the pot again and see how's it going in the root area before deciding what to do.

Newbie here...So when I go to repot the babies into a bigger pot and the roots are all tightly packed in a nice ball, should I kinda losen them up or leave them be? On my jalapenos and cayennes in the past I've always just kinda lightly knocked some of the dirt off the roots but mostly left them alone.

The plant might be recovering. New growth seen. Looks better then the earlier stunted growth. The branches with all leaf drops are slowly drying. Have to trim those branches and hope for a full recovery. Will try to post some pics tomorrow.

When I repot a nice rootbound plant, I like to rip the root ball apart, make the plant puts out new roots...
Thats what I've done too. Cut away the excess so it can stretch out & start new growth. Works for me.

Wondering if its some kind of blight because the soil must be good as srin2 seems to know a thing or two about nutrients/ferts?

How often are you watering? Over watering can cause leaves to go yellow and drop aswell as new growth to curl up.

Back