• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

What's wrong with my last year's batch?

Could someone tell me what's wrong with my last year's batch? As seen on the picture, the top part of the sauce got much darker. I didn't like the taste of this sauce anyway, but I kept it sealed on my shelf just to monitor if there's anything changing...and it seems like it is.

UJ3Ystq.jpg

Yes Walchit - oxidation for sure.  It has happened to me with yellow & light colored batches before.  It does not affect taste or food safety, but it can seem unsightly.  I try to shake my lighter colored batches once a month and that seems to help.  

SmokenFire said:
Yes Walchit - oxidation for sure.  It has happened to me with yellow & light colored batches before.  It does not affect taste or food safety, but it can seem unsightly.  I try to shake my lighter colored batches once a month and that seems to help.  
I figured it some sort of oxidation...but is it normal to happen even if the cap is sealed??

Yep...what they said.

I have a very light colored (white-ish) sauce that turns grey even when in the boxes. It's even worse in the store with fluorescent lights.

Back