• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health whats wrong with this plant

laserbeam said:
post-15489-0-39555800-1599591153_thumb.jpg
Yellow Chile, no good...

If it were me, i'd take 1 lemon and squeeze it into 1 gallon of water and drench that plant then don't water it till its feather light,,, FEATHERWEIGHT.

Works for me when my plants get the yellow Chile look. Then follow up with some nitrogen heavy fert next watering. But wait to water till feather weight.

My ph is always over 7 here in sFlorida, even with a acidic peat based media. Doesn't take but a couple rain storms to bring ph way up.... Just a drizzle will even do it...

Even after a lemon water treatment my ph is almost impossible to even get temporarily below 6.5.... But thats ok as they seem to thrive with fruit at around 7ph for me...

My bet, measure your ph, it will be real high... root lock out.

jmo

acs1 said:
If it were me, i'd take 1 lemon and squeeze it into 1 gallon of water and drench that plant then don't water it till its feather light,,, FEATHERWEIGHT.
You'd best be careful with that, fella... A whole lemon worth of juice in a gallon of water is going to give you a solution with pH in the low 3's, on average.  A gallon of water requires little more than a few drops of lemon juice, to get down into compensation territory. 
My beds easily hit 8-8.5 on the pH.  Rain water will rise to 8+ fairly easily.  If I need pH specific nutes, and all I have is lemons, I find that about 5-7 drops gets me from pH 8-ish to around pH 6-ish in fairly short order.

Highly forgiving?  I've been trying to grow these peppers for 2 summers already  and I just now got some.  I assume drying the root system is digging up the plant and letting the roots dry out?  I've never done this before, how long to dry them out?  I was going to bring the sick one in the house for the winter will it be in shock for long.  I do have some peppers on it should I wait till they ripen before dryiong it out?
Thank you for all the replies sorry about the pictures.

Attachments

• pepper plant.jpg
    pepper plant.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 79
  • peppers.jpg
    peppers.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 84
solid7 said:
You'd best be careful with that, fella... A whole lemon worth of juice in a gallon of water is going to give you a solution with pH in the low 3's, on average.  A gallon of water requires little more than a few drops of lemon juice, to get down into compensation territory. 
My beds easily hit 8-8.5 on the pH.  Rain water will rise to 8+ fairly easily.  If I need pH specific nutes, and all I have is lemons, I find that about 5-7 drops gets me from pH 8-ish to around pH 6-ish in fairly short order.
Guess my lemons aren't that potent... lol

Just treated my ph in some plants today. Here is the ph of my 1 lemon to 1 gal water. Right under 5ph

pqtt6Hm.jpg

Here is the run off water from a just treated BT Scorpion with fruit, but starting to get a little yellow, about 6.5 ph. Media was already wet, then I drenched it with about 1/4-1/2 gal of lemon water in a #5 fabric container in your media formula...

eNaoZGQ.jpg

laserbeam said:
Highly forgiving?  I've been trying to grow these peppers for 2 summers already  and I just now got some.  I assume drying the root system is digging up the plant and letting the roots dry out?  I've never done this before, how long to dry them out?  I was going to bring the sick one in the house for the winter will it be in shock for long.  I do have some peppers on it should I wait till they ripen before dryiong it out?
Thank you for all the replies sorry about the pictures.

Yes, highly forgiving.  For reference, try growing orchids.  Most other plants outside of their "natural" environment, aren't nearly as easy to grow as plants in this family.  To grow peppers successfully, one really only needs a very basic knowledge of growing. If this doesn't work out, suggest going back to pothos. :D
I'm not completely convinced as to the watering diagnosis, because I've honestly never seen a plant retains its "turgor" this well, while having such a malady of coloration.  This plant looks to have been growing quite well, before it became chlorophyllically challenged.
Keep in mind, I've screwed up a lot of plants, a lot of different ways - just not like this.  So if someone else can claim authoritatively that they have the answer to your issue here - especially if they have pics on the forum - you'd do well to listen to them.  I haven't seen these particular parameters before, but it doesn't mean that I'm not considering something else, or just haven't gotten around to doing it this way, yet.  But, I find that most issues for hobby growers begin in the media, and are often treated with a comprehensive approach. (rather than an "a la carte" - add this or that)

acs1 said:
I would have to say that this is the case, because lemons, undiluted, are around 2 on the pH scale. I use them alot when I'm in a pinch, so I threw that 5-7 drops right off the top of my head (and that's actually what I'll use, reliably).  But a quick google search for using lemons as pH down, gave me a shitty wiki how article, that isn't too far off from my suggestion:

https://www.wikihow.com/Lower-the-pH-of-Water#:~:text=If%20you%20put%201%E2%81%84,be%20sure%20it's%20100%25%20pure.&text=You%20can%20also%20use%20citric,in%20a%20little%20water%20first.

If you put 1⁄8  tsp (0.62 mL) of lemon juice in 1 US gal (3,800 mL) of water, you can lower the pH by about 1.5 points.

Based on this, you'd be in serious trouble if you put a whole lemon into your mix.  

Maybe you just need a better pH meter :D

solid7 said:
Based on this, you'd be in serious trouble if you put a whole lemon into your mix.  

Maybe you just need a better pH meter :D
What type of serious trouble, Chiles to hot..? :D

Oh, and I never put a whole gallon in any plant, 1/4-1/2 gal till run off at the most, for a big plant.

Meter has been verified with my 2nd delicate electronic digital ph meter. For my purpose, the cheap easy to use less delicate one in my pics is plenty accurate enough to get me exactly where I want to be. Do I need to get down to 1/10 point..?

acs1 said:

Just treated my ph in some plants today. Here is the ph of my 1 lemon to 1 gal water. Right under 5ph

pqtt6Hm.jpg

Here is the run off water from a just treated BT Scorpion with fruit, but starting to get a little yellow, about 6.5 ph. Media was already wet, then I drenched it with about 1/4-1/2 gal of lemon water in a #5 fabric container in your media formula...

eNaoZGQ.jpg
I could be wrong here, but I don't think that meter is made for checking the water. I have two meters almost identical ( I think mine have a different name on them). The ones I have said in the directions not to submerge in liquid, but to use in soil only.

Mr.joe said:
I could be wrong here, but I don't think that meter is made for checking the water. I have two meters almost identical ( I think mine have a different name on them). The ones I have said in the directions not to submerge in liquid, but to use in soil only.

I agree. {Soil Master} is written on the device!

Mr.joe said:

I agree. {Soil Master} is written on the device!

I already said the meter has been verified by a digital electronic PH meter, you can believe it or not. You guys can make fun of my cheap meter, doesn't much matter to me. Its more or less right on the money. I've got 3 ph meters.

Not sure what meter you have Joe, but above (my) meter's manual says to take a soil sample and mix it with water, then test with the meter. So water isn't a problem for this meter.  And its the oldest meter I've got, got to be 5+ years old, as all the expensive electronic ones seem to break easily/quickly from everyday garden use...

Regardless of mud, soil, water run off, meter works fine for our purposes, and has been checked numerous times. We don't need to be exact to the 1/10 imo. This is not hydroponics here, its potting media.

solid7 said:
You'd best be careful with that, fella...
You still haven't answered my question, what exactly does that mean..?

Well, my plant just treated with lemon water is now almost completely green in 3 days... Ever since S7 told me about lemon water ph adjuster long time ago, I've had great success with it, when its needed. As I have a nice lemon tree and high ph in small containers is a common problem here in sFL.

Anyhow, here is a pic of the 2.5 year old less than perfect, BT Scorpion thats been thru many wars with pests, 3 days after its lemon water treatment showing how nice its greening up. 

yiD5hwf.jpg

here is a young Scotch Bonnet that got the lemon water treatment also, as it was getting that yellow look to it. It has started to turn nicely green.
gKJCnMr.jpg

So once again, trying to help OP, testing ph first is best if you can. If you can't test ph, at this point with your yellow Chile plant maybe just try some lemon water... Here in sFL with high ph very common in containers it works for me. Not sure of your area and what ph your container is. Your pic looks just like some plants I've seen here that responded very well to lemon water.

Maybe S7 could inform us what would happen to your plant if it did not need ph adjusting down and you added lemon water...?

acs1 said:

You still haven't answered my question, what exactly does that mean..?

Maybe S7 could inform us what would happen to your plant if it did not need ph adjusting down and you added lemon water...?

It simply means that if you use too much lemon juice, you could run into a problem with pH being low.  I'm not making up the numbers; lemons are well known, and well-published, to have a pH of ~2.  To use an entire one in a gallon of water, would put the pH of the water, very close to that of the undiluted lemon. (within a point, most likely)  That's not what you want.  Too high or too low, creates a situation where nutrient uptake is disrupted. 
Lemon juice is considered a weak organic acid, and it's doubtful that it stays acidic in the soil for any amount of time, like battery acid might.  However, pH spikes of any kind should be avoided for best plant growth.

Given that lemons can vary from the low 2's to low 3's, and in juice volume of around 2tbsp to 4tbsp, one can expect to see one gallon of water at a ph of 3.813 to 5.111.

Possibly on the weaker it's fine, but do that method untested and you're boned.

OK, I did the lemon juice with 1 gallon of water last Saturday and I think the plant is dying, it lost a lot of leaves.  I will try to post pictures, why can't I do that here in the reply box?

laserbeam said:
OK, I did the lemon juice with 1 gallon of water last Saturday and I think the plant is dying, it lost a lot of leaves.  I will try to post pictures, why can't I do that here in the reply box?

If on mobile click the full version button and that should then give the option to post pictures

Yes the ph was 7.  I'm not on a mobile I'm on a laptop, where in a "reply"  is the option to post a photo?  Or should I start a new topic and post them?

Back